New holster for Ruger SR9c

This is a discussion on New holster for Ruger SR9c within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just finished making an OWB holster for my SR9c. It rides real close, and hides my SR9c real good. Got tired of trying to ...

Thread: New holster for Ruger SR9c

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar

New holster for Ruger SR9c

I just finished making an OWB holster for my SR9c. It rides real close, and hides my SR9c real good.

Got tired of trying to find holsters for fairly new models, so, I decided to start making my own a while back when I first bought a Sig 250, for which no holsters existed. . Now, I've sold off all my commercial holsters and carry my guns only in home made holsters.

This is my IWB:

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

2. Remove Ads

Not what I would call your typical 'homemade' holster...very nicely done.
    You certainly have some 'leather' skills.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Looks good:)

Couple suggestions, that may or may not help:)

Looks like your running Vinegar black or vingroon, you might try using a little carnuba wax or Renaissance wax on as a final finish the surface will get even a darker black doing that(hard to tell though since the photo is a little blown out with flash, might be the picture).

Sweatshield looks like it stops short of the rear of the slide, depending on your pattern, you might want to extend a little further to get full coverage.

You might try going to something with a bit more cant, looks like your between neutral and around 5 degrees, I would try something around 15-25 and the butt of the gun will conceal considerably better.

These might all be things you know, or decided to design around so don't take them as criticism just some ideas based on what I see, overall though good job;) Beware it's addicting before you know it you'll have a full shop and be full time if your not careful:)

Take care!

Luke
    I am the owner/proprietor of www.adamsholsters.com Custom holsters made for you. To contact me please use E-mail rather than Private Messages, luke@adamsholsters.com

GM
    It looks very nice. Congrats!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Good job. I really like the owb holster. Looks like the molding definition around the ejection port faded a little. Usually this happens when you mold leather that is too wet. I have had that happen a lot. I am not a patient man. Looks good. You have skill.
    NRA Life Member

That is exactly how I started out. Looks good and keep up the good work.

Let any of us other holster makers know if you have questions or need a little help.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Thanks to all for the responses and suggestions. As always, I try to digest ALL suggestions, and certainly don't take offense. I usually shoot for a 16 degree cant, but I wanted to see how a straight drop would work since I was thinking appendix carry.

Luke replied: "Looks like your running Vinegar black or vingroon, you might try using a little carnuba wax or Renaissance wax on as a final finish the surface will get even a darker black doing that(hard to tell though since the photo is a little blown out with flash, might be the picture)."

I'm not sure what that is, I suppose some kind of finish. I actually used an Acrylic finish which I've used in the past, and the dye is Fiebings Pro Oil, and for reasons I can't figure, it came out rather dull looking.

pb

Could be the hide what kind of leather are you using? I noticed when I first started some of the import hides just took dye and treatments really weird, very inconsistent. Some would be fine others terrible. Since I went over to Hermann Oak I stopped having those problems(which was before started selling rigs). So look at leather as a possible.

Vinagroon is an odd chemical treatment that turns veg tanned leather black. Take a look at leatherworker.net and do a quick search and you'll find a bunch of info on it. Either way the results of it often look like that washed out kinda grey black color(just like yours;) Usually a light coating of neatsfoot oil and a good wax finish and it turns jet black. The color made me think that was what you were using since it looks just like it;)

Also understand on the further forward carry method, I thought of that when I posted but I wasn't sure how many rigs you'd made or how you changed your design so far;) So I figured I'd take the chance and give the cant pointer in case you hadn't played with it;)

Take care! And like MNBurl said if you have questions ask away, there are enough holster makers here to give advice if you need it;) I will warn you that often times we all have found ways we like to do things and don't always agree on the same way to do it. In other words "there is more than one way to skin a cat" by the old saying;)

Luke
    I am the owner/proprietor of www.adamsholsters.com Custom holsters made for you. To contact me please use E-mail rather than Private Messages, luke@adamsholsters.com

Quote Originally Posted by luke213 View Post
    Could be the hide what kind of leather are you using? I noticed when I first started some of the import hides just took dye and treatments really weird, very inconsistent. Some would be fine others terrible. Since I went over to Hermann Oak I stopped having those problems(which was before started selling rigs). So look at leather as a possible. Luke
    I bought a shoulder from a Tandy factory which is in nearby Tampa. I don't know if it is domestic hide though. I read good things about Hermann Oak, but, the minimum order is about $1000, as you well know.

pb

I'm not sure if Tandy does any domestic hide, I imagine they do, but most everything I got from them I believe was imports. That's actually what I was using before Hermann Oak.

If you want some Hermann Oak without spending a fortune buying direct you can purchase sides from Springfield Leather. http://springfieldleather.com/store/ I've done allot of business with them and they are really good folks, nothing but great things to say about them.

So that might get you going the right direction if you want to pick up a bit more hide, I will say one of the biggest improvements in my holsters came from getting better leather. For me it was a night and day change in the quality of the material and I feel that effected the end product significantly. Now after over a year of using Hermann Oak I wouldn't think about using anything else, it's just great leather.

Take care!

Luke

Holster for Ruger SR9c

N82Tactical.com makes a nice Pro Holster for the SR9c, adjustable depth and cant and tuckable.

Herman Oak is great leather, and Springfield Leather has been a pleasure to deal with. Both of those pointers I owe to this site. You can order the Hermann Oak in 2 sq ft increments too. Here is the link straight to the Herman Oak sides.

Side,HermannOak,BGrade,9-10 oz - Springfield Leather Co. Inc.

If you have not applied a finish to that holster you could still lightly oil it then finish with Resolene. I have a couple that are nearly patent leather shiny doing that. I'm using either Fiebing black or USMC black, seem to be nearly the same. Just buying them from different places.

Good looking stuff.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Omg

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Not what I would call your typical 'homemade' holster...very nicely done.
    You certainly have some 'leather' skills.
    Omg, as far from "nicely done" as possible. It's all very well for forum members to want to be positive, but "nicely done" looks like these:

Bulman Gunleather-Belt Holsters

And carry angle (16 degrees was mentioned) is not a matter of personal preference. Rather, it is the optimal choice that gives (1) comfort (2) safety (3) concealment and (4) presentation (for the draw); and the factors being optimised are ride height and angle, given the barrel length and cut of the holster front (high or low). Add to that mix (does not affect carry angle) what's called "twist" (the degree to which either the grip or rear sight is favoured against the body).

The US Patent Office classifies gun holsters among article carriers suspended from a person, like mail bags and phone pouches. But gun holsters are not bloody phone pouches, they carry lethal weapons, so tread lightly when wanting to craft your own!

Links