A review of my new rig

A review of my new rig

This is a discussion on A review of my new rig within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am finally getting a chance to try out my new carry rig, which consists of a black Quick Ship 1 1/2" belt from A&G ...

A review of my new rig

I am finally getting a chance to try out my new carry rig, which consists of a black Quick Ship 1 1/2" belt from A&G leather, a High Noon Skin Guard OWB holster, and Double Skin mag carrier. Carry weapon is my SA Loaded 5" 1911, and two Wilson 47D's in the mag carrier.

I will start off with the belt, which I am quite impressed with. Shipped it took about 3 days from the time I ordered it, until it was on my doorstep waiting for leave to start. Craftsmanship, fit and finish are superb. Really, for as short of a time as it took to get here, I think it is a solid deal. It is thicker than normal belts obviously, and is taking a little bit of breaking in to get comfortable, but it does a good job of holding up my 1911, while keeping it in close to the body. I haven't noticed any flaws in it. There was a not that came with it saying to keep an eye on the Chicago screws, and to put some blue Loc-tite on them so they don't back out, which I did, and I don't see an issue with it forming in the future.

The High Noon Skin Guard is an OWB with a guard for the skin, made out of the special stuff High Noon makes their stocking items out of. It seems like a durable material, I haven't had any issues with any of their stocking holsters I own. The belt slots are wide enough to drive a dump truck through, so no problems getting a gun belt in there. It took some playing with the retention screw to get the holster just right, so the pistol could be drawn without effort, but at the same time wouldn't just slide out. This is a utilitarian holster, not a BBQ rig. The material they use isn't boned or formed like leather holsters are, so., in my mind, it doesn't look as nice. But, it takes a beating, and still have excellent retention, so it works for me. Add in the price, that it took about 3-4 days to show up on my door, and that no one should see it anyways, and it makes for a good deal.

The Double Skin magazine carrier is designed to carry single stack magazines, and does so without much issue. It took some playing with the screws to get them to stay in there right, but that took all of two minutes. I can also use it just fine with my Sig 220 magazines, which is a nice bonus. About the only issue I have with this magazine holder, is that the little slots in the back (which you can see here: http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Prod...uble_skin.html) are not quite wide enough to fit the belt loops on my Levis with my belt threaded through all of it. I wish they were wide enough, as it would be a good way to keep my mag holder in the spot I want it, so it can't slide around. But, other than that, it gets the job done.

Overall, for someone who needs a rig in a hurry, without breaking the bank as far as full rigs go, I'd say this is a solid set up. The most expensive part was the belt, which is also the most important part, and everything was waiting for me less than 5 days after the order was made. I don't think I will win any BBQ gun contests, but it works. This is going to be my Ohio winter go-to set up for a while. I'm not sure how some of you guys carry OWB in the summers, as I don't have many t-shirts long enough to conceal the whole 1911. But with winter coats, and hoodies, or a unbuttoned button up shirt, I can do it no problem.

Thanks to everyone who helped me in selecting the pieces of this set-up, and to the manufacturers who make fine products at affordable prices.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Cool

Good on ya for getting the High Noon Skin Guard. I like the fact that it has natural leather laminated to the outer material so that the leather is next to the gun. I use their Public Secret, Pocket Pal and Mr. Softy holsters and am well pleased with their quality and the in stock availability.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

This is my second Skin Guard as I have one for my Sig 220, I also have two Bare Assets, one for my Bersa .380, and one for my S&W j-frame, which is my "I'm feeling lazy set-up" but works extremely well.

The High Noon stocking items really have such a low wait time and affordable price, that for every day carry gear, I think its almost impossible to beat. I just need to see how long they hold up to the abuse I gvive them over the years.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Good on ya for getting the High Noon Skin Guard. I like the fact that it has natural leather laminated to the outer material so that the leather is next to the gun. I use their Public Secret, Pocket Pal and Mr. Softy holsters and am well pleased with their quality and the in stock availability.
    I just got a holster in yesterday from Aker and their internal leather that is against the gun is the rough side and it's already beginning to chew through my parkerized finish after a few dozen draws. It also has this annoying little piece of leather that holds into the ejection port and will not let me draw with one hand.

Are either of those things an issue on the Skin Guard? Is the leather on the inside of the Skin Guard the smooth leather like the leather that is against the gun on the Comp-Tac MTAC?

I'm beginning to understand why people have holster drawers.

Sleipnir,

The High Noon holster is just the same material throughout. It isn't lined, its pretty smooth on the inside, but I don't have it here to look at. It also has a tension screw, so you can adjust it to find that sweet spot between retention and a smooth draw. For the money, I think it is hard to beat that holster. Contact the guys at High Noon, if you give them a call they will take the time to make sure you get what you want. I've done several orders from them, and haven't had a problem yet.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Alright, I'll do that then. Looking back on it I really should have saved up $200 more and gotten the loaded model instead; the parkerized finish on my mil-spec doesn't play nice with kydex nor rough leather and to make matters worse the slide and frame are carbon steel, not stainless, making my vigilance to clean it regularly a must to prevent rust.

I just need something that retains the gun without my 1911 taking the holster, belt, and pants with it when I try to draw with one hand.

The last question I had is how tightly to the side does it carry? I noticed it's a high ride and I'm not familiar with how tightly a government size all steel 1911 will hold against the body. I use a 1.75" Wilderness Instructors belt with C.S.M. polymer insert if that helps.

Cool

As long as you have a stiff belt that High Noon holster should lay right against your side but again it is a heavy weapon.The belt needs to be at your waist line. Anytime you wear the belt lower around your hips the weapon will be layed out farther from your torso.The vast majority of my carry rigs are IWB and my belts are 2 layer leather so no problems with not laying tight to the body. I had a kydex duty holster several years back that wore the tenifer finish off my G-19 slide in short order. All my holsters are leather now and no problrms, and yes I have a holster drawer.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Links