Hot off the bench

Hot off the bench

This is a discussion on Hot off the bench within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was asked by the gun store who stocks my holsters to come up with a "Hybrid" holster that can be worn IWB or OWB. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hot off the bench

Hot off the bench

I was asked by the gun store who stocks my holsters to come up with a "Hybrid" holster that can be worn IWB or OWB. Seems they wanted a holster that can also double as a "Range" holster with the same cant as my OWB holsters and that can also be worn as a very concealable IWB holster with the same cant. So in my own weird kind of thinking I came up with the "Convertible Hybrid"holster. You can wear it as an IWB holster or an OWB holster without the cant of the gun changing, simply by removing the kydex clips or attaching them back on the holster. It has a Suede backing and is as comfortable as wearing your own undies. The Suede backing keeps the holster in place with no shifting at all while keeping it comfortable when wearing it as an IWB. There is no break-in period as it is comfortable to wear the minute you put it on. This is a premium made holster which takes a lot more work than simply attaching a piece of kydex to a piece of leather. I can't tell you how we construct it but I can tell you it takes just as long as when we make our other holsters. This holster has been tested extensively, but we have yet to set a price on it. We are looking for input from the members of this fine forum as to what you think and suggestions are always taken into consideration.

We also wish each and everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year !
    Best regards, DGL

Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. ~ Robin Williams ~
    www.desbiensgunleather.com

Wow it look slike a more refined version of the Minotaur MTAC. Ilike it a lot. You keep making reasons fror me to buy one of your rigs...i just need a new gun to go in one of them first...LOL Great work. The cant look sa little far forward? I prefer a straight cant but maybe it is just the picture, and how I am looking at it.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Beautiful functional holster, but sure looks like a patent infringement on Pure Kustom's combo holster design from the last two years.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Very nice indeed, looks a lot like the Mtac, but with option of wearing OWB. I like it and will look into buying one,konce they are available.

As usual...another fantastic holster from Rhome. I am glad to see you will be offering this style of holster. Nice design.
    There are some significant differences from holsters mentioned above (i.e. hybrid, suede backing, belt slot angles, etc.).
    Looks like an improved version of the out of production Bluegrass Holsters Mason Dixon.
    Looking forward to trying one out!
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
    -- Sigmund Freud

I looks great to me the way it is. I am a huge fan of hybrid holsters. What is the price point of this holster?

Very nice!
    The backing is a nice addition on the ones for heavier guns; I made a similar rig for my Glock 19 and backed it with some soft elk hide. It really does help the comfort level.

Do you also make the clips you used? I am currently using some Crossbreed metal clips but like the look of those

thats one gorgeous looking holster.
    .45ACP 1911 Colt Commander XSE

Those are same clips from CompTac. I have a few DGL holsters...

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
    -- Sigmund Freud

Very nice Rhome, are you doing the kydex yourself?

Distinguished Member
    Will the owner be able to switch out kydex shells for other guns?

OD*
    Very nice, Rhome.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

The problem with a higher quality version of that type of holster is the fact that it takes just as much time as a traditional stitched leather rig, but you are competing with all the others that don't require as much work to produce. You will always be compared to others in a different league, making the buyer ask the compelling question - "yes it well made, but what does yours do that theirs will not do for less?"

I believe if you charge over $90.00 for a hybrid holster you will eliminate a huge majority of the buyers interested in that type of holster. Remember, those hybrid holsters were brought to market to provide a lower priced alternative to a leather IWB but provide all the comforts of leather. If you cannot price it with the others, I fear you will only sell it to your current customers that appreciate the extra quality.

It is a nice looking holster though.

Also, I question the exposed screw heads on the back side of a holster to be worn against the skin.

Thanks everyone for your replies. To answer some of your questions regarding the holster. I honestly don't have the time to make the shells and clips anymore. So I did some research to find the best quality product to use in our holsters. Comp-Tac fit the bill. Granted there are other makers of Kydex holsters and shells and we wish not to take anything away from them but for our purpose and needs Comp-Tac seems to have the quality we were looking for. The shells are inter-changeable as long as you stay with the same type of firearm.....Glock, 1911, XD etc.... Since then we have become Comp-Tac dealers.

As for the price, well lets just say I won't debate it with anyone. To quote from writer R.K. Campbell in the "New Gun Week" article Nov.2010 he states " Buy cheap, buy twice !" So with that being said we have determined to set the price range somewhere between the $80's and $90's range, but that is not definite as of yet. We should have the price set by the first of the year. As for the screws, well I guess it is a personal thing. I myself like to have the heads of the screws in the back of the holster but if you know of a technical reason why they shouldn't please educate me. It seems as I get older I have more "brain farts" so to speak. Anyone could simply reverse the screws if one was inclined to do so.

The holster will be available in a few different options as horsehide and with or without the Suede backing, with different pricing to reflect the options of course. I hope I've answered your questions and not offended anyone. Have a great and Merry Christmas with Joy and happiness and Santa brings you what you asked for !

Best regards,
    Rhome
    DGL
    Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. ~ Robin Williams ~
    www.desbiensgunleather.com

Rhome;
    i have been trying to access your web site for two days and it says ..server is taking to long (or something similar to that phrase)
    thanks,bill
    SWENSON BOBCAT .45, SWENSON COMBAT COMMANDER .45 (built for me by Armand), TUSSEY JR KIMBER RCP .45, S&W 37(PERUVIAN PIP)
    US ARMY 1959-1965
    USAR 1975
    NRA LIFE ENDOWMENT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links