Fist holster owners - I have a question.

This is a discussion on Fist holster owners - I have a question. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am in the market for a single clip minimal holster. The Fist #1A is almost a definite pick. I just don't know whether I ...

Thread: Fist holster owners - I have a question.

I am in the market for a single clip minimal holster. The Fist #1A is almost a definite pick. I just don't know whether I should get the leather or the kydex version. What are the pros and cons of each? I know this is very subjective but maybe something will come up that I have not thought of yet.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

“Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny”
    Thomas Jefferson

The kydex will stay open better for re-holstering. The leather will (probably) last longer.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SnoMan97 View Post
    I am in the market for a single clip minimal holster. The Fist #1A is almost a definite pick. I just don't know whether I should get the leather or the kydex version. What are the pros and cons of each? I know this is very subjective but maybe something will come up that I have not thought of yet.
    I can't comment on the kydex version of the Fist #1A as I don't own one. However, I can say the Fist #12 in leather that I have for my S&W M19 4" .357 Mag is the best holster I have ever bought. Not saying that there aren't as good holsters out there somewhere, I just don't own any of them. My holster stays open enough to re holster safely.
    SCGunLover1

VIP Member
    I have three FIST holsters -- all leather.

Never had a problem.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I have one of their kydex holsters for my LCP. The K3.
    Rather than costing 44.95 like their website says, it ended up costing me $70 (incl shipping) because I wanted the slide protector, which might have amounted to a whole whopping 2 sq inches of extra material. I ordered by phone and was not informed of the cost increase until I received the holster and invoice.
    The first holster I received did not fit my gun. It left the trigger exposed unless I forced the gun into it, moving the slide back and causing quite a bit of friction on the gun, making it nearly impossible to draw. And the holster didn't resemble the one in the pic at all. It looked to be very crudely made, not having the lines of the gun you typically see in kydex holsters.
    I sent it back and we (I thought) were in discussion of what to do when they simply shipped me another. My LCP does fit into that one better, but to say I am unhappy with the holster would be an understatement. I don't like the looks, fit or retension method, which is apparently done with friction.
    I will chalk it up as a bad experience and would not recommend their kydex holsters to anyone, but I have heard good things about their leather holsters.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Take a look at Grandfather Oak as an alternate to FIST. I found their kydex to be certainly comparable, cheaper, and quicker on delivery. Just sayin--take a look

All my Fist holsters are leather. I've tried Kydex and don't care for it exept for the occasional kife sheath.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I only have one FIST holster. I like it so much that now I have two more on the way. I do not like Kydex for holsters. I have to "hunt" when reholstering with Kydex. I can feel where the gun goes with leather. I don't like Kydex against my skin.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I have almost 40 Fist holsters, and 6 or 7 of them have been the #1A. The #1A have never closed on me...easy draw and re-holstering with one hand.
    Leather will last a long time, but kydex will wear out...my guess is 3 years with daily use. The kydex holsters tend to split where they are stitched after constant use.
    I have found kydex holsters to be more useful as pocket holsters, but will still wear out.
    Leather is much more comfortable and will be around for many years.
    My last kydex pocket holster for a KelTec finally split after 5 years...I replaced it with a leather pocket holster. It was 'slightly thicker, but it works quite well and should last for as long as I'll need it.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Some folks don't like Kydex rubbing on their skin... I'm one of those. I'll always opt for leather. It's quieter too, I like that.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Leather or kydex. IWB......I use both. My only FIST holster is an OWB #10 and I like it mainly for the open bottom and good, tight fit. Single clip IWB and I like my Don Hume which is leather as well with a reinforced top. I have a couple of IWB kydex holsters that are very comfortable for me and where I carry with them. Overall, the leather holsters will be more comfortable for IWB carry. Pros and cons of each are a personal thing. As far as re-holstering and CC, I think I've made my opinions well known that it shouldn't be of concern.

Sponsored Links