How Much Money Have You Spent?

This is a discussion on How Much Money Have You Spent? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was just wondering if anyone else out there thinks that he or she has an inefficient (though fairly enjoyable) method of obtaining holsters for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Much Money Have You Spent?

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar

How Much Money Have You Spent?

I was just wondering if anyone else out there thinks that he or she has an inefficient (though fairly enjoyable) method of obtaining holsters for his or her carry piece.

I know that for every weapon that I've carried, I 've gone through three or four holsters, determining which types I 've liked best, which features I've liked best, what works with what I want to do and which kinds just won't work with what I want to do, etc.

In last three or four years I have spent probably three or four hundred dollars on holsters that now act as pretty expensive and inefficient paperweights.....

2. Remove Ads

Lucky for me i havent had to much of a problem its not like i can walk into most stores and try one out as im a lefty..

Yes i have a few that suck but i notice if i call one of our custom makers who post here on forum and order from them then i get what i want with no problems and it works

Luckily for me, my best friend (Rhome, another member of our group) is becoming a great holster maker, and uses me to test holsters. It a rough life, but somebody has to do it. He just brought me a beautiful holster for my Taurus 605 today! I will test it tomorrow, and dutifully report that it is great, like all the others...
    My bedroom looks like a holster sales room!

Assistant Administrator
    I do confess to having the ubiquitous holster box/drawer but - in fact very few rigs seem like a real waste as I bought them to evaluate and it turns out much of time I find that necessary.

Quite a few could still be put to use and actually found a Don Hume from way back that suits my step daughter's new Bersa - quite adequately. It'll do her for now.

That said - since being with CC I have been able to hone down options a whole lot - and currently am totally set up with my Eagle Defender from K&D.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I stick with the top guys in the business and never think twice about it and I have never had to switch out holsters or try something different for a carry piece yet.

Buy from the best the first time and they work as they should, it is as simple as that.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

When I started out CC, I tried to go with lesser holsters, and luckily have not spent too much (except on guns I'm not using). It's not working, so I'm going to jump sometime this year for the real deal, after a better evaluation. I'm still trying to avoid "The Drawer" syndrome, but w/o much success.....LOL

VIP Member
    ....I have too many holsters to count....I try to purchase at least one OWB and IWB for each gun....some guns, like my Beretta 92/96's have..ummm..several holsters....
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry
    I stick with the top guys in the business and never think twice about it and I have never had to switch out holsters or try something different for a carry piece yet.

Buy from the best the first time and they work as they should, it is as simple as that.

Ti.
    that would be the thing I would do IF I had to do it all again, but as it is I have a huge holster drawer. Remember too that some newer people don't know what the "best" is, just what they hear. I know some cannot afford the "top" quality holsters right away, but if you ever add up all the holsters in the drawer, you have spent more than enough to have gotten one!
    RKBA

John

I started making my own holsters. I started when I was doing Cowboy Action Shooting and just made my first IWB last month. Double layer of leather with plastic sweat shield between layers. Not fancy but does the job. I'm going to make a couple more of different designs and see what I like the best. Have about $300 worth of tools already so each holster now cost me about $20 - $30 in leather and fittings. It's a fun hobby.

Last edited by gunfighter48; July 11th, 2006 at 03:08 AM.
    gunfighter 48
    A 45 may not expand but it will never be smaller than .45!!!
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    Learned a long time ago that you get what you pay for especially when it comes to gunleather. Rhome who was mentioned earlier shipped a box of several holsters to me yesterday and I am sure that they will meet the test.

Administrator
    Well, of course you can always buy some of the more mass produced holsters but, some like Galco...while initially fitting the firearm quite well tend to get "overly soft" fairly quickly. They collapse after a while which complicates reholstering.
    Rigs made by the top custom makers do not seem to share that same problem.
    I think the quality of the leather that the top custom makers use is better/firmer. Maybe denser would be the more correct term.

Also more obvious effort is put into perfect stitching & the application of the (all important) finish.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    I also have a bunch of holsters I no longer use.

My issue was finding the style, ride height & cant that fit me. Once I found what worked best for me I knew what to look for in a holster.

Your mileage may vary...but you will end up with a bunch you don't use.

I've had good luck with Galco, Mitch Rosen, Ross(South African).

I'm waiting on one from Garrity that I think is going to fit the bill well.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    I have quite a few holsters to choose from. I only have about two that I'd say I regret buying. I like to change up my carry from time to time, depending on season,activity,mode of dress,and just how I feel on any given day. But choose a top quality holster if you are only going to get one or two get the best you can find. It'll pay off in the long run. You'll be happier with a top quality holster than one you think will save you some money. The two our so that I regret buying are of lets say the cheaper type.

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    I never buy a holster from anyone who will not allow me to return it for a refund.

I don't buy many holsters(I have 5), but when I do buy a holster it will multi-task or I will not buy it. I only have one concealment holster that is specifically designed for a certain model and that was a used freebie that the shop tossed in with the 1911 I bought. I guess I'm either cheap or just easy to please.

RH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links