Springfield XD subcompact in CB Supertuck.....need some help.

This is a discussion on Springfield XD subcompact in CB Supertuck.....need some help. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've had my Springfield XD subcompact .40 for several years now and I carry it often, but not as often as I'd like, especially in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springfield XD subcompact in CB Supertuck.....need some help.

I've had my Springfield XD subcompact .40 for several years now and I carry it often, but not as often as I'd like, especially in the warmer weather days. I've got an ankle rig that I can carry and tried a few iwb and other holsters for it. The problem I have ran into is that (I guess with my build......6'-1", 186 lbs.....pretty lean), the holster and gun create a buldge of sorts, no matter what position or cant I have the holster adjusted to, therefore making it absolutely impossible for me to carry this with my shirt tucked in if needed be, and still yet fairly difficult with a t-shirt on that actually fits.....not a bigger baggy t-shirt.

Has anyone experienced this problem as well?? I'm not really looking to buy a larger size pair of jeans or wear bigger and baggy t-shirts but would like to figure out the best solution...........other than buying a smaller gun (which will come in time....and with money). My t-shirts are not tight....they just fit. My jeans....the same.....fit, not tight.

Anyone know what I can do to get rid of that buldge? I've tried and played with the positions on me and the holster to try to get rid of it and can't figure it out. If I had to wear dress slacks and a shirt tucked in or something like that I couldn't carry......the buldge makes me look like I've got a hip problem!!

Thanks.

Do you HAVE a supertuck, or are you asking if you should get one?

I have an M-Tac, which is set up very much like the supertuck from what I can tell, and have no issues concealing my XD-40 Service model. I'm a little squishier than you at 6'3"/240lbs, but you should still be fine with the XDsc.

Quote Originally Posted by CS33 View Post
    the buldge makes me look like I've got a hip problem!!
    So blame it on a hip problem :-D

VIP Member
    Many times what we see as an obvious bulge, others don't even notice. My Glocks all dissapear in a Crossbreed. I still notice them in a mirror, but to others, it is unnoticed. Of course there is going to be a little bulge in the attire you described. The XD is not a thin gun. It takes a little more to cover a larger gun than something small and thin.

Do the best you can. If it still doesn't work for you, look at other options.
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

I'm the same build and am having a hard time with my M&Pc wearing a sweatshirt! But I figure it's just because I know where it is. The M&P does not ride at 3:00 as nicely as my P-9, 3:30-4:00 is much more comfortable, but it prints a lot more in that position when I bend over, which I need to do at work a lot... right in front of my customers. My sweatshirt tightens up across my lower back and there's the grip. Thick pistols and thin people just don't mesh well depending on your activity. If you're just walking through Walmart or driving here to there it's a different story, but I still feel a lot of it is because we know where the gun is and what to look for.
    I'm about ready to start playing with cant and position, lowering it into my waitband, even though that will affect reholstering, but I know I can do better than I am currently doing, which is grabbing my P-9. Still, I'm pretty sure my M&P will never be a T shirt EDC, no matter what. And I did try a baggier T back when I first got it. The shirt hung up on the gun when I straightened back up, lol. And this is why some of us have more than one carry gun and holster system.

Yes, I have a supertuck. Sorry, meant to clarify that. I guess it maybe is a little bit more of the fact that I know its there, and so does the wife, so she points it out. I have zero problems at all with a sweat shirt on or a coat over it or even a baggier shirt if I chose to wear one. One thing I have been reading about last night and this morning that I am probably lacking is a good gun belt. I've been wearing a regular belt this whole time with mine.....so maybe that will help keep it tucked a little closer to me since they are designed to hold the weight. I just didn't want to really spend $70-$80 on a belt.....but I guess you get what you pay for to a certain extent. My other option I am looking at is possibly getting a smaller .380 at some point. I just didn't want to spend the money on that right now either..... I am looking at Kel Tec's PF9 (9mm) and their P-3AT (.380). Anybody have any reviews on these two ??? Durability, quality, etc.... ??? Never even shot a kel tec.

Thanks for the replies folks, I'll get somethign figured out.

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    You may need to wear your pants a bit higher and get a stiffer belt.

Before I started using an actual double-thick gunbelt, my pants would occasionally sag back down to my hips instead of my actual waist.

Your gun should ride in the natural hollow of your body between your floating rib and your hip. If it slips down lower, it bulges out with the flare of your hip.
    Not my circus, not my monkeys.

I'm also thin and working through similar issues but if you're like me and most others new to carrying you're probably a little (if not overly) self-conscious about it. There's always going to be a bulge but isn't that XD a relatively thick handgun, like 1.4"? I chose an SR9c mainly because it's one of slimmest double stacks available in my price range. Adjusting forward cant has made a big difference with printing around 3:30 but I'm still playing with location, ride height and cant to find the most comfortable and least noticeable combination. I may eventually go even slimmer like a PPS or Kahr but on the other hand there's plenty of guys our size or smaller carrying larger weapons, browse youtube to get some ideas what works- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEsEBnR7-V8

Have you considered trying appendix carry?

My XD9SC hides better appendix in a High Noon Mr. Softy. I have a Supertuck, it is very comfortable and conceals well (can also carry the XD45).

A good belt does make a difference, but not sure it will solve your problem. Use the search and read about the other pistols you mentioned. There's plenty of info in here.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    it prints a lot more in that position when I bend over, which I need to do at work a lot... right in front of my customers.
    Unless you just really like to show your butt off to your customers, you might want to crouch instead of bend. Not just for your CCW, but also for your back. You don't have to be picking stuff up to damage your back by bending instead of crouching.

Yes, I have a supertuck. Sorry, meant to clarify that. I guess it maybe is a little bit more of the fact that I know its there, and so does the wife, so she points it out.
    You two will see it better than anyone else. Unless I'm printing the actual shape of the gun, I don't worry about it. But I also rarely print because of. . .

One thing I have been reading about last night and this morning that I am probably lacking is a good gun belt. I've been wearing a regular belt this whole time with mine
    GET THE BELT, lol. The difference in comfort with gun and mags, as well as stability will make it the best $60-100 you've ever spent.

Quote Originally Posted by livewire9880 View Post
    Unless you just really like to show your butt off to your customers, you might want to crouch instead of bend. Not just for your CCW, but also for your back. You don't have to be picking stuff up to damage your back by bending instead of crouching.
    You nailed it. I like showing my butt off

I'm 6' 3" and I carry in that same holster/gun combo and don't have any trouble. Here are a few pictures of how it looks on me as well as a picture of my favorite tuckable AIWB holster. YOu should really give appendix carry a try.

Gotta have the shirt my man. You can only ankle or crotch carry if youre wearing a wife beater or snug t shirt.
    "You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body." CS Lewis

S&W .41 Mag - Colt DS - Ruger Single Six - Ruger Security Six - Buckmark-Beretta 21A - S&W 351PD 22 Mag- Spfld XD 9mm -- Plenty Of Long Guns--- Dry Powder and RCBS.

I've had my Springfield XD subcompact .40 for several years now and I carry it often, but not as often as I'd like, especially in the warmer weather days. I've got an ankle rig that I can carry and tried a few iwb and other holsters for it. The problem I have ran into is that (I guess with my build......6'-1", 186 lbs.....pretty lean), the holster and gun create a buldge of sorts, no matter what position or cant I have the holster adjusted to, therefore making it absolutely impossible for me to carry this with my shirt tucked in if needed be, and still yet fairly difficult with a t-shirt on that actually fits.....not a bigger baggy t-shirt.

Has anyone experienced this problem as well?? I'm not really looking to buy a larger size pair of jeans or wear bigger and baggy t-shirts but would like to figure out the best solution...........other than buying a smaller gun (which will come in time....and with money). My t-shirts are not tight....they just fit. My jeans....the same.....fit, not tight.

Anyone know what I can do to get rid of that buldge? I've tried and played with the positions on me and the holster to try to get rid of it and can't figure it out. If I had to wear dress slacks and a shirt tucked in or something like that I couldn't carry......the buldge makes me look like I've got a hip problem!!

Thanks.
    You are not alone my friend!!! At 6ft 1in 195 lbs. I carry my weight in my hips & J Lo A**.. I carry a Glock 23. During the winter, no prob. Between the sweat shirts, jackets & my fav, rugby shirts I can wear my Galco Concealable Belt holster at 5 o'clock. Or Galco Summer Comfort Inside Pant Holster.
    During the summer, I'm a t-shirt, shorts & flip flops guy. I'm having to adjust my shirt options. If I pull my pants to my waist, then I look like Erkel. Otherwise the gun pushes out from my hip. Even with a quality gun belt. Which I highly recommend.
    I'm leaning towards the concealed carry button down SS shirts. I really want to stick with my Glock 23.
    I know we are our worst critics. But still, I'm a perfectionist.

I have the same gun (except in the 9mm pill), anyhow, who's the maker of the last holster in your photos? I have the cbst, but would like to get the appendix carry rig you have that also holds the extra mag. Great photos! I can already tell that I need to adjust my cant too. I'm 5' 8" @ 160, so I'm kinda with everyone on the slender scale, just shorter. Which doesnt help at all. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by maddy345 View Post
    I'm 6' 3" and I carry in that same holster/gun combo and don't have any trouble. Here are a few pictures of how it looks on me as well as a picture of my favorite tuckable AIWB holster. YOu should really give appendix carry a try.

It is a Desantis Tuck This. I took off the Desantis clip and put on a spare Crossbreed clip that I had.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links