What shoulder rig do y'all use?

This is a discussion on What shoulder rig do y'all use? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thinking about a shoulder rig. Currently use a CBST for my 5" 1911 and love it, but have been having back problems the last couple ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What shoulder rig do y'all use?

Thinking about a shoulder rig. Currently use a CBST for my 5" 1911 and love it, but have been having back problems the last couple weeks. Today, I moved the holster from 3:00 to 4:00, and that helped some, but the farther back I wear it, the worse it prints when I bend over. Maybe getting some of the weight off my hips will help my back problems, maybe not.

What do y'all use? Needs to be for a 5" 1911 .45ACP. Vertical or horizontal? Have seen some that carry 2 mags on the off side. I think that would be good to counter balance the pistol somewhat.

Budget-wise, I would entertain about anything. I learned a long time ago you get what you pay for. Obviously, less expensive is better, but if I have to go up to get a reliable rig, I would not rule it out if it is worth the price.

Thanks for your input.

I have 2 shoulder rigs (like them alot) for a 1911 commander and a Glock 23 from Josh Bulman. I use mostly in the winter.
    NRA Member
    Certified Firearms Instructor
    Semper Fi

When I carried a 1911 in a shoulder rig (BUG) I used a Bianchi X-15 and liked it.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Since we are on the subject of shoulder rigs,do any of you wear one over a t-shirt with a casual button up shirt as cover, with no jacket or secondary covering?I have often wondered how this would work.It seems the draw would be a bit more difficult,as opposed to other methods.Not to hi-jack a thread,just curious.

I use a Bucheimer-Clark. The leather straps work much better than the elastic type. The Bianchi X15 is a good holster as well though I replace the elastic strap with a leather strap set up.

Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help. psalm22:11

Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    Since we are on the subject of shoulder rigs,do any of you wear one over a t-shirt with a casual button up shirt as cover, with no jacket or secondary covering?I have often wondered how this would work.It seems the draw would be a bit more difficult,as opposed to other methods.Not to hi-jack a thread,just curious.
    I use to do that quite often. Other than my X15/1911, I wore inverted shoulder rigs. This allowed drawing with either hand. With one button at the proper height left unbuttoned a strong hand draw was enabled and with a slightly oversized shirt a weak hand draw from below was possible.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    Just all the time, works just fine. Haven't done it in a while but I use to remove the 3 center buttons and sew them onto a piece of Velcro and sew the other piece of Velcro where the button was, allows easy opening of the shirt with left hand to allow access. I have experimented and with a GOOD pull regular buttons will give way and allow access but will often tear the shirt. I will also wear a colored T-shirt with the outer shirt unbottoned and untucked

I have a Galco Jackass rig I have used for probably 30 years, I like the wider strap over the shoulder to distribute the weight better.

Wow....quick replies. Thanks. Some good ideas here.

Mr. Stuart.....I don't think you hijacked at all. I too am new to shoulder rigs and need all the help I can get.

Thanks everyone.

Administrator
    The Alessi Bodyguard. I have had one for a few years now & it's a great shoulder rig. Just pull. No retention strap.
    The firearm is securely held in the beautifully molded holster by a pull through snap at the front of the trigger guard.
    And NO - the snap cannot pull the 1911 trigger.
    Lightning Arms Sports - Sponsor at the top of every forum page.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Good answers,thanks for the input on my question.

Shoulder rigs have their place, but remember that they are a specialized solution to a specific set of problems. In particular, you need to practice your draw and reholstering to achieve both without crossing your body parts with your gun's muzzle. Practice in front of a mirror or video record yourself (with an unloaded gun, please!) to ensure that you maintain muzzle awareness and safety at all time. I lost count of the times Sonny Crockett was in danger of shooting himself!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Uncle Mike's horizontal shoulder holster for my H&K USP .40. As a matter of fact, wore it today on my Guayabera shirt hidden under a black leather coat (similar to the coat used in Rocky).

I'm just going to ask this, because it could make a difference, what kind of belt are you using with your Super Tuck?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I have a Galco Miami Classic II for both my 5" 1911 and my G29. Comfortable and not crazy expensive. Great for long driving trips

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    I'm just going to ask this, because it could make a difference, what kind of belt are you using with your Super Tuck?
    I started with a heavy western style belt, the heaviest I could find. That lasted about a week. Now I am wearing/using a gunbelt from Crossbreed. It is very stiff and holds up well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links