Tell me about the smart carry please

This is a discussion on Tell me about the smart carry please within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was thinking of one of these for when I'm in gym shorts or the like. What type of guns carry well in these? I ...

Thread: Tell me about the smart carry please

Tell me about the smart carry please

I was thinking of one of these for when I'm in gym shorts or the like. What type of guns carry well in these? I have a S&W 640 and 340,would the 640 carry well in one of these and do they fit the gun snugly enough to ensure it doesn't come out?
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Gravity is the only retention in a smart carry. It depends on the what pants you are wearing over it as to how well it stays put. Anything with a belt or a decent waistband will keep it firmly in place. I would not do a cart wheel using it with my sweatpants. Also, I don't like to run with it for a different reason, it can slap around a little.

Not familiar with the S&W 640, but depending upon your body shape and how high you wear your pants (at the waist line or down low on the hips) most common guns can be carried just fine. As phreddy pointed out, a belt or relatively tight, firm pants will keep the gun holstered with most any activity, but in floppy pants like gym shorts or sweat pants the gun can bounce around when running, or might even come out in strenuous activity.

I'd say it's well worth trying one out and seeing how it works for you.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

Lots of users here in Florida. My 442 fits fine.

Smart Carry

I carry a Kimber Pro Carry II in mine and have carried bigger guns that that. I love mine and I have never had an issue with retention. Its well made and holds quite a bit of weight.
    My other Kahr is a Kimber.

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    Gravity is the only retention in a smart carry. It depends on the what pants you are wearing over it as to how well it stays put. Anything with a belt or a decent waistband will keep it firmly in place. I would not do a cart wheel using it with my sweatpants. Also, I don't like to run with it for a different reason, it can slap around a little.
    yikes no need for slapping in that area..

I have one and it works fine for light to medium physical activity in sweats... if you are going to run with it or do jumping jacks you can slide it over a bit so it is resting more against your thigh than those more sensitive areas. Of course, it works better for a little mouse gun than a full size 1911...
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

I have a Smart Carry, and it fits to a T. When I'm wearing jeans, and out and about, it's GREAT!! But if you are a bit overweight as I am, and sitting down, I find it difficult to "access" the 642, with much difficulty, but that's not the fault of the holster. I'm sure if I got rid of about 20# it would help the situation. But as the other posters have indicated, it's a great investment, and well worth the $$$.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    In dress clothes (suits or slacks) the Smart Carry is the way to go. I carry my S&W342, Glock 26 and Kel-Tec P3AT in the same model SC.

I've carried a Glock 19 and a Glock 26 in mine - the Smartcarry is not limited to mouse guns. Loose fitting sweats should be no issue. Just remember that the straps go around your hips, not your waist.

I find it more comfortable to wear mine at 11 o'clock, with the bottom of the grip centered on the zipper line. This also eliminates any potential slapping if you're going to get involved in strenuous physical activity. Works great with pleated pants, but also works with flat front as well.

Go ahead and try it - if you don't like it you can get a refund (minus the shipping).

PS - Draw is quicker (and you look neater) if you tuck your shirt in (behind the holster) - though that might look a bit weird in sweats!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

My 340pd is the perfect smartcarry gun.
    Except for the recoil.
    You should not have any special fondness for a particular weapon, or anything else, for that matter
    Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings

I have one and really did not like it. It made me feel a little too crowded in certain areas. I do understand that some people do like them though.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    buy one buy one buy one!!! They fit the need of deep carry or carry with 'active' clothes on like running shorts, running pants etc. I use one often for that purpose. the holster is worth the money. I even used it one time while standing up in a wedding...I spun it to my strong side and tucked my tux in...worked great...putting a jframe, kahr, or anything that use,and you forget it is there....when I carry my kimber UCII, the beavertail grip safety does poke into my stomach when sitting.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

I've got one. I like it. I bought a medium-sized one as I initially carried a Commander length 1911 in it. Now the Sig P220 Carry fits in it just the same. Actually, the Sig feels better because of no beavertail or cocked hammer digging into my gut.

For me it can only be worn with loose-fitting pants such as pleated dress pants, carpenter jeans, cargo pants/shorts, or sweatpants. Flat front slacks or straight leg jeans are a no go. YMMV.

I can also carry the SP-101 in it by using a safety pin to shorten the holster length and get proper carry height for the smaller gun.

As I see it, the SmartCarry is trade-off of accessibility for conceal-ability. It is a great solution when you can not carry OWB or IWB in a more quickly accessible holster.

I carry either a S&W 637 or Kahr P9 in my small size SmartCarry.

For carrying when you can't wear a cover garment or are wearing pants that won't support a conventional holster at the waist, you can't beat the SmartCarry - it works better than you would expect. It is a handy thing to have in your bag of tricks.
    The Founders Got It Right - Back To The Constitution
    NRA (Life) - GOA (Life) - NAGR - GOSC (Life)

Links