New to CCW, first holster $ question

This is a discussion on New to CCW, first holster $ question within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I decided recently I definitely want to get my permit so I can carry if I desire, though to be honest I'm not yet sure ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to CCW, first holster $ question

I decided recently I definitely want to get my permit so I can carry if I desire, though to be honest I'm not yet sure how often I want to carry. I'll have to work through that, but I'm wondering what this experienced group would recommend for a first holster in general dollar terms.

The pistol is an SR9c I bought today and I see a few High Noon holsters I really like (especially this one: http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Prod...er_w_clip.html), but wonder if it's overkill, no pun intended, to spend $100 or more right away? I know I'll want & need a holster for the training class and don't want a crappy $15 one. Whatever I do will probably be an internet purchase as I don't see a lot locally regarding assortment. That also means whatever I get probably won't be going back unless I absolutely hate it due to the inconvenience and expense of internet returns.

Sorry for being a little long winded. Thanks for your advice and have a very Merry Christmas.

I spent $125 on my Galco Royal Guard for my G19 as my first holster. I love the holster and I now it will last me years, it is an extremely well made holster. It is very comfortable, easy on off with 2 snaps connecting it to my belt and conceals extremely well!

You may or may not end up using your first holster as your every day carry, but then again, you might. Most of us have a "box o holsters" because what works for one person may or may not work for another. No way of telling without trying it yourself!!
    High Noon holsters are good. I have one of theirs and I like it, but it's not my EDC. Sometimes you just gotta have options. If you really decide you won't be using a particular holster, you can probably sell it. I originally thought I was gonna go IWB, but turns out that I have settled on OWB and a longer cover shirt. You just don't know until you try some things.

Whatever holster you choose, do NOT skimp on the gun belt!! I like mine so much I wear it even if I'm not carrying my gun (which is rare, but still). It's a leather gun belt from Crossbreed holsters and with my wardrobe, I really don't see the need to own any other belt!
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

I'm of the philosophy that "the cheap man pays twice". Spend a lesser amount now because $100 seems too steep, and you'll end up paying the lesser amount now and then the $100 later. That being said, my first holster purchase was just under $100 (Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe). I am extremely happy with it and it's been worth every penny in my opinion. Also following the advice I read on this forum, make sure to invest in a good gun belt. I found a good deal at Cabela's on a very nice belt ($60 after discounts), but intend to purchase a custom belt in the near future.

VIP Member
    High Noon is good quality and a decent turn around time. The CrossBreed Super Tuck is a bit less, but still above the el cheapo range. You could also go with an OWB. Generally you can get a decent one from Galco or Desantis for something like $60-80.

Belt and holster combination is just as important as gun selection. It is a system. If one piece is "weak" the whole system is "weak". Spend the money up front and don't worry about whether you will carry full time. If it is good quality it will work when you are ready.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

VIP Member
    I have the box of Holsters too. I quit adding to it when I bought my first Kholster. Kholsters can be had for $50 or less if they are running a sale. Click on their logo at the top of this page for their site. Kholsters are very adjustable and very comfortable.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Oh boy.....this thread could go a pretty good distance. Fmcgraw, I've been carrying on and off for 20 years and I've got a drawer full of holsters. Funny thing is, they all have a use and a place. Some of 'em don't see as much use while others are rotated in the line-up for daily ware depending on the weather, what I'm wearing, and my mood.
    As a first holster purchase I would look at the holsters function WRT your daily dress and habits. Also, as posted above, do NOT bother with a good, quality holster if you pairing it with a Wally-World belt. Spend the money and get a good gun belt. Many holster makers offer them and the diffrence it makes is well worth it. Get a quality betl (or two).
    Do a search here on some of the holster topics posted here and look at the links to some of our holster makers....it'll give you an idea on what's out there and things you might not have considered.
    That Ruger paired with the HighNoon you linked looks like a pretty good match and it'll be a good start. You WILL want other holsters later on.........trust me. Don't worry too much about $ other than if you afford it or not. Go as good as you can. Two of my favorite holsters are in the 'moderate' price range and came from Comp-Tac. Excellent stuff and reasonably priced with a quick turn-around time.
    Regardless, I'd recomend getting that High Noon along with a good belt.....this IS impotrant.

Welcome Aboard !
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    That Tail Gunner holster by High Noon Holster looks good, but I recommend that you look at the Crossbreed Supertuck or the CompTac Minotaur MTAC Holster. These holsters feature a leather backing plate to keep the handgun from rubbing against the body and double clips to distribute the weight of the handgun evenly over the belt. These types of holsters are the most comfortable available. If you do want to spend more money on something really nice, then I recommend you look at custom leather holster manufacturers such as Milt Sparks, Andrews Custom Leather, Kramer Leather and K&D among many others. Additional to a very good holster, it is very important that you get a good gun belt in 1 1/4" to 1 3/4" in width so that it will help support the weight of the gun, the holster and make it more comfortable. Also, if you want to conceal inside the waistband make sure that your pants are 1 - 2 sizes larger so that is more comfortable.

Congratulations on your decision to purchase a handgun and getting your concealed carry permit. The Ruger SR9 Compact is a fantastic weapon for concealed carry, it has very nice ergonomics and it is very reliable. Great gun choice! Make sure you get a lot of practice, take some occasional defensive pistols courses and get ready to dish out a lot of cash because this passion for firearms will get very expensive with time. I bought my first handgun and started carrying 24/7 approximately 2 years ago and since then, my collection has grown exponentially. Next year I am buying a shotgun, an AR-15 and a hunting rifle in .308W as well as a couple of more handguns.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'm like you, OP, and tend to be "frugal" in my purchases. I look at Brand "A" at $125 and then see Brand "B," which looks identical to "A," for $65 and wonder, what's the difference?

If you haven't tried IWB yet, you may find it's not the way you want to go. It doesn't work for everyone. Since you're hesitant to drop big bucks right off the bat, I'd suggest a cheaper version, knowing going in that it may not have the best fit or finish that more expensive ones do. It will allow you to see if IWB is what you want, what changes you think you'd prefer, and then give you an idea of what to look for. Consider your first one your prototype and go from there.

Check some of the holsters at this site. They're inexpensive enough that you won't feel guilty tossing it into a "holster box" never to be used again. I have the ProCarry LT and find it "suitable" for my purposes. One day I'll splurge and drop a bundle for a really fine piece of leather, but until then, the LT will hold my gun in place, where I want it, just fine, which is what a holster is designed to do.

http://www.theholsterstore.net/produ...pg1-cid36.html
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

After wasting my money a bit, I finally wised up and got the the Mitch Rosen from Ruger - designed specifically for the SR9c. It's OWB, but rides high and at 3:30 or so the gun disappears and you almost forget you're carrying.

But there's more: the reinforcement around the lip makes reholstering smooth - not always a given with concealment holsters. Has a small Ruger logo embossed in the leather. When you fit the gun in, it goes 'click' and is secure. I'm still going to add a shoulder rig and IWB options.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

This has been my first holster for about 8 different firearms...I still have them all. http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/holster/1A.htm
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I took a different approach. I purchased a Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro because I didn't what, or have the money, to have a box full of holsters. The Black Ops Pro can be worn in about 23 different options, IWB, OWB, different cants, etc. This one holster solves all of my holster issues. It cost $150, but then I spent another $150 to have it personalized, you don't have to do that. The workmanship is excellent, the purchase process and dealing with Rocky was excellent. The only down side was the wait, but I was told that up front, and half the wait was due to the extra work that I wanted done to it. When it comes to purchasing my next holster, I know right where I'm going to get it. Pure Kustom.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Thanks all, you've given me a lot to think about.
    Ruger SR9, SR9c, Mark III, SP101 .357, New Vaquero .357, Fusion 1911 Elite .45acp

One thing I would emphasize is a good quality gun belt. It is hard to explain in words what a difference a good gun belt makes. I have never been so miserable as a cross country trip my wife and I took. I was carrying a charter arms bulldog pug and had to tighten my belt so much It was a terrible trip. After that trip I changed over to a quality gun belt. Huge difference.
    NRA Life Member

$94.95? . . . I'm not cheap in terms of quality, but I am cheap in how much money I'm willing to spend to purchase "perceived quality." For me and IWB holster first and foremost should be both comfortable and functional, but I also prefer them "tuckable and adjustable" (ride height & cant). I can't speak for the Tail Gunner's comfort, but it does not appear to be tuckable or adjustable. It's basically a what you see, is what you get holster. It either fits your body, your holster/gun ride height and cant or it doesn't. And you won't know any of that until you shell out $95.

I too have a new SR9c and as with several other of my guns I selected the kholster. For basically half the price of the Tail Gunner you get durability, comfort, tuckable, and totally adjustable. On top of that, you get 90 days to decide if you like it or not, and you can return it it even if you mod the holster, like trimming excess leather away as I do. You can see my post on this subject here.
    Kholster/Glock 17/Rugar SR9c/Bersa 380CC/Ruger LCR/SW 624/ SW 629
    Doublestar Star 15 M4 5.56 / Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader

I don't even call it violence when it's in self defense; I call it intelligence
    Malcolm X

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links