Cracking Kydex

This is a discussion on Cracking Kydex within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Like most Crossbreed Supertuck owners, I absolutely love mine made for my Glock 27. I've had it for roughly 15 months and it has developed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Cracking Kydex

Cracking Kydex

Like most Crossbreed Supertuck owners, I absolutely love mine made for my Glock 27. I've had it for roughly 15 months and it has developed a crack in the kydex as shown in the picture. I literally wear it every day and the horsehide is holding up wonderfully.

So my question really is about the kydex. I know Crossbreed has wonderful customer service so I'm not worried about that, but I am worried about longevity in general. I don't have another holster since I got lucky and tried the Supertuck first. I guess in hindsight I should have bought a backup. I'm probably going to get another Supertuck but for my G22 before I send this one in for service.

I'm almost inclined to just drill a hole at the top of the crack to see if it stops spreading and leave it like it is. That's how much I don't want to be without it. Is kydex known for becoming brittle over time?
    Attached Images
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    "I'm almost inclined to just drill a hole at the top of the crack to see if it stops spreading"

That's a standard & time tested way to keep a crack from running. Couldn't hurt.
    Taurahe likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    "I'm almost inclined to just drill a hole at the top of the crack to see if it stops spreading"

That's a standard & time tested way to keep a crack from running. Couldn't hurt.
    Forget that IMO. A kydex holster should last you a lifetime as is.
    ironmike86 likes this.

Have you contacted the manufacturer? They seem to get high marks for their CS. Maybe they'll replace or repair.

Maybe even for free...?
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Don’t mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Not yet EvilMonk, but from what I've read I'm pretty sure they will repair it as they have a lifetime warranty and everyone raves about their CS. The primary purpose of this thread is to question the durability of kydex in the long term and get feedback from anyone else that might have had issues with kydex. I've been thinking about alternatives like layering the kydex with carbon fiber to strengthen it if need be. While not cheap, I would easily shoulder the expense for something virtually indestructible.

Of course, Ram Rod is saying the Kydex shouldn't crack so maybe it was just a defective sheet.
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Forget that IMO. A kydex holster should last you a lifetime as is.
    It depends on the use of the wearer. I personally am on my 3rd shell and second leather backing in the 3+ years I have been using this style of holster, and I make my own with full slide coverage instead of CBs 2/3. My holster gets worn 15 hours a day, 7 days a week and the finish on my weapon shows it. My sweat is what did the leather in (started cracking along the slide imprint)

I work 60 hours a week as a field service technician repairing construction equipment. I am constantly rolling around in the dirt and on decks of equipment, leaning over frames, laying on my side - ergo laying on my holster, etc. etc. I started out with .060" to go as thin as possible and it lasted a year+, so I replaced with the same. The second barely made it a year so I went up to .080" (thought about trying the .125" but it is such a PITA to work with). I can't count the number of belt clips (1" x .125") I've gone through. I keep a spare set in my work truck at all times.

As much as I hate breaking in a new one, I still think it is the best design out there for an IWB holster.

Will the CB last a lifetime for an office dwelling desk jockey? I should hope so. For an active person...nope, I doubt anything would.

Once you take anything away from it's original manufactured shape (in this case flat) you weaken it. Even spring steel (as in automotive suspension) eventually fails and will break.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I'm going to be a sort of odd duck here but I don't think that kydex has that long of a lifespan, like Sticks mentioned about clips. Kydex for certain things is strong but if you repeatedly flex it, it's going to break. In a holster application each time you insert the gun the kydex will flex, you're seeing where it's flexing with this crack. It's the reason clips made of kydex will break over time, just a byproduct of the material. Thicker material will help for a while but it's going to crack at some point, it will be effected by the number of times it's flexed, be it from draw testing or from rolling around working on construction equipment.

Now I'm not saying kydex doesn't have it's uses, it does and there isn't another material out there that will handle the same levels of exposure to moisture and whatnot while still maintaining shape and form. At least in my opinion and experience though like anything in life it's going to wear out over time, kydex has a limited life span in applications that flex and should be replaced either under warranty or out of pocket as it wears out.

Personally I would get a replacement body from Crossbreed, this is just the crack your seeing, depending on other areas that are flexing it's likely just the first one to give way. If you fix this one I would pretty much say others are soon to follow. That though is why they offer a lifetime warranty:)

Take care!

Luke
    I am the owner/proprietor of www.adamsholsters.com Custom holsters made for you. To contact me please use E-mail rather than Private Messages, luke@adamsholsters.com

Quote Originally Posted by luke213 View Post
    I'm going to be a sort of odd duck here but I don't think that kydex has that long of a lifespan, like Sticks mentioned about clips. Kydex for certain things is strong but if you repeatedly flex it, it's going to break. In a holster application each time you insert the gun the kydex will flex, you're seeing where it's flexing with this crack. It's the reason clips made of kydex will break over time, just a byproduct of the material. Thicker material will help for a while but it's going to crack at some point, it will be effected by the number of times it's flexed, be it from draw testing or from rolling around working on construction equipment.

Now I'm not saying kydex doesn't have it's uses, it does and there isn't another material out there that will handle the same levels of exposure to moisture and whatnot while still maintaining shape and form. At least in my opinion and experience though like anything in life it's going to wear out over time, kydex has a limited life span in applications that flex and should be replaced either under warranty or out of pocket as it wears out.

Personally I would get a replacement body from Crossbreed, this is just the crack your seeing, depending on other areas that are flexing it's likely just the first one to give way. If you fix this one I would pretty much say others are soon to follow. That though is why they offer a lifetime warranty:)

Take care!

Luke
    I agree with everything Luke said, here. This is why I use no Kydex thinner than .08", and design my Kydex holsters to minimize unnecessary flex upon drawing or holstering, as a function of their shape, and the placement of rivets. Naturally, I can't completely design out this inherent Kydex drawback, but I can plan my products to forestall its manifestation as long as possible, and then back them with a lifetime warranty. Since clips, by their very definition, will see frequent flexing, I won't make or sell Kydex clips. Most users will never break one of my holsters. Most aggressive users will see similar service life to that which they would see with analogous leather holsters, where applicable.

If one of my Kydex holsters develops a crack, like that shown in the OP's photo, that customer will receive a warranty replacement, in a hurry. I'm sure that Crossbreed will do the same.

ETA> Post #300 - ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

Kydex sheet comes in several thicknesses. Each increase of thickness in Kydex sheet causes a huge difference in price. Prices on Kydex sheet run from around less than $40.00 per sheet for to well over $400.00 per sheet. With increased thickness, you receive added durability and longevity. An added cost of the thicker sheet is it is much harder to mold. The increased material price along with the added difficulty in molding are a few of the reasons why prices of Kydex holsters differ so greatly. A holster made of .028 Kydex or ABS plastic is incredibly easy (in comparison) and inexpensive to make, but it won't stand up to any abuse. More commonly used Kydex thicknesses are .060 and .080. Holsters made of .080 are more durable than their .060 counterparts, and of course cost more to make.

We decided long ago to use .093 for our holsters and .125 for our mounts and clips. The expense and difficulty of molding, in our opinion is well worth the extra we put into our product. The benefit for us is that we receive almost no warranty work back to our shop. We replaced two holsters last year (at no cost to our customers), neither was due to a problem with the Kydex. In fact, one was replaced only because our customer forget to tell us he had a light rail on his pistol. The benefit to our customers, is they don't have to go without their holster while repairs are made.

Here's a brief from the Kydex company on how to repair a small crack. In case your supplier won't fix it or you don't want to wait for repairs.
    http://www.kydex.com/briefs/104.pdf
    cn262 likes this.
    The Second Amendment is clear, concise, and not open to interpretation.

Lead Moderator
    I have replaced a body armor holster twice for the same customer who wears his every day of work (LE patrol) for his BUG gun. Kydex will crack eventually. He seems to get about 2 years out of a holster.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    I seem to get around a year out of my kydex gear - be it light holder (which will see many, many more presentations/draws than anything else), mag holder, or holster. There's not a thing in this world I'm easy on and my carry gear is no different. I don't blame the makers (well, I might have the first year I carried kydex), it's just something I have to live with.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

I won't make any claims that Kydex won't break or crack over time. We all know that it can, but in over four years of making Silent Thunder Holsters, we have never received one for warranty work because of broken or cracked Kydex. Perhaps it's the leather bonded to the Kydex that gives it extra strength? Maybe it's simply a matter of not using 90 degree angles at stress points. We have had to replace a handful of clips over the years, but they usually come with an interesting story as to how they were broken. The versatility of a Kydex clip over its metal or leather counterparts (cant ability and ride height adjustments) make it a worthwhile addition to any holster, and replacement costs are minimal. We do make a few value type holsters that include metal clips, and we will supply belt loops if desired for most of our products, but the ability to adjust them to exactly suit your preference is limited.
    The Second Amendment is clear, concise, and not open to interpretation.

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    I have yet to meet anything in this life I can't break. =) The worst thing I seem to split it about 50/50 between doing something completely boneheaded and doing something totally innocuous. Maybe I'll give your holsters a try next and see if I can't manage to break it too. LOL.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Quote Originally Posted by gimike View Post
    Here's a brief from the Kydex company on how to repair a small crack. In case your supplier won't fix it or you don't want to wait for repairs.
    http://www.kydex.com/briefs/104.pdf
    Unfortunately, they changed that url... Here's the current one...

http://www.kydex.com/Uploads/Files/K...ic%20Sheet.pdf

Yeah, I know it's a 3 year old post, but I figured I would post an updated URL in case anyone needed it in the future.
    www.kydex.com -> Technical Data -> Technical Briefs -> Post Operations -> KYDEX Tech Brief 161: Repairing KYDEX® Thermoplastic Sheet
    When you fill out your income tax forms at the end of the year, look and see how much money you have given the government throughout the year. Then, take a moment to ponder -- has the government done $X worth of stuff FOR you or TO you this year? I tend to believe the latter...

Not to be the naysayer, but any product that you use will eventually wear out, regardless of the material it is made from. Nothing lasts a lifetime. If you use it everyday all day, it is reasonable to assume that at some point you will have to replace a part. I will put my money on you wear it while driving... nothing puts more stress on a holster than sitting while driving IMO. I had a foxx holster crack in a similar fashion...from that exact reason. I just ordered a new holster and went about my business, since I figured that I had gotten my useful ness out of it and I wanted a new one. Contact cross breed and see what they say.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links