Holster induced sciatica (hip pain)? - Page 2

Holster induced sciatica (hip pain)?

This is a discussion on Holster induced sciatica (hip pain)? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ksholder I too wear suspenders, but at what age are they a fashion statement (unless nice silk suspenders with a suit)? Do ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Holster induced sciatica (hip pain)?

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    I too wear suspenders, but at what age are they a fashion statement (unless nice silk suspenders with a suit)? Do a search for perry suspenders, there was a thread a few months back that covers them. You need a belt, but the suspenders clip to the belt and don't damage your pants.
    Suspenders make a world of difference.So many styles to choose from and they hold everything up.No sagging on one side or lopsided feeling.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Switching to AIWB helped my back pain a lot. Suspenders are also a good idea.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

I injured my lower back 2 (L-5 & S1) months ago. Now wearing my gun (IWB) flares up the pain within minutes. Some days even tightening my belt hurts.

I'm exploring anything and everything from fanny packs to compression shirts to pocket carry.
    If handguns cause crime, mine are deffective - Ted Nugent

Perry suspenders make it a lot easier for me to carry- either IWB or OWB. When used with a good belt it seems to "spread" the load out and helps out with my hip/back problems.

I have pretty much stopped carrying IWB due to the sciatia issues I have.
    When I carried IWB, it was with a CrossBreed SuperTuck at 3:30 or so.
    OWB doesn't pose a problem for me.

Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are cunning and you sleep with your mouth open.

Funny you brought this topic up. I have been dealing with sciatica L5/S1 for over 2 years now. Tried all standard treatments (PT/Chiro/Epidurals/Steroid nerve blocks). I was able to deal with the pain until early December and now the pain is so bad, I am almost bedridden. Been out of work since then and scheduled for surgery (microdiscetomy on both discs) in 10 days. I will be selling most of my IWB rigs shortly and sticking with pocket carry (limits size), OWB right side, or AIWB. Sciatic pain can be so bad it will bring you right to the floor.

I have two of the best IWB holsters made, a Super Tuck from Crossbreed, and CTAC holsters from Com-Tac. Nothing hides a pistol better than a good belt and a well made IWB holster. I have carried XD9sc and service size in CTAC holsters. For a year I carried a Browning Hi-Power in the Super Tuck.

I am a lefty and two years ago I developed a severe back and leg pain on the right side. I hated to give up on the IWB so I bought a Kahr CW9 (a lighter pistol) and a CTAC. No go, to much pain. I can not wear IWB holsters even with much larger waist sizes. I have dropped enough weight to change from a loose size 36, to a loose size 34 pant.

If I carry OWB with a JIT or Pancake holster no problem. Pocket carry no problem. I have Com-Tac paddle holsters for the XD pistols, the Hi-powers and the Kahr pistols. They are very comfortable and wonderful ranges holsters. They do not conceal well under a shirt or sweater.

I wonder if a well made Avenger or Pancake style holster will carry closer than the Don Hume factory made JIT or Pancake I am currently using? I am searching for a easy to wear OWB holster that conceals well under a sweater, jacket or sports coat.

Sorry for your pain,

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    I am curious if anyone else has had this. My edc was an IWB for several months. I developed some deep hip pain - and almost a sciatica like pain down the leg.

I switched to an OWB, and spent several 8 hour shifts at the ski hill without any CC. It magically went away.

Are there any positions of carry that seem to aggravate this? Anyone else have this happen to them?

I dearly loved the IWB, it was so comfy and sleek and convienient.

(now I must dig up the skiing and carrying thread for some tips)
    Sadly, I have experienced the same thing. Now I have to buy more holsters.

Dang it.

IWB REALLY sets my sciatica off. The pressure on the hip is excrutiating after about one to two hours of carrying. I now carry exclusively in OWB or in a shoulder holster. I'd further report that crossdraw works very well as it requires less torsion from the spine to draw.

Hope you find something that works well for you!
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

I'm right there with you on the back pain caused by carrying. I've noticed that I am feeling much better since getting a Crossbreed Supertuck a couple months ago. It must be that the clips are spread so far out, evenly distributing the weight of my 1911. This holster is extremely comfortable!

I also carry in a shoulder rig, which is by far most comfortable for me.....but not always practical.

VIP Member
    When the muzzle of my 1911 is nestled in the "sweet spot" while carrying IWB I get sciatic pain. Carrying the Glock 36 in the same location IWB doesn't do it. For me it's the pressure at that sciatic channel that does it with the longer barreled gun.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by orangehole View Post
    Funny you brought this topic up. I have been dealing with sciatica L5/S1 for over 2 years now. Tried all standard treatments (PT/Chiro/Epidurals/Steroid nerve blocks). I was able to deal with the pain until early December and now the pain is so bad, I am almost bedridden. Been out of work since then and scheduled for surgery (microdiscetomy on both discs) in 10 days. I will be selling most of my IWB rigs shortly and sticking with pocket carry (limits size), OWB right side, or AIWB. Sciatic pain can be so bad it will bring you right to the floor.
    Been there, done that word for word. Workers comp. I went 2 years doing "pain management" and PT (same as you). Finally went to a neurosurgeon and imagine the irritation I felt when I overheard him say (while reviewing my MRIs down the hall) "Why hasn't anyone taken care of this yet?" Literally wheeled into the hospital for surgery, walked out pain free 4 hours later - still going strong after 2 years. Ironic thing was it cost less for the surgery than all the "pain management" combined. Still a bit cranky with Pinnacol.

Anyhow - back on topic.

I doubt the method of carry is the source of the problem. It is aggravating a pre-existing condition. I carry IWB 3:30 - 4:30, and a full mag on the opposite hip as counter balance. I still have to have a "pad" on my weak side hip between my pants and hip because the belt line pushes on the hip bone and causes pain and numbness in that area. The only other problem I have is extended road trips where the dove tail digs into my kidney.

Wardrobe change and proper belt are needed for carry. No other way around it. Being conscious about posture helps (don't let yourself slouch or list to the carry side).

I have found the best method of setting up an IWB rig is to place the weapon and holster IWB with out the belt clips, move it around to where it is most comfortable, look in a mirror or take a picture of where the belt line crosses the holster, then set the belt clips to match up.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by orangehole View Post
    I'm sorry to hear about your (and everybody else's) pain. I totally understand about wanting to be bedridden - it's that bad.

Best luck with your surgery.

One thing that doesn't quite make sense to me - why IWB seems to flare up sciatica and OWB doesn't? It's the same gun, same weight, same belt, same position, etc. ...and, yet, IWB can get untolerable. OWB actually seem to have a smaller "footprint" than IWB (at least the wide holsters -MTAC, VM2- that I use).
    If handguns cause crime, mine are deffective - Ted Nugent

Quote Originally Posted by greenLED View Post
    One thing that doesn't quite make sense to me - why IWB seems to flare up sciatica and OWB doesn't? It's the same gun, same weight, same belt, same position, etc. ...and, yet, IWB can get untolerable. OWB actually seem to have a smaller "footprint" than IWB (at least the wide holsters -MTAC, VM2- that I use).
    It's the hard pressure of the holster directly pressed against your side that aggravates a previous condition. OWB lets the gun hang from the belt, while IWB makes the belt press the holster in painfully. After a while, the pressure on the femur and/or muscles in that area cause strain and tension that "flares up" the sciatica in response. It sucks. I cannot in good conscience recommend it.
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Quote Originally Posted by greenLED View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMonk View Post
    It's the hard pressure of the holster directly pressed against your side that aggravates a previous condition. OWB lets the gun hang from the belt, while IWB makes the belt press the holster in painfully. After a while, the pressure on the femur and/or muscles in that area cause strain and tension that "flares up" the sciatica in response. It sucks. I cannot in good conscience recommend it.
    What EvilMonk said. During the last 3 months when I had my issues, I could lightly press on the muscle within 3" of my L5/S1 on the left side and it would nearly put me on the floor.

Hopefully your Dr. has good experience doing these, and you will be good to go real quick. Take lots of walks afterward (that was my only PT recommendations after surgery).
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I have been experiencing pain myself when carrying IWB lately. Mainly when I carry my RIA 1911 though. Guess it is the longer barrel length and the weight that sets it off. Even had it happen today with my Smith snubbie.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links