First Range Day with a Crossbreed AKA OUCH

This is a discussion on First Range Day with a Crossbreed AKA OUCH within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Let me say first, I love my new Crossbreed. It's one of few IWB holsters I've had over the years that lets me carry a ...

Let me say first, I love my new Crossbreed. It's one of few IWB holsters I've had over the years that lets me carry a 5" 1911 with full comfort and control. Well done guys, attaboy, etc.etc. That said, I'd like to tell you of my first range day with it. Saturday was nice, low 70's, light breeze, and bright sun, iaw, great day to shoot. I spent about an hour going thru my normal drills, slow fire accuracy (7,15,25 yds) and what I call presentation drills, slow draw acquire sight and shoot once. Then I went to my Reaction drill. faster draw quick sight and two COM (center of mass). After three mags of this I did my normal "I'm scared and you're the reason drill." This is a rapid draw, quick sight, and two full eight round mags at rapid fire with a tactical reload done at three standing targets 2 at 15 yds and one at 7 yds. Not bad, had fun, Then I cleared my RIA and holstered up. Stepped off the line and moved to where I could light one and think about,, you know,, stuff. About 30 seconds after I holstered it dawned on me (read that as finally made it into my brain) the leather on my new superwamadyne holster is 1.25 inches shorter that the 1911 I just put into it. Wanna know how I figured this out? Huh? Doya? It's EASY, I just BRANDED my hip with a nice square impression of the last 1.25 inches of my favorite shootin' iron. I know, it's a rookie move but don;tcha know I was steppin' and shuckin' like RIGHT NOW. I did manage to not draw throw my nice little pistol into the nearest body of water but it was close. So. that's my tale and it did 'larn me sumtin' pay attention and don't holster too quick after 16 rnds of 230gr cause it will (eventually) get your attention. Feel free to ROFL 'cause I did and so did the 20 or so people watching when " did it.
    TaTa fer now I'm gonna go put some more aloe on my boo boo as my grandkids say.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    I would pay money to see that on YouTube.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Yeah, it was like dropping a lit cig in your lap in a 2 seater MG I was stylin' in my dance

Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    I would pay money to see that on YouTube.
    lololol

Ouch! Don't they make a full length version for a 5" 1911?
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

ouch.....and I thought it was bad when I grabbed the barrel of my 590 this weekend after my first range session with it.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I wouldn't have thought about that, but good point! Nothing like a pocket full of hot to get your attention! My son managed to eject a hot casing that landed between his shoe and sockless ankle. Dance moves of which I've never seen the likes.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
    Ouch! Don't they make a full length version for a 5" 1911?
    From what I can tell, the Supertuck is the same for all bbl 1911s. Longer barrels just protrude below the bottom of the shell further.

HAAHAHAAHAHAHAAH!! whew.... thanks, that was pretty good.

Edit: Hmmm... you should speak to the good folks at crossbreed about your experience. This actually seems like an opportunity for them to improve this most excellent holster even more.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Yes, I did send them a quick note. I really do like the way it wears and carries my RIA 5", but having another inch of leather on the bottom skirt would be a good thing. That said, it was pretty funny after I got the barrel off my skin and calmed down a bit.

Cue the warning labels, disclaimers, and super fast talking guy....
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

My wife hates autos now. She was shooting one with a tanktop on, (limpwristed it) and you guessed it--scored 2 points right into the cleavage. Handed it back to me, and said she'd stick with her revolver.

I burned the palm of my right hand on the barrel of a 50cal machinegun while on a live fire range in Korea. The range had just went cold and I was climbing out the drivers hatch of our M106 and tripped. Instinctivly reached out and grabbed something to stop my fall over the edge. Guess what I grabbed. Ya blistered up fast, squad leader made me walk back to the aid station (about 300yrds). Took me awhile to live that one down.
    Nothing begins, and nothing ends, That is not paid with moan; For we are born in others pain And perish in our own.

Links