Shoulder Rigs

This is a discussion on Shoulder Rigs within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any of ya'll use shoulder rigs day to day? I've never used one but I,ve been thinking about it. What are up and down side ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shoulder Rigs

Shoulder Rigs

Any of ya'll use shoulder rigs day to day?

I've never used one but I,ve been thinking about it. What are up and down side to them. I wear shirt and tie most days and I've tried some of those "tuckable" IWB holsters and carrying IWB just ins'nt confortable to me. I figured I couuld wear a shoulder rig under my shirt and they appear to be less restrictive with regard to movment, sitting, driving ect. but I dont have mutch experiance with them and advise would be appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    I still very occasionally use my Bianchi X-15 but overall am of the impression that a good quality custom waist rig will still be better - if concealment options suit. Well for me anyways.

Draw is IMO a shade faster too.

That said, if you have a quality sho rig well adjusted to your fit and the gun is not excessively heavy - it can still be a good option for some.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Look at the Ross M43. The design looks awesome. It's comes w/ or w/o mag holder and is available in vertical and horizontal.

ccwsupply.biz

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Here's a link to my lastest shoulder rig.

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=11531

Sam Andrews makes a nice single outfit for the smaller and lighter pistols that are nice. His single full outfit is very nice, and he will configure the mag pouches however you like. For a full size 1911 probaly 3 mags will balance out pretty good. Lou Alessi , makes one of the finest rigs you'll find. Matt Del Fatti makes a really beautiful piece.

A shoulder rig can be one of the most comfortable carry systems going. A lot depends on adjustment of the holster, and design of the holster. Like any other holster type there are poor designs out there. For a full sized large, to medium frame pistol you want wide straps at the top of your shoulders for support.

Some makers supply tiedowns that attach to the bottom of the holster and the bottom of the mag pouch. this is to keep the outfit from swaying,and shifting around very much. On a single rig, I set things up pretty high and fairly snug. I don't use the tie downs. With the double rig, Sam puts that back strap on it and they don't sway, and hardly ever need shifting to keep them in place. No more than a OWB or IWB need resetteling, such as getting out of the vehicle you might need to set things back where you are most comfortable. With a little practice you can get into action pretty darn quick.

And driving it's a very nice rig to have. Now that said do I carry with a shoulder holster always? No, depends on how I want to dress and where I plan on going, and what I want to carry. But, it's a very nice option to have. Hope this helps some.

added some para's to make more readable Chris

Lead Moderator
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

That ross one looks kind of cool I'm still thinking on a should rig

Shirts are too expensive. I'd have to buy 7 or 8 shirts to be able to change them every day due to sweat, and that's ridiculous when I can just get a decent holster or a Coronado vest for winter. I have to do laundry at a laundromat, so I can't afford to wash stuff more than once a week, so I'd have to buy several. No way at $70 a pop.

Animal Kracker,

Thats a great looking rig! It looks fairly confortable. I've always been a cheapskate when it came to gunleather but after settling for second rate stuff so long my mind has changed and I'm looking for somthing better quality.

Send me some info on how to contact Sam. As I said I've always been a cheapskate so I've never heard of him.
    Thanks

Administrator

I carry a full size & full weight handgun in a shoulder rig often.

In summer I carry right up under the pit with my rig under an oversize double weight 100% Cotton dark colored T~Shirt.
    I would rate my draw to presentation speed with anyone that carries OWB or IWB. Like anything else it takes practice.

I carry in an Alessi Pull Through holster...no retention strap to unsnap. My harness system is one that I made for myself & my extra mag holders are "standard double" by a known maker.

For fall & winter shoulder carry....I have been carrying in a shoulder rig for so long that all of my clothing, jackets, coats (by now) have all been purchased by me with "shoulder carry" in mind.

Draw is Extremely Fast with practice.

The Alessi style holster really is a boon to super fast draw from a shoulder rig.

Reholstering is slightly more difficult with the Alessi but, who cares?
    In any real life scenario I'll be worried about more than reholstering after I survive a deadly confrontation.

My system works for me & it fits my particular lifestyle.
    Whatever works for anybody else is OK by me.
    I only tell people how I carry. I don't usually tell them how they should carry. None of my business really.

BTW: If you wear under a dress shirt though you'll need to rip your shirt buttons if you need to draw quickly.

Horizontal rig or vertical rig Qk

Administrator
    Horizontal.

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gunjunky
    Animal Kracker,

Thats a great looking rig! It looks fairly confortable. I've always been a cheapskate when it came to gunleather but after settling for second rate stuff so long my mind has changed and I'm looking for somthing better quality.

Send me some info on how to contact Sam. As I said I've always been a cheapskate so I've never heard of him.
    Thanks
    Give Sam a call he'll be glad to talk to you in order to find out your needs and can give you a lot of information as to what might work best for you. And besides that he's a great guy to talk to. You'll find if you go with one of the custom makers, you'll be a lot happier with your choice in holsters. If you tell them all the details,as what you expect it to do, and how and when you plan on wearing it, they'll steer you right. I don't know of a one that would sell you something that they didn't think would work for you. Shoulder holsters are a good option for me, I like them. Summer time sometimes, when cooler weather comes around it perfect, In the winter I hardly ever zip up, so it works then also.I just layer with a light cover, over the holster. Sitting in a car a shoulder holster works very well. And as I said before you can get it "muy pronto" http://www.andrewsleather.com/

Thanks Guys,

All the imput was helpful! I think I am going to give Sam a call in the morning!

Andrews leatherworks

I cant think of a reason to need a rig like this but it's sure cool lookin!

http://www.andrewsleather.com/firepower.htm

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I have two of the Galco Miami Classics . ( well one actualy the other one is an original jackass rig) and find them usefull for short term assuming a " duty gun " with a standard gvt model about 3 to 4 hrs is my max wearing one , with a sig 220 i can go 6 to 8 but they all bother me longterm . I can now fit my kahr , but have not tried it for that weight reduction .. i still rember the stiff sholders/neck that they give me so i am not eager to do it untill needed .

They do conceal fine but imho comfort lacks, may well be my bad back tho so all i can say is dont go cheap but get the best you can afford and try it . Suspension systems are truely imho a place where you get what you pay for .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links