New to CCW, first holster $ question

This is a discussion on New to CCW, first holster $ question within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would definitely not recommend a holster that clips on. There is far too much risk of the holster coming out along with the gun ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New to CCW, first holster $ question

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I would definitely not recommend a holster that clips on. There is far too much risk of the holster coming out along with the gun when you draw. Also I have not seen any mass produced holster that stands up to years of wear and hard use. They tend to quickly fall apart.
    While a high quality holster might run higher in price it will make up for it in durability and service. I'd recommend holsters made by Del Fatti, Milt Sparks, Brommeland, HBE and Desbiens. I own holsters by all these makers, some of which are decades old, but still wear and function like new.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    One of the problems with the "pay-higher-once-and-it-will-last-forever" theory is some folks, like me, tend to like changes once in a while, I'm not sure I want the same holster 1-2 years from now, and the thought of tossing a $100+ holster in the box, not to be used again, just goes against my grain.

There are many inexpensive holsters out there, adjustable for cant and ride, that will work just fine. Then If I decide I want the Lamborgini of leather holsters at a later date, I may spring for it. But until I know exactly what I want, I'm going to use what works, regardless of price. And if it happens to wear out (and anything can) I'll get another.

As far as the clips not holding, I don't buy it as long as the holster has good clips. Between the spring steel clip plus the pressures of the belt and waistline against my body, not only is my el cheapo holster secure, it's amost a pain to remove! But I only remove when I take it off, so it's no big deal. But it's definitely not going to come flying out.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

There's a reason some of the holstermakers have a long wait time...they're good. These also happen to be the more expensive ones. If they weren't worth the money, folks wouldn't be willing to pay and wait.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I was lucky. I found this board BEFORE I started CCing seriously so I did a lot of research. I have avoided the box o holsters. Any gun I carry I carry in a cross breed super tuck. That does not mean that I haven't tried other though. If your interested in a quality hand made holster without the high price and long wait time check out either Carl Collins holsters or UBG holsters. I've never owned a UBG but I have heard good things. I have owned several Carl Collins holsters(And I am wearing one of his belts right now) and he makes high quality product at a fair price with a good turn around time. And he's a nice guy and that count's for a lot in my book.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    There's a reason some of the holstermakers have a long wait time...they're good. These also happen to be the more expensive ones. If they weren't worth the money, folks wouldn't be willing to pay and wait.
    True, but there are a few holster makers that don't fit that profile as yet. There are a few making top quality holsters at less than top quality prices. When you find one, you get great value and great turn around time!
    The Second Amendment is clear, concise, and not open to interpretation.

When buying your first holster you probably don'y know what you want and it will most likely not be your last holster regardless of how much money you spend. High Noon has cheaper options than the one you listed. Look at Hidden Ally and Split Decision at $37. I have the split decision and I am happy with it. I don's see too much difference between that and the one you listed, but I didn't look at the whole description. It looks like it is reinforced though.
    As far as spending a lot of money on a belt, I think that will depend on what you carry. I you carry a full size gun in large caliber it's worth spending money on a good belt. However, if you have a subcompact .380 or 9mm you don't need a a $100 belt. I am not sure what a SR9C weight, but Idon't think it's the heaviest of pistols. Use one of your existing belts to start out with and see if it's comfortable enough to wear.

I also have the box o holster! 95% of the time I have my Cross Breed Supper Tuck on

I've always thought that the gun is the most inexpensive part of buying a gun.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

So after more research and assistance from your recommendations I ordered a Split Decision from High Noon and a $28 Amish Belt I read about in another thread (http://www.hanksclothing.com/amish_belts_black_buy.html). It's an inexpensive way to see what I might like before spending a lot of money. I'll wear them around the house and look for an inexpensive OWB holster as well. When I get my permit in a few months I should know what I really want and will buy it then. Thanks for your help.
    Ruger SR9, SR9c, Mark III, SP101 .357, New Vaquero .357, Fusion 1911 Elite .45acp

Next time invest in a two layered gun belt. It will support much more weight than the single ply versions, even the thick Amish style.
    Buy once, cry once. Quality is more expensive.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Next time invest in a two layered gun belt. It will support much more weight than the single ply versions, even the thick Amish style.
    Buy once, cry once. Quality is more expensive.
    Understood. I was going to order a Rock Steady from High Noon with the Split Decision but thought I'd wait until I'm sure what holsters I want for actual carry use. I think the Amish should be fine for testing, and since I can only wear around the house for now anyway I expect it to work okay. When i get a real one I can put the Amish to use as a non-carry belt. Thanks again!
    Ruger SR9, SR9c, Mark III, SP101 .357, New Vaquero .357, Fusion 1911 Elite .45acp

Out of all the holsters I have, after some 10 years+ carrying, I can honestly say that not a one of them has cost me over $85. I've had the $100+ holsters before, and they are no longer with me. For whatever it's worth. My drawer is full of holsters that I wear from time to time. I'm thinking that you won't find a good holster for $15, but you can find one that will work for twice that, and you'll continue to grow. I like cheap, and working with what I've got. If that somehow singles me out as a cheapskate, then so be it. I've been working with mine for a long time.

Try Don Hume Holsters. I have an IWB from Don Hume, cost about $35.00, and it gets lots of use. I have very good hlsters but I don't have a lot of holsters - two shoulder holsters (one vertical, one horizontal) an OWB paddle holster from Galco that is exceptional, and two IWB holsters - one from El Paso Saddlery and one from Don Hume. If you wish to be very economical for a very good product, try Don Hume.

I have one of my The Slide OWB RH in Bk 15 deg 1.5" in stock if you want it. Check it out here http://www.sideguardholsters.com/holsters/TheSlide.htm

Cost is $65 with $6 shipping.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I didn't read all the posts but I know there is A LOT of great advice here. I just wanted to add my $.02.

I have avoided the box of bolsters thus far because my brother in law gave me an el cheap Uncle Mikes IWB holster. I used that holster in different positions around my waist and figured AIWB was the best carry position for me. I spent about $75 on a shaggy from custom carry concepts and I also have a serpa for OWB.

Don't skimp on the holster mate. Find what you like and purchase it. Save up if you have to.

Welcome to DC
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    ----
    If not me, then who?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links