IWB Hybrid Holster for the Ruger SP101

This is a discussion on IWB Hybrid Holster for the Ruger SP101 within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After having some reliability issues with my Kahr .45s I went looking for a carry gun with adequate power and good concealability. I picked up ...

Thread: IWB Hybrid Holster for the Ruger SP101

After having some reliability issues with my Kahr .45s I went looking for a carry gun with adequate power and good concealability.

I picked up a Ruger SP 101 that had Weigand's Tame the Beast Package on it and really like the gun so I had to make a holster for it and this is what I came up with.

It is a thin (4 oz) leather, I've gone back and forth between thick and thin leather and can't find a single reason not to use thin leather. It is cheaper. It is more comfortable. It is easier to work with. I've worn a thin leather holster like this for my Kahr PM9 for about 14 months and it still performs fine.

The Kydex is tan in color. I picked a quantity of it and it works as well as the black kydex I've been using. It is .060 thick, molds well and is holding up fine.

I've worn this holster for over a month now. I had to tweak it a little because of the cylinder. First I had a hard time drawing the revolver until I realized that a slight twist freed the gun right up. Now it has excellent retention and yet draws with no problem. Secondly reholstering was a bit of a problem. I fixed this by heating the mouth of the holster and giving it a slight outward flare. This allows the front edge of the cylinder to enter the holster and snap in.

The hooks are an improvement over my previous attempts. They are a little thicker and are from .080 kydex. The rear hook is a reverse j hook that allows the belt to bear some of the weight of the hand gun.

I am going to work on making a couple of speed strip holders for it and will post pictures when I'm able.

As always I look forward to your comments and questions.

Thanks,

Rick
    Attached Images
    Hooah! It's an Army thing!

topsblades@gmail.com

Very nice. I made a similar rig for my snubby and find it the most comfortable way to carry

Sponsored Links