New to CCW, first holster $ question

This is a discussion on New to CCW, first holster $ question within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been carrying for about 6 months and have 2 holsters so far for my S&W M&P 9c. Started with a Comp Tac MTAC (IWB), ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New to CCW, first holster $ question

I've been carrying for about 6 months and have 2 holsters so far for my S&W M&P 9c. Started with a Comp Tac MTAC (IWB), which I am very happy with. Later got a Comp Tac paddle holster (OWB) because I wanted something I could put on quickly and also wanted an OWB for winter carry. Happy with the pancake too, but it sticks out from the waist way more than the IWB.

Thinking of getting a Glock (either 19, 26, or 23) and will try out something else for that one. Maybe Don Hume, Fobus, Galco, Milt Sparks, High Noon, Crossbreed.... choices! :-)

2. Remove Ads

Speaking in generalities, inside the waist band IWB tends to be concealable and outside the waistband tends to be more comfortable. Also you will hear alot about how some holster are sooo comfy that people forget they are carrying. I carry a Glock 19 everyday and my holsters are really comfy BUT I always am aware that I am packing. So just don't set your expectations too high.

I would recommend a holster that is versatile in turns of positions. For example I have a Crossbreed Supertuck that you can adjust ride height and cant. I also have a Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro that you could adjust ride height, cant, and wear it owb or iwb.

I would probably spend around $60-$100. There are many options in this price range.

Quote Originally Posted by fmcgraw View Post
    So after more research and assistance from your recommendations I ordered a Split Decision from High Noon and a $28 Amish Belt I read about in another thread (http://www.hanksclothing.com/amish_belts_black_buy.html). It's an inexpensive way to see what I might like before spending a lot of money. I'll wear them around the house and look for an inexpensive OWB holster as well. When I get my permit in a few months I should know what I really want and will buy it then. Thanks for your help.
    The High Noon Split Decision is a good starting out IWB. I carry my Snub nose in one almost exclusively. I am now using one for my Glock 27 but find it is not quite as comfortable. For the $35 dollars the Split Decision is a great deal. Personally I need the ability to be able to tuck in my dress shirt for some situations. Be aware if you carry tucked that the draw is going to be way more difficult. You should practice drawing WITH AN UNLOADED GUN to see if tucked is the way to go. At first I was sure that black metal clip on my belt was going to cause everyone I walked past to yell "Gun" but believe me no one notices.

I currently have a Fist #11 on order for the Glock and I am looking forward to trying an IWB that uses belt loops fore and aft of the gun. Hopefully it will make the Glock into one of those "Almost forgot I had it on guns".

Distinguished Member
    When I was new to carrying, I took the route of buying several cheaper holsters; and I don't regret it at all.

What works for one person may not work for another. Or what works for many, may not work for you. So I decided to buy several cheaper holsters of different styles do determine what works for me. I also found out what features to avoid.

I'm still on the hunt for the "perfect" holster, but I found out what my personal criteria were without adding several $100+ holsters to "the box"

Well so far so good. I'm happy with the High Noon Split Decision, it's unobtrusive and pretty comfortable considering I've never had an IWB holster before. Quality looks good and the only thing I may miss from their higher priced models is the sewn in sight track. The sight on my SR9c does seem to be wearing a bit of leather off the inside. Ordering was easy and the holster arrived promptly with nice instructions included. I also picked up The Slide from Erik at Side Guard Holsters. The transaction was easy and he was great to deal with, I can highly recommend him based on my experience. The holster is very comfortable, but I understand an OWB generally will be. I can only wear the holsters around the house for now, but it's helping me get used to them until getting my permit.
    Ruger SR9, SR9c, Mark III, SP101 .357, New Vaquero .357, Fusion 1911 Elite .45acp

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    Thanks for starting this thread, fmcgraw. Based on the info here I've ordered a High Noon Split Decision.

I like the Mitch Rosen OWB and it's very comfortable, but for carry options I've been searching for a IWB holster and this one looks to be good quality at a reasonable price.

As others have noted, the holster is one thing, the belt is another consideration that's extremely important.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    And here it is - the High Noon Split Decision:

Didn't need to block it or make use the of the adjusting screw. Made specifically for the SR9c (one of the few holsters out there that are), it fits it snug and secure, and covers the trigger guard.

Just tried it out. With a fairly well-fitted pair of khakis and a stiff dress-type belt, the gun simply disappears at 4:30. Super comfortable and totally concealed. I like this way more than the Mitch Rosen OWB, which is still extremely good.

Now I see why so many people favor IWB. For a compact semi-auto, the High Noon Split Decision is a total winner. Craftsmanship and quality are top notch, it shipped quickly, the owner stayed in touch with me, I had a tracking number. Total class act and excellent company to do business with. All this at a great price, too.
    Last edited by shockwave; January 16th, 2011 at 02:12 AM.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by fmcgraw View Post
    ... but wonder if it's overkill, no pun intended, to spend $100 or more right away?
    If you know for certain you like and will be keeping the gun, then acquiring a good holster for carrying it is a very good decision. I'd say that's about the only risk of doing it "right away."

I know I'll want & need a holster for the training class and don't want a crappy $15 one. Whatever I do will probably be an internet purchase as I don't see a lot locally regarding assortment. That also means whatever I get probably won't be going back unless I absolutely hate it due to the inconvenience and expense of internet returns.
    You can hate a custom holster all you want, but keep in mind that it's custom for you. Particularly if you alter anything via color selection or adding some feature, you might well be stuck with the item despite your not preferring it. Careful, when ordering a custom item, to be fair to the custom holster craftsman.

As for off-the-shelf holsters, there are quite a few out there were the maker builds ahead of demand. With these, returns because you find you don't like the holster might be more easily done, depending on the holster company.

Local assortments can be tough to find. It's very, very expensive to maintain a large inventory of high-quality, custom holsters for all the different variety of situations that exists (lefty or righty, color X or Y, feature X or Y, high-ride or low, cant or straight, belt size, specific gun being fitted, etc). Even covering the top ten popular pistols in righty, it would still amount to a fairly good-sized inventory in order to cover the range of features that the average custom holster has available. About all you can do is to be patient, see all the shops you can, try on as many as you're able. Keep an eye out for used holsters, too. You can often pick up a good one at a deep discount, simply because someone has worn it for awhile before you get it.

As for whether the dollar value is worth it, truly custom holsters can be costly. I've spent as much as $145, but as little as $35. Depends on the holster and its purpose/features. Not all "custom" holsters need be well over $100. Root around the "Holsters" forum for various options, in this regard.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I also said that I would not be one of you guys that have a drawer full of holsters but it happened anyway, just sold two of them. Unfortunately the only way to find what works best is to try them. After some slight modifications my IWB Shielded holster for my SR9c is working quite well.

+1 split decision for me too. I am completely satisfied with mine.,
    Be nice to people--they outnumber you 6.5 billion to 1

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    i tried fobus, uncle mikes, and many el chepo holsters till i found what i like, now i carry only in leather off the clock, and its usually don hume or taqua gunleather or a custom job by a gentleman in town who does great work for me. go with leather and go with something between 40-75 bucks as a starter, not too cheap, but just as durable as a 300 doller custom job
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    Okay, so I used to have the mentality that my gun would touch nothing but leather, so i'd buy an $80 galco just to wait for a $200 custom. But there are two problems going this route.

1. It's expensive and eventually you have to adjust your carry style.

2. Embarassing as this is, I still have holsters on order for guns I don't own anymore (and shipped to an address I no longer live at, better change that!) But recently I picked up $12 mikes IWB. Works like a charm, covers the trigger, and is super comfy. The advantage of this is I can use this and wait for a nice holster and save money for ammo and mags.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links