Springfield XDM Compact (3.8) Open Carry Holster

This is a discussion on Springfield XDM Compact (3.8) Open Carry Holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently purchased the Springfield XDM Compact and I love it. I just learned that in the state of Florida, it is legal for me ...

Thread: Springfield XDM Compact (3.8) Open Carry Holster

I recently purchased the Springfield XDM Compact and I love it. I just learned that in the state of Florida, it is legal for me to open carry while fishing, hunting, or camping, AND while going to and from these activities. I've been doing a good bit of kayak fishing, and carry my Micro Desert Eagle on the boat in a container. Now that I have discovered I can open carry, I'm searching for a good open carry holster with either a strap or a button to hold the gun in so it won't have a chance of falling out unless I tell it to. Does anyone have any experience with holsters for this particular firearm? I'm excited about being able to open carry while fishing, and possibly more places with this new Florida bill.

Quote Originally Posted by dakeypoo View Post
    I recently purchased the Springfield XDM Compact and I love it. I just learned that in the state of Florida, it is legal for me to open carry while fishing, hunting, or camping, AND while going to and from these activities. I've been doing a good bit of kayak fishing, and carry my Micro Desert Eagle on the boat in a container. Now that I have discovered I can open carry, I'm searching for a good open carry holster with either a strap or a button to hold the gun in so it won't have a chance of falling out unless I tell it to. Does anyone have any experience with holsters for this particular firearm? I'm excited about being able to open carry while fishing, and possibly more places with this new Florida bill.
    That's interesting. Do you have a link or source for the open carry info?
    When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    I think the standard holster would be the Blackhawk Serpa. It has a passive retention system with a trigger finger deactivating the lock as you draw it. Ive use one for my M9 when I deploy, and for my Glocks when I OC back in the states.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsMyRight2 View Post
    That's interesting. Do you have a link or source for the open carry info?
    Florida Statute 790.25, section (3), paragraph h: (3)

(3) LAWFUL USES.—The provisions of ss. 790.053 and 790.06 do not apply in the following instances, and, despite such sections, it is lawful for the following persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes:

(h) A person engaged in fishing, camping, or lawful hunting or going to or returning from a fishing, camping, or lawful hunting expedition;

Today, many cities had an open carry fishing day. I wanted to attend the one in Jacksonville, but I had to work.

Here is the website for the Open Carry event.

http://www.meetup.com/Florida-Open-Carry/

I would be careful about the going to and from provision in the law. I wouldn't consider stopping at a gas station or store to get supplies as part of going to and from. I would conceal, but only openly carry while driving and while engaged in the activity.

I'd like to stay away from the Serpa. I've read about guns getting stuck due to debris or getting stuck if you accidentally put one in backwards. Maybe something with a belt that clips?

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    I'd like to stay away from the Serpa. I've read about guns getting stuck due to debris or getting stuck if you accidentally put one in backwards. Maybe something with a belt that clips?

Never heard of that. Myself and my teammates have carried them in iraq and Afghanistan for a while now without any problem.

I've never heard of a first hand account of these things happening. Only speculation and that it happened to a friend of a friend of a friend.
    I've never had a problem with mine.

Not exactly sure how you would put it in backwards.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post
    I've never heard of a first hand account of these things happening. Only speculation and that it happened to a friend of a friend of a friend.
    I've never had a problem with mine.

Not exactly sure how you would put it in backwards.
    Some guys on the XD forums had some issues. Of course, you never know...

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/sa-xd-x...nally-did.html

TCT
    You can screw up anything if you try hard enough.

I have had no problems with my Blackhawk level 2 Serpa.

Highly recommended.

I gave in and bought the Serpa. I just need to apply some velcro so it fits snug. We'll see how it performs.

Links