experience with clipdraw holster

This is a discussion on experience with clipdraw holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Kahr Pm40 and love the little fire power. I saw the clipdraw holster and I am very interested in getting one of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: experience with clipdraw holster

experience with clipdraw holster

I have a Kahr Pm40 and love the little fire power. I saw the clipdraw holster and I am very interested in getting one of these. I am looking for feed back from people who own the clipdraw. I want to know how you like it. If you are happy with it. If there are any issues with it. Also if you have removed the tape from the gun, has it ruined the finish on the gun or made any marks. Does the clip interfere with the ejection of the shells out of the gun? Thank you for your time.

2. Remove Ads

Gashed my finger open on one mounted on a 1911 reaching over to cock the slide. I'd never trust one to secure a gun in my pants.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

During the 1970s I carried a Colt 70 Series off duty gun using a Browne & Pharr clip. B&P went out of business and evenually Clipdraw started making the same product. On the Colt it carried very well. The slide was long enough that the gun stayed in place and never tried to ride up. When Clipdraw started business making the model for the J frame S&W revolvers I picked one up. I liked the old so well on the Colt that I figured I'd also like the J frame model. No so. The J frame is so small that the gun tended to ride up and out. Not at all secure. This was the model of the Clipdraw that attached using the 2 side plate screws. It carried the gun too high. Clipdraw now makes a model that uses adhesive tape which would allow a person to place the clip more towards the grip area so the gun would carry lower. That might make a difference.
    I haven't tried the Clipdraw on a Kahr. I would recommend checking to make sure the location of the clip is so the gun will ride low enough that it won't work it's way out.
    183 FBINA

Don't like em...A gun needs to be in a holster secured with a gun belt.
    NRA Member
    Certified Firearms Instructor
    Semper Fi

I have a Clipdraw on my Charter Arms revolver. I works fine for limited carry when I don’t want to have a full holster. I have taken it on and off and it did not damage the finish on the gun at all.

Administrator
    My experiences with the older Browne & Pharr/ClipDraw was that it was much better with the full length 1911 than with the shorter Commander.

I'd go with a minimal IWB holster, something like the High Noon Bare Asset, before I went with the clipdraw.

Part of the reasoning for using a holster is to keep foreign objects away from the trigger.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

i got one on a s&w model 60, a s&w model 36 and a glock 27. i have the kel tec belt clip on a p11 and p3at. i love it. works well, never had any problems with them. the gun stays in plcae, easy to draw, and is very hard to see. my pants and underwear acts as a holster. been a clip draw person for many mango seasons. don't bad mouth them untill you try them,, and i mean try them,, more than once. i don't know what type they have for a kahr,, the ones i used all mount to the gun with screws and/or pins. no tape.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

VIP Member
    A ClipDraw is not a holster... it is the antithesis of a holster and it is precisely for that reason that I wouldn't use one!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

If the trigger isn't covered, you don't have a holster, and thus, you are just asking for problems.IMHO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It's the upgrade for the "Mexican Carry" guys.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I've been using mine now for a week on my RIA 3.5". I was skeptical at first but now I am happy with my purchase. No safety disengaging issues, falling out, etc. I've always worn under shirts so the pistol is not resting against my skin. It's winter, little to no sweat, but spring and summer, i will rethink its use.

I use one on my P3AT. No problems at all. I have ran in it and even done some crawling around in the woods with it, no problems with retention or feeling as if the trigger was ever in danger. The P3AT does have the benefit of the extra long trigger pull, so that may be a factor. The only problem I have is with extended wear during higher end activities is the grip of the gun will slide behind my pants (so the whole gun is in my pants with just the clip on the outside), making for trouble if needing a fast draw.
    I havent used one on my larger pistols or revolvers and dont think I ever would, but for a small pocket pistol I would say give it a try.
    Please take my posts with a grain of salt. I am frequently sleep deprived and always just on this side of "Krazy".

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. Edmund Burke

VIP Member
    In addtion to protecting the trigger, a holster is also a good idea to keep pocket lint and debris out of the nooks and crannies. If a clip is mandatory, I've used small IWB's as pocket holsters and they work great.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Gashed my finger open on one mounted on a 1911 reaching over to cock the slide. I'd never trust one to secure a gun in my pants.
    OUCH! I can see that happening.

Bad idea IMO...here's an example of an ND with clipdraw holster: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread....ghlight=church ...it was a KelTec P32

If the trigger isn't covered, you're inviting embarrassment (or worse) with a ND..
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links