Belts, Belts, Belts.... Help - Page 2

Belts, Belts, Belts.... Help

This is a discussion on Belts, Belts, Belts.... Help within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought a wilderness instructor belt in 1995 or 96. It has held my BHP, 1911's, Glocks, and now my LCR. Every day. Fast forward ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Belts, Belts, Belts.... Help

I bought a wilderness instructor belt in 1995 or 96. It has held my BHP, 1911's, Glocks, and now my LCR. Every day. Fast forward 15 years to 2011 and it isjust now fraying on the velcro but the belt is still in great shape and even replacing the Velcro will be cheap. I can't say enough good things about this belt.

cj
    I've gotten a lot of belts to try out, but have ended up mostly using the leather 5.11 line. They're plenty sturdy enough, are nice enough for dressing up a bit, but can also serve as a more casual belt. The biggest issue I've had is the dye wearing off at friction spots, but I've been able to touch those up. I've heard some people experience the layers splitting, but haven't run into that yet, but good deals seem fairly frequent on them, and I've managed to get a few stockpiled up for the time being.

Of course, for a little more expense, some of the fantastic makers mentioned above would be able to provide you with a lifetime belt that is much less likely to split or have the dye rub off.

I purchased, and received last week, a Bridle Leather Belt from Bullhide Belts. I purchased the 1-1/2" width, which fits the belt loops on all of my pants just fine, it is about 3/16" thick of one piece of leather. Once I have the opportunity to take a few photos I will do so and post them.
    Be Good and you will be lonesome. - Mark Twain

Rule #9: Never go anywhere without a knife. - Leroy Jethro Gibbs

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    It is very hard to go wrong with one of these:

http://www.thebeltman.net/

I bought a "Quick Ship Belt" last year (due to unforeseen weight gain) and am still wearing it everyday. Outstanding quality, fast delivery, hard-wearing, classic looks, and it still looks great. It did not facilitate any weight loss though.

I have had a custom made belt from a very top maker, and it was nice at twice the price, but alas..................
    Been wearing the Beltman for a couple years now and have not had a single issue. The belts still look as good as the day I purchased them.
    ...T. Ray

I like gun belts that are reinforced with polymer inserts/stiffners. This allows the belt to be stiff without the bulk of thick or double leather.

My everyday leather belt (jeans, dockers and dress slacks) is a black Aker brand 1-1/2 belt (fits all belt loops and the nickle belt loop dresses it up):
    http://www.galls.com/style.html?asso...og&style=LP224

Another good choice for a 1-1/2" belt, but I do not wear it anymore due to loosing weight is:
    http://looperlawenforcement.com/loop...ster-belt.html

My new belt that I just ordered on 1/13/11 and will wear with BDU's, camping, at the range and with jeans (best price I found was Optics Planet):
    http://www.opticsplanet.net/instruct...ert-34-41.html
    http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Ins...lt,96,1384.htm
    Springfield XDM 40cal
    Safariland Double Magazine Duty Pouch
    High Noon "Slide Guard" Holster - Leather (OWB)
    BladeTech "Eclipse" Holster - Kydex (OWB)
    Aker Reinforced Gun Belt (Leather & Polymer)
    Wilderness Tactical/Operator Belt (Kydex Reinforced)

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Get horsehide and the stiffener. Great belt.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I have the basket weave 5.11 leather belt. They were free will pants a couple years back, LAPoliceGear.com. I don't need a gun belt, I pocket carry or IWB. So, nothing to hold up. But this was a pretty nice belt and liked the stiffer belt after I tried it. So that is my recomendation they list for about $40.
    PT145, CZ52, PM for carry. Lots of others to look at

I've been very happy with my Comp-Tac 1.5" belt. It works well, and they have a fast turn around time.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

+1 for Al at A&G. 1.5'' horsehide is my go-to.
    "Eternal Vigilance is the Price of Liberty"
    -Wendell Phillips

Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap nor easy conquest.
    -The Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775

I wear a 1.5" bullhide A&G Leather (forum sponser) belt. It was the first (and so far only) gun belt I've purchased, and I'm extremely happy with it.

i've bought 3 belts from cabelas and have not been disappointed especially the price just use them mainly for work and cc but can't complain

Cool

I have a belt from Beltman and am very pleased. I also have a belt from Cross Breed and am equally satisfied. I much prefer leather over synthetic materials.

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/Gu...%2cProductName
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Two recomendations...

First get 1.25" belts. The width helps and fits jeans and even most dress pants. 1" is too narrow and the .25 makes a big difference.
    Secondly, it doesn't matter who makes it but it does matter how stiff the belt is. It doesn't have to have the label "gun belt" to work but it does have to be stiff to work and that's why you read about two layers and even a plastic insert working. I have two belts from AKJ Concealco. The cost about $80. one has a plastic liner, the other is just two layers and it's thick. One is black w/silver buckle, the other brown with brass for casual.

I've learned that they do make a very significant difference wtih heavy guns but not so noticeable with polymer lightweights. Still, having had them I would hate to go back to regular belts. Most fashion belts are intentionaly soft. And my gunbelts have outlasted any Wally World type belt by a margin. I've had my black lined belt for going on 6 years and it still looks good, hasn't cracked, etc. I've never gotten that mileage out of any other belt.

I've tried regular "work belts' and one worked okay but still nothing like what I have.

I've wanted to try the wilderness 5 stitch for use with jeans but I'm not sure how I'll like the velcro on the end.

the Beltman, A&G (above) AKJ Concealco are all good sources. I wouldn't pay a dime over $80 becasue at that price point more money doesn't really buy you any more belt.

Biggest challenge in buying on-line is making sure you measure correctly. Follow the websites instructions and then measure again and again to be sure you have it right. If you wear IWB you'll want to add 1 inch to whatever your measurement would be otherwise. If you have a choice of "7" holes versus 5, ALWAYS get the 7; it gives you more versatility.

The combination of a really good belt plus a good quality leather holsters is one of the true simple pleasures in life. I'm not trying to "suck" you into the culture :) but after many years I finally tried it and it was worth the money in the long run. I've got a LOT of mileage on my two. they're all I wear wether carrying or not.

One last point. If you have a heavy gun then the plastic inserts are good but they can make for a tight fit in the belt looks of dress pants. It can also be a tight fit for some holster loops or mag carrier loops. For all steel 1911's they're the way to go. For lightweight polymer guns just two good leather layers is ideal.

Gideon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links