1911 Appendix carry

This is a discussion on 1911 Appendix carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone carry theie 1911 in the appendex position? If so, what holster would you recommend?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Appendix carry

1911 Appendix carry

Does anyone carry theie 1911 in the appendex position? If so, what holster would you recommend?

2. Remove Ads

Dale Fricke - Archangel
    Kimber Tactical Ultra II, Kahr PM45, Kahr PM9, Kahr P380

+1 on the Dale Fricke Archangel. Been using his stuff for about a year and a half. I had a Ehub and a Joab, but the Archangel is a superior product IMO. I use one for my Springfield Government and one for a Glock 17. They both can handle the smaller models, but I like carrying the full size. Retension is great with two different points to adjust, and the gun clicks into the holster with a positive click. Easy on and off with the widely spaced Pull-the-Dot straps.

Archangel with Springfield

Archangel with Glock 17

Here is what it looks like with some friends

Nice and smooth on the back side for comfort

GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

The last shooter in the video (Zubiana) seems to do quite well with that combination.

http://www.pact.com/index.php?option...d=36&Itemid=53
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

We have many from 25.00 to 184.00.

http://highnoonholsters.com/Product_...waistband.html

Alex
    High Noon Holsters
    www.HighNoonHolsters.com

I use a High Noon "Hidden Ally" on occasion, and like it for what it is.

My favorite, if you don't mind kydex, is the Appendix Carry Rig at http://alabamaholster.com/index.php?p=2_27

If you prefer leather and have some money, http://shop.alessigunholsters.com/Belt-Holster/APX

I have been building this AIWB for a limited amount of guns, but the 1911 3" is on the list. It has a steel reinforced mouth. IMG_5256.jpg

galco summer comfort A+

Quote Originally Posted by 1aaron11 View Post
    galco summer comfort A+
    How do you wear a holster that has a 15 degree forward cant in the appendix carry position?
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    The last shooter in the video (Zubiana) seems to do quite well with that combination.

http://www.pact.com/index.php?option...d=36&Itemid=53
    Jim Zubiena was good, very good, he was the Southwest Pistol League champion in 1984 (Calderone's Return aired in 1984) and 1988.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by tmoore912 View Post
    How do you wear a holster that has a 15 degree forward cant in the appendix carry position?

Sorry it is a modified holster

Here is a one that I have seen and might try. It is a leather AIWB holster and has gotten some good reviews. Leather would be nice, but it's biggest drawback is bulk compared to a Kydex holster. The slimmer the better in the appendix position. It is the Texas Comfort AIWB from Kolbeson Leatherworks.

http://shopleatherworks.com/Texas-Co...-TXCOMFORT.htm

One of the key issues with me for appendix carry is being able to get a full combat grip when presenting the firearm from the holster. I don't want to be grabbing belt too........ when reaching for my gun. So, ride height is important to me. Too high, and the gun will want to tip out over the belt which is really uncomfortable. Another key ingredient in all of this is a purpose built gun belt.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA

tmoore, thanks for pointing this one out to me! I've been looking to try a new one for my 1911, and this may well be the one.

You're advice is right on, and I thought I'd spring off it to say a couple more things about Alabama's holster. They got the height right on. I've owned holsters that were all over the place, and there's is just perfect. Retention too, the gun practically jumps into your hand, but won't come out when you flip your pants upside down in the stall. But that kydex! Awesome for thin, but always hard. I put moleskin on the inside of mine in the summer, and its alright except for the most active days. Its hard to beat broke-in leather for comfort. One other thing that Alabama got right, at least on my M&P model, that kinda goes along with ride-height, is the way the loops grab the belt. They're a bit to tight for my 1.5 belts, but the way it pulls the gun in, a gun belt is hardly needed. Sounds wrong I know, but this ones' more comfortable with a regular belt for me. The trigger gaurd area contacts my hip bone in such a way that the gun does not sag, and it just all becomes part of my body. I've never had a leather holster that would do that, and its pretty nice; but still kydex.

I like the front loop position on that tex holster, I find that position to be more concealable, as the front loop on nearly all double-loop appendix holsters is often the most obtrusive part of the rig.

Also, the High Noon "Hidden Ally" that I mentioned earlier, its a belt-rider. There is no combat grip. Their more expensive "Split Decision" type line has a great grip, but are way too thick. I bought one long ago for a P239 and was quite impressed with everything but the thickness (for the money), but I couldn't use it. I don't mind the lack of a combat grip in certain situations. I use a Hidden Ally for my PM9 at times, and by letting the pants slip through my fingers its still a mighty fast draw. But certainly not my preference for a primary!

Quote Originally Posted by tmoore912 View Post
    http://shopleatherworks.com/Texas-Co...-TXCOMFORT.htm

One of the key issues with me for appendix carry is being able to get a full combat grip when presenting the firearm from the holster. I don't want to be grabbing belt too........ when reaching for my gun. So, ride height is important to me. Too high, and the gun will want to tip out over the belt which is really uncomfortable. Another key ingredient in all of this is a purpose built gun belt.

High Noon Public Secret. Straight drop quality leather.

http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Prod...et_straps.html
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    My buddy carries dadgum two 5 inch 1911s with compensators in Tagua slide type holsters at 11:00 and 1:00
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links