Defensive Carry banner

experience with clipdraw holster

10K views 26 replies 20 participants last post by  TBob 
#1 ·
I have a Kahr Pm40 and love the little fire power. I saw the clipdraw holster and I am very interested in getting one of these. I am looking for feed back from people who own the clipdraw. I want to know how you like it. If you are happy with it. If there are any issues with it. Also if you have removed the tape from the gun, has it ruined the finish on the gun or made any marks. Does the clip interfere with the ejection of the shells out of the gun? Thank you for your time.

#3 ·
During the 1970s I carried a Colt 70 Series off duty gun using a Browne & Pharr clip. B&P went out of business and evenually Clipdraw started making the same product. On the Colt it carried very well. The slide was long enough that the gun stayed in place and never tried to ride up. When Clipdraw started business making the model for the J frame S&W revolvers I picked one up. I liked the old so well on the Colt that I figured I'd also like the J frame model. No so. The J frame is so small that the gun tended to ride up and out. Not at all secure. This was the model of the Clipdraw that attached using the 2 side plate screws. It carried the gun too high. Clipdraw now makes a model that uses adhesive tape which would allow a person to place the clip more towards the grip area so the gun would carry lower. That might make a difference.
I haven't tried the Clipdraw on a Kahr. I would recommend checking to make sure the location of the clip is so the gun will ride low enough that it won't work it's way out.

#5 ·
I have a Clipdraw on my Charter Arms revolver. I works fine for limited carry when I don’t want to have a full holster. I have taken it on and off and it did not damage the finish on the gun at all.

#7 ·
I'd go with a minimal IWB holster, something like the High Noon Bare Asset, before I went with the clipdraw.

Part of the reasoning for using a holster is to keep foreign objects away from the trigger.

#8 ·
i got one on a s&w model 60, a s&w model 36 and a glock 27. i have the kel tec belt clip on a p11 and p3at. i love it. works well, never had any problems with them. the gun stays in plcae, easy to draw, and is very hard to see. my pants and underwear acts as a holster. been a clip draw person for many mango seasons. don't bad mouth them untill you try them,, and i mean try them,, more than once. i don't know what type they have for a kahr,, the ones i used all mount to the gun with screws and/or pins. no tape.

#9 ·
A ClipDraw is not a holster... it is the antithesis of a holster and it is precisely for that reason that I wouldn't use one! :wink:

#10 ·
If the trigger isn't covered, you don't have a holster, and thus, you are just asking for problems.IMHO

#12 ·
I've been using mine now for a week on my RIA 3.5". I was skeptical at first but now I am happy with my purchase. No safety disengaging issues, falling out, etc. I've always worn under shirts so the pistol is not resting against my skin. It's winter, little to no sweat, but spring and summer, i will rethink its use.

#13 ·
I use one on my P3AT. No problems at all. I have ran in it and even done some crawling around in the woods with it, no problems with retention or feeling as if the trigger was ever in danger. The P3AT does have the benefit of the extra long trigger pull, so that may be a factor. The only problem I have is with extended wear during higher end activities is the grip of the gun will slide behind my pants (so the whole gun is in my pants with just the clip on the outside), making for trouble if needing a fast draw.
I havent used one on my larger pistols or revolvers and dont think I ever would, but for a small pocket pistol I would say give it a try.

#15 ·
#18 ·
Thanks for that post. Yeahhhh, that P32, pocket holster definitely, even though I have a clip on it. I do what I do because I've been trained to have heightened situational awareness, so when it comes to my firearms, I am always at condition yellow. Not saying it couldn't happen to me, its just whenever I put my hand on my firearm, I treat it like I am adjusting artillery around a village, with care and attention to detail. Lives are always at stake. That's my weird way. If you haven't lived or trained to live with that kind of attention to detail and constant situational awareness, I'd rethink clip carrying without a manual safety on your firearm. By the way, this forum/site is awesome!!

#16 ·
i use a small iwb for the pocket pistol when i feel like carrying in the wasteband...similar to the one in the link...its non-intrusive and keeps the gun where i put it....small guns are easy to holster in a non-reinforced holster because you can lead it in with your fingers...the belt clip is something on the gun that i dont need in my way in a situation....

#17 ·
I've used a Jentra clip for my Glock 27 but only when I also installed the heavier NY trigger

#23 ·
Just a thought, do you think it is good to be fooling around with your finger inside the trigger guard if you aren't pulling the trigger? And do you think you will be able to utilize your fine motor skills to get it out of the way with your fight instinct kicking it? With enough training, it probably is possible.

#24 ·
I've been using the clipdraw on my glock 19 for 2 years now and have never felt in the slightest bit worried that the trigger would be pulled. I'm a smaller guy and even the smallest concealed holster shows up pretty easy on me so this was a great option and i dont think i could carry any other way now. your belt acts as the trigger guard as well as your skin on the other side. i've ran with it, wrestled my dog with it and feel totally confident with it. So it just comes down to personal preference, but ya can't knock it if you haven't tried it.

#27 ·
I used a ClipDraw years ago with a 3" M1911. I never had any operational issues with it. The pistol never rode up on me. The clip did put a small scratch on the pistol's stainless steel finish, so I wouldn't use one on an expensive finish. One reason that I stopped using it was that the clip really only held the pistol uncanted on my belt. I prefer a forward cant, so sought another IWB solution.

Granted that the ClipDraw doesn't cover the trigger, but if you're relying on a system outside of your brain/finger connection for safety, you are fooling yourself. Carelessness will defeat any safety system. I don't want to start a flame war, but I'd rather use a ClipDraw than a Shirpa. I like my Milt Sparks VersaMax 2 best of all, though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.