Blackhawk serpa holster?

Blackhawk serpa holster?

This is a discussion on Blackhawk serpa holster? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone here have one of these holsters? If so how do you like it? I'm considering one for and M&P compact....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blackhawk serpa holster?

Blackhawk serpa holster?

Does anyone here have one of these holsters? If so how do you like it? I'm considering one for and M&P compact.
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

Love mine. Don't really use it for CC. Mostly outdoor range, etc.
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

They are great holsters, but not good at all for CC due to their bulk. If you OC or want something for the range or for wearing hunting, etc, I'd recommend one. I have the belt/paddle version for my M&P compact, and I used the thigh platform version for my M9 last time I was deployed.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

I've got one for my M&P Compact, I actually think it's for the full size but it works, it came with the gun when I bought it used. It's a comfortable holster I only use it around the house or if I have a pair of pants I can't get my IWB holster in. You have to practice with it to be able to reliably release the gun and not end up with your finger in the trigger guard.

Somebody makes a holster called "Thumb Drive" that is a similar concept only the release is operated by the thumb between the gun and the body.
    We the willing, being guided by the unknowing, Doing impossible feats, for the ungrateful, Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
    We now feel qualified to do, absolutely anything, with literally nothing

Quote Originally Posted by jamierah View Post
    I've got one for my M&P Compact, I actually think it's for the full size but it works, it came with the gun when I bought it used. It's a comfortable holster I only use it around the house or if I have a pair of pants I can't get my IWB holster in. You have to practice with it to be able to reliably release the gun and not end up with your finger in the trigger guard.

Somebody makes a holster called "Thumb Drive" that is a similar concept only the release is operated by the thumb between the gun and the body.
    The one I use for my compact was origionally for the full size, but five minutes with my saw and dremel, and you can't tell it wasn't made for the compact. You just have to be careful not to hit the little machanism inside the holster. If you cut just below it, it's the perfect size.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.

I use mine if I'm going to OC...

With the right belt (i.e. gun belt), it's a very stable, secure platform to draw/holster. With that said, because it is different from other holster's locking mechanism, you need to spend some time drawing (i.e. disengaging the push-button). I was unsure of it until I used it myself. Now I have a holster for my P229 (which my non-railed P226 also fits)...and have a couple for my deployment (drop-leg, belt, MOLLE-mount). I used the last two extensively...and when I needed to keep my M9 secured, holster worked as advertised....same when I had to draw.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jamierah View Post
    This is the type of mechanism the Safariland ALS holsters use. I'm very partial to it, especially for a 1911 or similar handgun with a thumb safety. After releasing the thumb latch, your thumb falls naturally onto the safety, making disengagement that much quicker.

My only gripe with Serpa holsters is that all too many people don't pay enough attention to their drawstroke, and after releasing the latch, their index finger snaps straight onto the trigger. Very dangerous, especially on SAO firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    This is the type of mechanism the Safariland ALS holsters use. I'm very partial to it, especially for a 1911 or similar handgun with a thumb safety. After releasing the thumb latch, your thumb falls naturally onto the safety, making disengagement that much quicker.

My only gripe with Serpa holsters is that all too many people don't pay enough attention to their drawstroke, and after releasing the latch, their index finger snaps straight onto the trigger. Very dangerous, especially on SAO firearms.
    They can do the same thing with a regular holster....IMO, poor trigger finger discipline. Like any piece of equipment, it requires training.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    They can do the same thing with a regular holster....IMO, poor trigger finger discipline. Like any piece of equipment, it requires training.
    True, but the Serpa can be said to promote this in unwary users by requiring you to press in toward the gun with the trigger finger during the draw.

If you're aware of the possibility, you can account for it. That's why I posted it...

I've got one that I carry a Glock 23 in and like it. You really have to watch what you wear due to it's bulk if you a CC.

They have been having some problems with the release not working properly but mine has been 100%.

Don't use it with a good leather belt. It will scratch it up. This is where a Wilderness 5 stitch comes in.
    NRA Member
    Certified Firearms Instructor
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Coder View Post
    Love mine. Don't really use it for CC. Mostly outdoor range, etc.
    Same for me w/ my XD9.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    True, but the Serpa can be said to promote this in unwary users by requiring you to press in toward the gun with the trigger finger during the draw.

If you're aware of the possibility, you can account for it. That's why I posted it...
    I've used them a bunch and the only way it will happen is if your trying to get on the trigger too fast. Pretty much the same with any holster. They don't take much pressure to release and your finger will be on the frame unless you purposely move it downward onto the trigger.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Got one for my G19, great holster for OC, the range, etc. I've heard of some issues with retention release after rolling in the dirt (rocks or pebbles or some such blocking the release mechanism) and the finger release for the draw DOES take some getting used to to ensure you don't keep the pressure on too long and drop your finger into the trigger prematurely. With a fast draw and a poorly positioned finger it is certainly possible... A little practice to ensure proper finger placement and it is second nature.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Comfortable great for OC, great for CC under a winter coat in the north and great for around the house wear. There was a design issue with early models that sand and dirt could jam them up, Blackhawk took that feedback, reworked the design and I haven't heard of a single issue with one that's been made in the last two years. I got one that came with both paddle and belt loop attachments, lately I prefer the closer feel of the paddle and it sits solid and secure. I added a little bit of felt to help keep down on the rattle of the gun on the holster and it's also keeping holster wear on the gun down. The one I got for the Glock 27 will just as easily carry a G23 and G22 with the end sticking out of the bottom slightly. I always found that it produced a natural safe draw with my finger always being forced against the frame of the Glock, maybe it's just my combination though.

Glock Certified Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by ABC111 View Post
    I've got one that I carry a Glock 23 in and like it. You really have to watch what you wear due to it's bulk if you a CC.

They have been having some problems with the release not working properly but mine has been 100%.
    Don't use it with a good leather belt. It will scratch it up. This is where a Wilderness 5 stitch comes in.
    I've read about this, and even seen video of people trying to replicate it. I've found that most people do not realise, that the holster's tension can be adjusted. This is separate from the push buttun controlling the hook. Most of the cases I've seen, were cause by having too much tension in the holster, negating the button release. Not saying that is the only possible reason for problems, but it is one that is easily fixed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links