Can any of the holster makers here on the forum make a leater IWB for a gun with a li

This is a discussion on Can any of the holster makers here on the forum make a leater IWB for a gun with a li within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking for someone that can make me an IWB holster similar to a Milt Sparks VMII for a P229 with a TLR-1 or M3 ...

Thread: Can any of the holster makers here on the forum make a leater IWB for a gun with a li

Can any of the holster makers here on the forum make a leater IWB for a gun with a li

I'm looking for someone that can make me an IWB holster similar to a Milt Sparks VMII for a P229 with a TLR-1 or M3 light attached.

We have a lot of great holster makers on this board and I know someone can "git R done".

2. Remove Ads

Maddy, try Ryan Grizzle. Check his website.
    NRA Member
    Certified Firearms Instructor
    Semper Fi

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Quite a few won't touch it. It has to do with the opening being too large and accommodating a "straight and off the trigger" finger, which could possibly manipulate a trigger whilst reholstering. I've "heard" stories of it happening, but never substantiated.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Rocky's made holsters for guns with attachments. I don't know if he can do your combo, but it never hurts to call.
    http://www.purekustomholsters.com/
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Since the lights are much thicker than the pistol's trigger guard, molding a holster to be snug around the trigger guard would result in the same problem as trying to bring your closed fist out of a cookie jar. Consequently, the holster maker wouldn't be able to remove the pistol after molding without ruining the holster. As jarhead indicated, the holster mouth opening needed to draw the pistol with the light in place would result in enough or nearly enough room for the wearer's index finger to access the trigger with the pistol holstered. In addition, that added bulk in an already thick pistol like the P229 would sure tighten up your pants.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Del Fatti View Post
    Since the lights are much thicker than the pistol's trigger guard, molding a holster to be snug around the trigger guard would result in the same problem as trying to bring your closed fist out of a cookie jar. Consequently, the holster maker wouldn't be able to remove the pistol after molding without ruining the holster. As jarhead indicated, the holster mouth opening needed to draw the pistol with the light in place would result in enough or nearly enough room for the wearer's index finger to access the trigger with the pistol holstered. In addition, that added bulk in an already thick pistol like the P229 would sure tighten up your pants.
    Most kydex gun w/taclight holsters are molded to fit snugly on the light not the trigger guard, leather could be done the same way you'd just need a "pattern gun" with a full length light diameter instead of a real gun to mold around.
    The holster mouth is not much larger than a standard holster and it would be very difficult to get a finger in with the gun (look at the openings on Safariland holsters).
    The added bulk IWB isn't a problem in the belt area but it is a problem down at the muzzle light area.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Most kydex gun w/taclight holsters are molded to fit snugly on the light not the trigger guard, leather could be done the same way you'd just need a "pattern gun" with a full length light diameter instead of a real gun to mold around.
    The holster mouth is not much larger than a standard holster and it would be very difficult to get a finger in with the gun (look at the openings on Safariland holsters).
    The added bulk IWB isn't a problem in the belt area but it is a problem down at the muzzle light area.
    I don't have a Safariland holster to look at so I'll take your word for it on the finger clearance. I'm not aware of any casting available configured as you describe. If it was, there would still be the problem with the unsupported leather around the trigger guard having to hold up under belt pressure for IWB carry. Increasing the rigidity of the holster mouth in that area would help but it'd make it thicker still. And the reinforcement would have to extend down to the light. If there is clearance for the light to pass through the holster mouth when the pistol is drawn, then the holster is just at thick at the top (under the waistband) as it would be at the bottom. It would actually be thicker because of the needed reinforcement.

For those who require a holster like this, I think that Kydex would be a better resolution. The holster would still be thick, but not as thick as leather and the structural rigidity required to keep from pinching the light would be much better.

Matt Del Fatti has hit all the right points regarding formed leather holsters with attachments, and I agree with his comments and concerns.

In addition, I'd like to add that there are dozens of different "tactical" attachments (lights, lasers, probably IPOD's and MP3's soon) available from dozens of makers, and more being added every day. Acquiring one of each (or even a "dummy" model), for every handgun capable of accepting them, would require a lot of investment and effort. Staying current would be an ongoing headache.

I am making 8 holster designs, with 4 basic options, in 4 colors, for over 90 different handguns. This results in over 10,000 possible variations, and I still receive requests every week for others. Add in all of the "tactical" accessories and it just gets more complicated.

Life was so much simpler back in the days when there were half-a-dozen handgun manufacturers, each offering half-a-dozen models. Now there are more handgun makers than there are countries on the map, and each one brings out something new every other week. Last time I looked there were 11 companies making 1911-style pistols, plus dozens of custom makers, offering at least 6 barrel/slide lengths, different slide profiles, accessory rails, safeties, slide releases, sights, etc. Add in the aftermarket accessories and there is no end to the variations possible with only one handgun model.

For those who choose to purchase a custom handgun, and those who choose to add accessories to factory handguns, it is highly unlikely that you will find standard production holsters to meet your needs. You will probably need to select a custom maker to do your job, and the job won't get done for a bargain basement price. Expect to pay for all the time discussing, planning, patterning, and producing your holster. If your custom holster maker is not in your home state you can plan on paying for FFL to FFL transfer of your weapon to and from, which can add considerably to the total cost of getting the job done. Don't forget to check on insurance coverage, just in case your weapon gets lost, stolen, or damaged in transit, etc (and don't forget about deductibles, depreciated values, policy limitations, etc).

Best regards.
    Lobo Gun Leather
    serious equipment for serious business, since 1972
    www.lobogunleather.com

I agree with Mr. Del Fatti that you're probably better off looking at Kydex. Raven Concealment Systems' Phantom LC (light compatible) comes to mind. Expect a long wait.
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

Thanks to everyone and the educated opinions of those that make holsters for a living. I'm actually giving it a try myself. I wet formed the leather last night and will let it dry today. I plan on reinforcing the mouth with metal sandwiched between leather (kind of like the Milt Sparks VMII).

I'll keep you guys posed and post pictures of the end result when I am done.

P.S. Thank you again to ABC111 for the materials to attempt this myself!!!

Well, it can be done. The one pictured below was a one-off for a very special client and I am not so sure I want to make another one. Total PITA from the get-go!
    Mouthband wrapped around the rear of the triggerguard with kydex underneath for reinforcement. Not as much retention as I would prefer due to loss of trigger-guard and ejection port molding (though the latter could be corrected if i did not run the mouthband so far forward).
    I have received no complaints from the end-user; but I tried wearing myself for a few hours prior to shipping and I did not find it all that comfortable compared to my In-Cognito IWB that it was derived from. I carry a Sig P220 mounted with a Surefire X300 OWB when I am on-duty, but this little experiment convinced me that I will not be carrying a light-mounted gun IWB off-duty.
    And yes, to mold the holster I had to form a kydex sleeve the width of the light from the back of the light to the top of the holster mouthband to keep it open in that area when molding. Very tough to tell from the pic, but there is quite a gap on both sides from the inside of the leather at the mouthband to triggerguard. A skinny finger couild slide in there. Which leads me to state that for liability reasons I would not want to make this holster for a total stranger. I was very familiar with the training and pistol skills of this particular customer.

"He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

That is one sharp holster!!! So I made some progress last night on mine. It has been wet formed, trimmed and now I have glued both sides and have hand stitched half of it. I worked for a little while testing different methods of reinforcing the mouth of it. I do have some kydex so I am going to give that a try tonight.

By the way, I had an extra set of belt clips from Crossbreed and plan to use them as the attachment. I lile the leather loops but for my very first holster I am trying to make it simple.

Still trying to find the best way to burnish the edges also.

I didn't want to try making the entire holster out of Kydex (like the raven concealment) because I think leather is more comfortable. Plus I have never worked with it before so I am really enjoying learning.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Garrity View Post
    Well, it can be done. The one pictured below was a one-off for a very special client and I am not so sure I want to make another one. Total PITA from the get-go!
    Mouthband wrapped around the rear of the triggerguard with kydex underneath for reinforcement. Not as much retention as I would prefer due to loss of trigger-guard and ejection port molding (though the latter could be corrected if i did not run the mouthband so far forward).
    I have received no complaints from the end-user; but I tried wearing myself for a few hours prior to shipping and I did not find it all that comfortable compared to my In-Cognito IWB that it was derived from. I carry a Sig P220 mounted with a Surefire X300 OWB when I am on-duty, but this little experiment convinced me that I will not be carrying a light-mounted gun IWB off-duty.
    And yes, to mold the holster I had to form a kydex sleeve the width of the light from the back of the light to the top of the holster mouthband to keep it open in that area when molding. Very tough to tell from the pic, but there is quite a gap on both sides from the inside of the leather at the mouthband to triggerguard. A skinny finger couild slide in there. Which leads me to state that for liability reasons I would not want to make this holster for a total stranger. I was very familiar with the training and pistol skills of this particular customer.

Hey, that looks really nice! I can see why you wouldn't want to make that for other customers, though.
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

Links