Anyone else have to tighten Comptac holsters?

This is a discussion on Anyone else have to tighten Comptac holsters? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have 2 comptac holsters. 1 Mtac and 1 OWB. Does anyone else have to tighten the screws on the periodically to keep them from ...

Thread: Anyone else have to tighten Comptac holsters?

Anyone else have to tighten Comptac holsters?

I have 2 comptac holsters. 1 Mtac and 1 OWB. Does anyone else have to tighten the screws on the periodically to keep them from coming apart? I have had to do the several times on my MTAC when the belt clip came off. Just recently when I took my gun out of my OWB holster one set of hardware fell on the floor.

2. Remove Ads

That's the reason they recommend that you use a dab of blue loctite on the screws.

Never knew that. And the loctite will still enable you to tighten if you want? You would think that when the assemble the holsters they would do add that at the factory if that is what is needed.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If you have to re-tighten, you have to reapply the Locktite. Basically, it's a glue. Nail polish will work also.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    I try to check my carry gear - belts, holsters, mag carriers, etc - once a week, at least. It only takes a minute to give everything a quick once over. I would much rather take two minutes to tighten screws than to loose my gun and gear in public. Worse, have it malfunction in a SHTF situation.

I say if you spend five minutes checking your EDC, you can spend one minute checking what it rides in.

+1 on the blue loctite.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Quote Originally Posted by davidw View Post
    Never knew that. And the loctite will still enable you to tighten if you want? You would think that when the assemble the holsters they would do add that at the factory if that is what is needed.
    The reason they don't at the factory is that many people tweak the holster to fit personal needs after they receive it so it would be wasted. As answered above, new loctite after each adjustment.

Blue allows you to adjust and reapply loctite. The red is for permanent applications. Do NOT use the red.
    Last edited by NC Bullseye; January 19th, 2011 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Added color of loctite note

I tighten mine every once in awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post

I say if you spend five minutes checking your EDC, you can spend one minute checking what it rides in.
    I'm supposed to check my EDC too?

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    You seem to misunderstand. Not all firearms of the same model have exactly the same dimensions, mostly due to various finishes, and not all end users want the same degree of tightness in their rigs. Loctiting the screws in place at the factory would result in just one fit, and one degree of tightness. If the user breaks it loose, the whole area must be degreased, and new Loctite applied. So, it is best for the maker to not Loctite during manufacture.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I'm supposed to check my EDC too?
    You are joking, right?

I don't use any thread lockers on my MTAC but I periodically run a allen wrench over the hardware on it. Holsters are just like any other piece of equipment that periodic maintenance can avert a tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    If you have to re-tighten, you have to reapply the Locktite. Basically, it's a glue. Nail polish will work also.
    +1 to OldVet.
    I prefer to use clear nail polish. Too much loctite can be hard to break. It's not too bad with hex-head screws, but can really cause problems with slotted or phillips.
    The Second Amendment is clear, concise, and not open to interpretation.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    You seem to misunderstand. Not all firearms of the same model have exactly the same dimensions, mostly due to various finishes, and not all end users want the same degree of tightness in their rigs. Loctiting the screws in place at the factory would result in just one fit, and one degree of tightness. If the user breaks it loose, the whole area must be degreased, and new Loctite applied. So, it is best for the maker to not Loctite during manufacture.
    The leather backing also breaks in on the MTAC as you wear it with the gun in the holster, that too makes it unnecessary to loctite it at the factory.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    You are joking, right?
    Yes, I was joking :)

Links