Crossbreed does it again

This is a discussion on Crossbreed does it again within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been carrying my 1911 Government Model in a Crossbreed Super Tuck for about a year now. I noticed a crack in the kydex the ...

Thread: Crossbreed does it again

Crossbreed does it again

I've been carrying my 1911 Government Model in a Crossbreed Super Tuck for about a year now. I noticed a crack in the kydex the other day and got in touch with Marty over at CB. He asked me to hustle that thing back to him so they could rebuild it for me.

9 days later I am wearing it again, brand new kydex and clips. Once again, my full sized 1911 is nearly levitating on my belt. (not my experience with my backup owb rig).

The world would be a better place if every company had the same customer focus as CrossBreed. Come to think of it, the world is a better place because they are in business.

Thanks Marty and everybody cutting leather and molding kydex over there at CrossBreed!

2. Remove Ads

I've had a similar experience with Crossbreed. 3 thumbs up if I had them.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

They couldn't have just sent you the new kydex and hardware?
    Not bashing CB, just wondering why they didn't do this so you could keep wearing the holster without any down time.

I am sure I am not qualified to meet their quality expectations. I bet they do the work so that anybody who stumbles across a CB holster in the wild will find a product manufactured to their standards.

The Kydex is riveted to the leather. No way to remove and reinstall without a machine to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    They couldn't have just sent you the new kydex and hardware?
    Not bashing CB, just wondering why they didn't do this so you could keep wearing the holster without any down time.
    Its the best way to make sure it is done right, to their specs. Some on this forum could probably do it with no problem, but [personally I'd wind up with a mess and a new holster that I would have to purchase afterwards.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Good points.
    I used to be a sheetmetal worker and figured the rivets could be drilled out and replaced with those ones that screw together, but yeah, they probably don''t want someone messing with their holster while it still says CB. I've read a few posts recently on kydex cracking... maybe they should start making them all like that holster where you simply change out the kydex for whichever gun you are carrying. I don't recall the manufacturer right now. Seems like a better way all around if it could easily be changed/replaced.

The holster with removable Kydex shell is the MTAC from Comptac. They use screws to fasten the Kydex to the leather

Good points.
    I used to be a sheetmetal worker and figured the rivets could be drilled out and replaced with those ones that screw together, but yeah, they probably don''t want someone messing with their holster while it still says CB. I've read a few posts recently on kydex cracking... maybe they should start making them all like that holster where you simply change out the kydex for whichever gun you are carrying. I don't recall the manufacturer right now. Seems like a better way all around if it could easily be changed/replaced.

PA, I would rather have a holster that is made for one gun, which is what Mark does well. Comp-Tac builds one with shells that can be changed. I have heard many good things about them as well, but I would rather have one holster for one gun.

Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    The holster with removable Kydex shell is the MTAC from Comptac. They use screws to fasten the Kydex to the leather
    Thanks. That was bugging me that I couldn't remember.

I didn't mean to imply that you should only have one holster for a few guns, although economically speaking it makes sense. Especially if you really like that style. I just meant that I really like the idea of "bolt on" kydex. It makes a lot of sense. Dumb analogy, but how would you like it if every time you got a flat tire you had to take your car back to the dealer because they had a proprietary lug wrench and were the only ones who could change the tire according to dealer specs? Being able to replace a holster part subject to cracking by yourself makes a lot of sense to me. You heard it here first, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    But screws come loose too often.
    If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand the answer.
    Walther PPS 40, Glock 23, Smith & Wesson M&P 40.

Blue Locktite.

Thanks. That was bugging me that I couldn't remember.

I didn't mean to imply that you should only have one holster for a few guns, although economically speaking it makes sense. Especially if you really like that style. I just meant that I really like the idea of "bolt on" kydex. It makes a lot of sense. Dumb analogy, but how would you like it if every time you got a flat tire you had to take your car back to the dealer because they had a proprietary lug wrench and were the only ones who could change the tire according to dealer specs...
    That day is coming sooner than you want to think.

I make my own version of the CB (they do not make one for my carry). That and I am partial to full barrel coverage, not 3/4.

Easy enough to do if you take the time to learn and buy the components. On my third shell and second leather backing. I've lost count of replaced belt clips. I keep spares at home and in my vehicles.

Knifekits.com and Tandy Leather Co. and you are good to go.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Links