Observations on Crossbreed Minituck, MTAC Minotaur, and High Noon Public Secret

This is a discussion on Observations on Crossbreed Minituck, MTAC Minotaur, and High Noon Public Secret within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First off, I'm relatively new to concealed carry. I have been carrying for only a few months. I have noticed a few things that I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Observations on Crossbreed Minituck, MTAC Minotaur, and High Noon Public Secret

Post Observations on Crossbreed Minituck, MTAC Minotaur, and High Noon Public Secret

First off, I'm relatively new to concealed carry. I have been carrying for only a few months. I have noticed a few things that I thought were worth sharing regarding two very similar and popular holsters.

I am 5'11", male, and weigh about 170 lbs. I have an average build. I try to wear clothing that fits. I have not bought any clothing to accommodate carrying a pistol.

I've been using a few holsters for my Kahr P9 -- not exactly the hardest pistol to conceal given how thin it is.

I started off purchasing the Public Secret from High Noon Holsters because of the praise found here and elsewhere for High Noon's work. The holster, although praiseworthy due to its fine craftsmanship and quality, simply does not work for me. It's just too thick and the pistol sits too high in relation to my beltline. Disappointing because I like the holster. I do have a couple High Noon magazine holsters (single and double stack, single and dual magazine) that work great and I have no complaints about them. So, I have a nice like-new Public Secret sitting in a ziploc that I will likely never use.

On to the CBMT and MTAC Minotaur. The most striking difference between these two holsters is the workmanship and materials. The Minotaur's "fit and finish" is much higher quality than the Minituck. The leather is nicely finished, has two layers around the top edge for the slide guard and covers the metal hardware. The leather is "better" seeming -- sturdier, yet thin enough to not compromise its concealibility.

In contrast, the CBMT couldn't get much simpler in design or finish. The leather is somewhat thin and flimsy. I don't want to call it cheaply made, but sitting next to the Minotaur, it sure seems that way.

The feel of how each holster accepts the pistol when holstering is different. The Minotaur simply has the pistol slide in with increasing "grip" on the pistol the further it is holstered. The Minituck has a nice positive "click" into place due to how the kydex is formed around the trigger guard.

In terms of putting on and taking off the holsters, the Minotaur is easier to deal with. It uses kydex clips in contrast to the metal found on the Minituck. I also don't like the crosses on the Minituck, but that's another story.

A note about what I've found to be me ideal carry method. Many comments I've read here talk about carrying 3:00 and "later", i.e. further clockwise starting from the center of your hip. I have found that I prefer an "earlier" position -- 2:00 to 2:30. The reason for this is that at 3:00 and later, any forward bend at the waist results in significant printing from the handle of the pistol. Between 2:00 and 2:30, I never worry about the handle showing up.

Despite my preference for the quality of the Minotaur and its kydex clips, I've found that functionally, for me, the Minituck works a fair bit better. The kydex clips on the Minotaur are longer and extend further past the holster than the metal clips found on the Minituck. The kydex continually gouges my thigh anytime I'm sitting. If I wore the Minotaur at 3:00 or further clockwise, this issue would not occur and the two holsters would perform equally well. But I sit all day at work and the kydex pressure on my leg has become annoying.

I don't have much to add in terms of the "tuckability" of the holsters. Both seem to work fine if you must tuck your shirt in but it's not something I've played with a lot.

I would highly recommend either the MTAC Minotaur or the Crossbreed Minituck. Functionally, they are likely identical depending on how you wear it. The Minotaur wins out in overall quality and "upgradeability" -- if you sell your carry gun, you can get a new kydex body and just swap it onto your existing Minotaur holster, which is a nice touch.

Hope this helps anyone considering any of these holsters.

2. Remove Ads

Thanks for the review.

Once you decide how you like to wear the Minotaur, you can cut off the ends of the clips and round them with a file so they don't stick out past the leather.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

Nice write up.

VIP Member
    Both of those holsters are adjustable for cant. You should be able to cant your firearm forward enough to not have it protrude in the 3:00-3:30 position. That would alleviate your problem when sitting. Another technique is to squat rather than bend. It's better for your back anyway.

As far as the High Noon, everyone is different. What works for one person may not for someone else. Thank goodness for all of the choices available to us.

Thanks for the review.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The one biggest advantage I see in both is that once you've established where and how you want to wear it, you can cut/trim away any excess leather or kydex you don't need or care for. Either can be "modified" to your particular tastes without worrying about ruining expensive, hand-tooled leather finishing.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

OldVet, what do you do with the stitching then, when you trim down the leather? I can't tell from CB's site as their images don't zoom enough, but the MTAC looks built like my Galco, with stitching running around the the outer edge holding the two pieces of glued leather together.
    BTW, the Falaphoto girl is on CB's website. Interesting. I wonder if she's getting royalties...

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The one biggest advantage I see in both is that once you've established where and how you want to wear it, you can cut/trim away any excess leather or kydex you don't need or care for. Either can be "modified" to your particular tastes without worrying about ruining expensive, hand-tooled leather finishing.
    Completely agree as I have done with both my minituck and supertuck.

OP, as you carry more, I think you may soon realize the benefits of carrying 330 to 4 position. Squatting becomes second nature. As you described, sitting will be an issue win forward of the 3 position. Then again, this is based obviously on my experiences. I did carry, although not with a crossbreed in the forward positions. Also, there is a natural pocket there below the lats and above the hip that help conceal the firearm, of course this depends on your build.
    CC:
    Glock 19 Gen 3 in a Brommeland Max Con V
    Glock 26 Gen 4 in a Brommeland Max Con V
    Karh PM9 in a Isotope 7 (made by Gary Brommeland)
    Home Protection:
    Mossberg 500 and Kimber Custom II 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by mfcmb View Post
    Once you decide how you like to wear the Minotaur, you can cut off the ends of the clips and round them with a file so they don't stick out past the leather.
    Good point -- the thought crossed mind but I haven't been compelled to do so yet.

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    OldVet, what do you do with the stitching then, when you trim down the leather? I can't tell from CB's site as their images don't zoom enough, but the MTAC looks built like my Galco, with stitching running around the the outer edge holding the two pieces of glued leather together.
    The Minituck (and I think the Supertuck as well) is a single piece of leather, so no worries about stitching.

The Minotaur is double-layered except for a "lip" that extends passed the end of the slide.

Clarification, the single-layer portion is at the bottom of the holster extending past the muzzle.

Forgot to mention -- I have a Supertuck ordered for a new CZ RAMI BD I got a couple weeks ago. This one will be horsehide and the full size holster instead of the mini. I like the Crossbreed stuff enough to do repeat business.

I would have ordered a kydex body for my Minotaur instead if they offered it for that CZ model.

Thanks derpd8, I was wondering about that.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leathernuts View Post
    Also, there is a natural pocket there below the lats and above the hip that help conceal the firearm, of course this depends on your build.

Ha! I have quite the "anti-pocket" if you will. Makes printing pretty much inevitable, which is why I have to resort to off-body carry at work...

more forward cant=less printing

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    more forward cant=less printing
    I'm not talking about printing out the back. A spare tire pushes the grip out laterally, and no amount of cant will stop that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links