Holster for ladies that are expecting

This is a discussion on Holster for ladies that are expecting within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I found out last night that my wife is pregnant So I'm now looking at holster options for her. We don't figure the Smart Carry ...

I found out last night that my wife is pregnant

So I'm now looking at holster options for her. We don't figure the Smart Carry is going to work for very long. She carries a Walther PPS.

So if any of the ladies have any suggestions we would appreciate it.

Thanks
    We the willing, being guided by the unknowing, Doing impossible feats, for the ungrateful, Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
    We now feel qualified to do, absolutely anything, with literally nothing

My wife is 3 months pregnant and the only holster she can possibly wear comfortably is a OWB holster. When she had my second daughter, she completely stopped carrying on her person at about 6 months. She switched to purse carry, which is less than ideal. No sense in arguing with a pregnant woman.

Can gunfire harm an unborn baby's ears?
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    Yes it can, and most training facilities won't allow pregnant women to attend. There's also some risk of lead exposure, even if SHE is using TMJ ammo, there's no guarantee that anyone else at the range is. The Baby's Jacuzzi (as my ex called it) is a rather dense liquid that carries sound extremely well, and there is no way to shield the mother's body in such a way to protect the amniotic fluid from the sound. Once the baby's big enough to kick, get a set of headphones with no headband (or break one off of a cheap set) and place them on her belly. Play music at a low volume, and your baby will kick to the beat of the music.

That being said, it's not nearly as harmful as a dead or severely injured mother, so I wouldn't tell her not to carry. . . but I wouldn't recommend range time while she's pregnant.

And CONGRATS to you two :)

Probably....but then again, it's probably better than being dead....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

- Thanks for bringing this up. I never even thought about this issue. I was actually thinking of going to the range over the holidays with my wife, but that's definitely out of the picture now...

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - Thanks for bringing this up. I never even thought about this issue. I was actually thinking of going to the range over the holidays with my wife, but that's definitely out of the picture now...
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026"/> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapelayout v:ext="edit"> <o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1"/> </o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->

I had a pregnant (first trimester) lady inquire about firearms classes for her and her husband. I told her that I would be glad to teach her, but only upon receipt of a statement from her Dr. saying that it would be safe for her to do so. I've had several similar requests over the years, and have never received a statement from a Dr. saying it would be safe to shoot during pregnancy. I haven't found any concrete evidence, either way. I won't risk damaging the hearing of an unborn child, but here are a couple of considerations.....

http://www.dangerousdecibels.org/hearingloss.cfm

• A typical conversation occurs at 60 dB - not loud enough to cause damage.
    • A bulldozer that is idling (note that this is idling, not actively bulldozing) is loud enough at 85 dB that it can cause permanent damage after only 1 work day (8 hours).
    • When listening to music on earphones at a standard volume level 5, the sound generated reaches a level of 100 dB, loud enough to cause permanent damage after just 15 minutes per day!
    • A clap of thunder from a nearby storm (120 dB) or a gunshot (140-190 dB, depending on weapon), can both cause immediate damage.

then this........

http://www.theppsc.org/Staff_Views/C...nt_officer.htm

Noise usually is considered to be detrimental during pregnancy. In most European countries, health regulations forbid pregnant women from working in surroundings with a continuous noise level greater than 80 dB or a rapid-impulse noise level greater than 40 dB, which is much less than the noise of a firearm [6]. In the United States, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration permissible exposure limit for rapid-impulse noise is 140 dB, with additional regulations for continuous noise. The sound levels of firearms are about 125 to 140 dB for rimfire rifles; 140 to 150 dB for rimfire pistols; and 150 to 160 dB for centerfire rifles, pistols, and shotguns [7].

Intrauterine measurements showed that the fetus was not significantly protected against loud noises [8]. One study in human volunteers found a maximal intrauterine noise attenuation of 10 dB at 4000 Hz [9]. In a study of ewes, the noise attenuation was 20 dB at 4000 Hz, but the noise inside the uterus was 2 to 5 dB greater at 250 Hz [10]. In comparison, foam plugs offer attenuation of 12 to 20 dB and are considered to be the least effective hearing protection [7].

Noise exposure during pregnancy has been associated with several disorders, including miscarriage [11,12], intrauterine growth retardation [13,14,16], preterm delivery [12,15,16], hearing loss in babies and children [17], altered immune response in the fetus [18], and hypertension [12]. A combined exposure to noise and lead seems to have an increased toxicity, causing heart lesions, which are not observed for those agents alone [19].

For information only.....
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

Congratulations to you and the Mrs. on your upcoming bundle of joy.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Distinguished Member
    You might check out recent issues of Concealed Carry magazine. There was one recently that featured "Carrying While Carrying" as an article. I think there have actually been several articles on this over the last year or so.

ps. Yes, congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by livewire9880 View Post
    Yes it can, and most training facilities won't allow pregnant women to attend. There's also some risk of lead exposure, even if SHE is using TMJ ammo, there's no guarantee that anyone else at the range is. The Baby's Jacuzzi (as my ex called it) is a rather dense liquid that carries sound extremely well, and there is no way to shield the mother's body in such a way to protect the amniotic fluid from the sound. Once the baby's big enough to kick, get a set of headphones with no headband (or break one off of a cheap set) and place them on her belly. Play music at a low volume, and your baby will kick to the beat of the music.

That being said, it's not nearly as harmful as a dead or severely injured mother, so I wouldn't tell her not to carry. . . but I wouldn't recommend range time while she's pregnant.

And CONGRATS to you two :)

I'd like to know what OB/GYN told you that. The one that my lady goes to said that shooting while pregnant was perfectly fine, as long as she took measures to minimize lead exposure. We shoot outdoors, so lead exposure is virtually a non-issue. And as far as the noise, the fetus is bouncing around in a fluid filled sac, which is in turn sealed inside a human body. I doubt a gunshot will be as loud in there.

As far as holster choices goes, right now, my lady is 6 months pregnant, and she's really pregnant, if ya know what I mean. She carries OWB, usually at 4 o'clock, and she's gonna give shoulder carry a try. She alternates between a 1911 and a S&W Model 13.

Quote Originally Posted by William Hill View Post
    I'd like to know what OB/GYN told you that.
    Actually, it wasn't specifically about shooting, my girlfriend at the time wasn't a shooter, and I didn't carry at the time. It was a general caution about loud noises, the amniotic sac actually amplifies sound. We were told that by two OBs and a midwife, the two OBs were at different clinics, and the midwife was at the same place as one of the OBs. It was her second child, and she had been told that before.

Lead and noise

Per my Firearms Instructor training, (I am not a medical expert) shooters can get a lot of lead exposure even from an outdoor range. This is a pregnancy concern from the start. Some examples:

Inhaling gun smoke, especially if you are downwind of other shooters.

Handling lead bullets and spent cases.

Eating or drinking with contaminated hands.

Failing to thoroughly wash hands - 3 times with cold water.

Failing to change clothes when returning home.

Handling contaminated clothes in the laundry room.

Failing to wear gloves when cleaning guns.

We are told fetal response to sound begins at 16 weeks, and the ear is completely developed at 24 weeks. Minimal shooting, such as re-qualifying with proper lead precautions, may be OK in the first trimester. Afterwards, not so because of the noise.

If the shooting is recreational , why chance it at all? Becoming a good parent requires many compromises that are a lot more inconvenient than postponing shooting. As a parent and grandparent I can say conclusively that the compromises are well worth it in the end.

Links