Holster induced sciatica (hip pain)?

This is a discussion on Holster induced sciatica (hip pain)? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am curious if anyone else has had this. My edc was an IWB for several months. I developed some deep hip pain - and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Holster induced sciatica (hip pain)?

Distinguished Member

I am curious if anyone else has had this. My edc was an IWB for several months. I developed some deep hip pain - and almost a sciatica like pain down the leg.

I switched to an OWB, and spent several 8 hour shifts at the ski hill without any CC. It magically went away.

Are there any positions of carry that seem to aggravate this? Anyone else have this happen to them?

I dearly loved the IWB, it was so comfy and sleek and convienient.

(now I must dig up the skiing and carrying thread for some tips)

I've got two bulging discs (L4/5 + L5/S1) so I've got that sciatic pain, but mostly under control. Both OBW and IBW at 3, 4 and 5 o'clock are irritants and don't get me started on SOB carry. Two o'clock carry, usually IBW or OBW in a (Yaqui slide style) work well, all day carry with no symptoms. Ice and Alleve in the AM help too. YMMV.

Lol, Cammo Girl, I have spoken about this several times in my posts. Carrying something against your hip like a gun will eventually turn problamatic for everyone. It is common for those of us in LE.

I have found regular trips to the chiropractor helps, also stretching. Sometimes I will carry a pocket gun for a few days or carry at the appendix position.

Senior Moderator
    Sounds like a pinched nerve. There are holsters out there that if placed upon a certain nerve for any amount of time, will tend to make it tender and painfull. Sometimes it takes days or weeks for that to happen. The tension of the belt against the body tend to aggravate it.

Try moving it a bit to the left or right of where it is usally located. An OWB dosent impart the pressure on the nerve like an IWB does.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

TOF
    What size /weight gun are you carrying that causes the problem?
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

Administrator
    When I carry at the waist it's always OWB.

Now that you mention it, after switching from my P9 to my M&P a couple weeks ago, 3:00 IWB, my right leg seems to have a constant numb feeling in it. Kind of like it's asleep without the tingling. I have a hard time crossing it now, even after taking the holster off. I was thinking the added thickness of the M&P might be pressing on something, so I switched back to the P9 a couple days ago the leg is almost back to normal. I guess I need to make some adjustments here.

Senior Moderator
    Making sure the weight of the gun and holster is evenly and widely distributed will also help as well as trying to even out the weight by adding something on the other side (magazines). If it's just hanging there and pressing on one spot, yeah, you're going to have some problems eventually... What kind of IWB holster were you using?

VIP Member
    Hello 'cammo girl',
    I suffer from a neurological condition that causes pain in the extremities with secondary pain in L5/S1. Incidentally, that’s where we’ll all eventually have back pain, as it’s the highest load bearing pressure point of the spine. Anyway, aside from occasional class-II meds I alternate from IWB/OWB to a shoulder carry. In fact, I’m looking at a lighter carry gun for those more sensitive days. Just’ waiting to see if Glock introduces a .40 single-stack next week.

Regards,
    Dan
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Distinguished Member
    My gun was a G19 for a long time then switched to a Sig P239 .40 (yes heavy, but a nice solid shooter).

The holster is a knockoff of the Milt Sparks Summer Special, inside at a cant with two loops close together.

I have a proper gun belt made by a local guneatherworks person. It is 1.5 inches thick. I wear a single mag on the opposite side.

Sometimes fairly high rise levi 501 or 505's, or Wrangler Ruff Wear Utility cargos. Or lower rise fashion jeans.

Is there an inside the waistband that is less prone to this? Lima, I have considered getting one of the Regulator holsters you praise so highly - or going with a shoulder holster as an option. (or go with a New York reload on the opposite side to balance? :)

It's nice to hear this is just not a figment of my imagination or body quirk.

As mentioned above, go see a chiropractor and get him to make sure everything is straight to start with. After that, assuming you wear some king of cover shirt, etc, I'd recommend suspenders. I wear them under my cover shirt, as I'm still a little young to use them as a fashion statement. This will shift more of the weight to your shoulders where you're not likely to notice it nearly as much. If you ever look at any pics of the old military LCE/LBE, there's a reason it had suspenders with it. Your hips just are not meant for the weight, and that will cause pulling on your spine.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

Distinguished Member
    I had not even considered suspenders. It would certainly help the problem.

Again, thanks for the input. All good ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    .... Carrying something against your hip like a gun will eventually turn problamatic for everyone. .......

Yeah man, I used to carry a 4" x 7" Day Timer (like a large wallet, basically) in my back pocket all the time. I started having lots of pains, then started carrying the Day Timer book in suit pocket or briefcase. Pains disappeared.
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MSteve View Post
    I'd recommend suspenders. I wear them under my cover shirt, as I'm still a little young to use them as a fashion statement.
    I too wear suspenders, but at what age are they a fashion statement (unless nice silk suspenders with a suit)? Do a search for perry suspenders, there was a thread a few months back that covers them. You need a belt, but the suspenders clip to the belt and don't damage your pants.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

You might try appendix IWB.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links