Same Holster for Multiple Guns? Same Holster in different Colors?

This is a discussion on Same Holster for Multiple Guns? Same Holster in different Colors? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Curious how all of you manage your holsters. I like to have matching color for belt, mag pouch and holster but I've also got a ...

Thread: Same Holster for Multiple Guns? Same Holster in different Colors?

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar

Same Holster for Multiple Guns? Same Holster in different Colors?

Curious how all of you manage your holsters. I like to have matching color for belt, mag pouch and holster but I've also got a few holster that do double duty. For example I have an AKJ Concealco IWB for a 4" 1911. I use the same holster for a 3.5" compact 1911.

I used to always have all black holsters but made the mistake of getting a holster from AKJ Concealco in their "concealco brown" color and love it. So now I'm tempted to get a black rig and a brown rig for each gun. I already have one of their brown belts and one black.

So how do you like the color of your rigs to be? Do you buty two colors for each gun? do you share holsters?

Just curious
    Gideon

2. Remove Ads

Brown belt, = brown boots, holster and Stetson
    Black belt= black boots , holster and Stetson

You have to coordinate your colors. :)

IWB. Take fashion and color out of the equation, save some money, and solve some storage issues.

Ugly kydex/leather IWB with black clips. All my belts are black so it is a matter of 1.5" or 1" clips. On the rare days when I OWB, it is a DeSantis black holster.

In fact if you want to literally be down to 1 holster for multiple guns, the same IWB Kydex/Leather holster can be reformed to another gun fairly quick.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

CBST in tan horsehide with black kydex supported by a black Crossbreed belt, holster is HIDDEN inside the waistband of various shades of blue jeans and whatever color cargo shorts I wear in the summer. The black GLOCK 19, 26, 17, 34, 22, 23, 27, 35, 31, 32, and 33 will all fit the same CBST. The color matching is the least of my worries when it comes to concealed carry, now it may be different story if I open carried a safe queen.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I have different colors leather holsters to help with determining which goes with what...but considering FL is only CC, it really is not important to make a fashion statement.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I recall a female police officer ordering 3 identical sets (belt, holster, mag pouch) in 3 different colors, to coordinate with her wardrobe.

I frequently receive requests for concealed carry holsters with tooling, carving, exotic inlays, etc.

I produce hundreds of the classic Tom Threepersons' style holsters every year, many of those featuring hand carving to the original pattern and outfitted with matching belts and accessories. Beautiful rigs, suitable for any nice barbeque, intended to be shown off with a classic handgun.

My take on this? First, I don't mind customers spending money; that's why I am in business. Second, concealed carry holsters are not meant to be seen, so decoration and color coordination are important only for those whose gear will be seen by their friends and co-workers. All I can do is try to help the customer get what he or she wants.

I've been carrying for more than four decades. My gear is never seen unless I intend it to be. My personal rigs tend to be pretty plain and utilitarian, just top quality leather properly fitted and nicely finished.
    Lobo Gun Leather
    serious equipment for serious business, since 1972
    www.lobogunleather.com

I used to order my IWB holsters with shark or some other exotic skin. Then I figured out I was just wasing money.
    Kramer horsehide is my IWB of choice right now.
    My OWB rig..I still like it to be "pretty". I'm a HCP instructor and that's about the only time I go OWB
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    Curious how all of you manage your holsters. I like to have matching color for belt, mag pouch and holster but I've also got a few holster that do double duty. For example I have an AKJ Concealco IWB for a 4" 1911. I use the same holster for a 3.5" compact 1911.

I used to always have all black holsters but made the mistake of getting a holster from AKJ Concealco in their "concealco brown" color and love it. So now I'm tempted to get a black rig and a brown rig for each gun. I already have one of their brown belts and one black.

So how do you like the color of your rigs to be? Do you buty two colors for each gun? do you share holsters?

Just curious
    Gideon
    I have a lot of holsters, and almost all of them are black, because it's my favorite. I wear a lot of black clothes, too, so anything else would stand out, if somehow glimpsed. Doesn't really matter, though. Concealed means concealed, right? I've got a brown holster, a red holster, and recently a couple of green holsters. I think you should indulge yourself whatever holsters you want, to the extent you can afford it. Really, holsters aren't all that expensive, especially considering the amount of use you get out of them, and compared to a lot of the BS we all spend our money on day to day.
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

Remember what Henry Ford said when asked about what color of his Model T was available.

"You can have whatever you want as long as it's black."

IWB isn't supposed to be visible. The color is your own choice and for your edification.

Personally I think Black is kind of neutral and goes with most everything. There isn't much a black belt doesn't go with.

But hey it's your dough and if it makes you happy, get all the colors you like. My 3 OWB holsters are black.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    A lot of practical answers here. I started out all black. it was simple, same, and functional.

I'm normally the practical one and continue to be so, however, I must confess that a matched rig is beautiful.

On a whim I ordered a new belt, holster, and mag for a new commander 1911. I needed another belt anyway so I decided to get it all in a dark brown to go with jeans a bit better since I often wear the belt even with a tucked shirt. So I got the mag pouch and holster to match. I don't think I'll get any other colors and I've never bought a holster with an exotic skin for the reasons you've all mentioned.

I am currently buying a new IWB for a compact 1911 but had it sized to fit a 4" so my two 1911's can share the same holster. That's practical .

I was just curious. After seeing some of the beautiful guns on the forum I guessed there'd be more folks out there who like matching rigs and different colors, etc. Perhaps there are; they're just not willing to admit it!

Gideon

Links