My foray into holster making

This is a discussion on My foray into holster making within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've seen a few other members post holster of their own make, so it inspired me to take a shot at it my self. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My foray into holster making

My foray into holster making

I've seen a few other members post holster of their own make, so it inspired me to take a shot at it my self.

I bought everything that I need from Tandy Leather's online site...

The first picture you see is my amateur rendition of a pancake holster for my j-frame.

I discovered that I had too much leather above the cylinder, impeding the proper egress; so the second photo shows me carrying, with a bit of the leather removed above the cylinder...

The holster and pistol look oddly out of proportion because I'm a real small guy

All in all, I'm rather pleased with myself and looking forward to the next one.

I'll post new pics after I get this one dyed; I messed up on some of the stitching, but it's going to be black, so I don't think that it will show up too bad.

ETA: pictures taken and attached with my BlackBerry; not so good, but you get the idea
    Attached Images
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Very nice for a first try, I like the way you have boned the leather around the trigger guard, adds a bit of extra retention.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Not bad first holster. Each holster you do you will learn something.

I would suggest instead of the hand stitching awl go with a 1, 3 and 4 prong chisel tip punch, pound-o-board and hammer to punch the holes. Then hand stitch from there.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Quote Originally Posted by MNBurl View Post
    Not bad first holster. Each holster you do you will learn something.

I would suggest instead of the hand stitching awl go with a 1, 3 and 4 prong chisel tip punch, pound-o-board and hammer to punch the holes. Then hand stitch from there.
    The punches are next on my purchase list. I must confess that I drilled the holes with a Dremel, not a stitching awl

I ran the stitching groove on both sides of the holster, then marked with a stitching wheel. You can obviously see that I missed the groove a couple of times.

I'm pleased with it, though. I'm not that handy with these kind of projects.

It's gonna get dyed, today, but I still have to get some more supplies and burnish the edges.

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

That is very good for a first try, my first few were not even close to that nice.

+1 on the chisel punch, and try only grooving on the front side.

Nice job. I love holster making. One of the best resources I have found is leatherworker.net. They have a forum specific to holster making. It is really good. I have been making holsters for a few years now. If you have any questions or need any help just give me a PM.
    Jeff
    NRA Life Member

Just like Haystacker said drop me a PM or email if you have questions.

Any hard and smooth item can work to burnish the edges. I have a dowel rod in a drill press and deer antler that works great.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Thanks for the comments

Senior Member Array bigo5552000's Avatar
    looks great! keep up the good work! I agree with the chisel that MNBurl suggested!
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."-Einstein

As far as good karma goes - I like how you established makers help the new guy out. Very cool!
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Haystacker View Post
    Nice job. I love holster making. One of the best resources I have found is leatherworker.net. They have a forum specific to holster making. It is really good. I have been making holsters for a few years now. If you have any questions or need any help just give me a PM.
    Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by MNBurl View Post
    Just like Haystacker said drop me a PM or email if you have questions.

Any hard and smooth item can work to burnish the edges. I have a dowel rod in a drill press and deer antler that works great.
    Quote Originally Posted by semperfi.45 View Post
    As far as good karma goes - I like how you established makers help the new guy out. Very cool!

^^^^^^^^^This is what separates DC from the others.

You gotta love this place
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by semperfi.45 View Post
    I was helped out by holster makers here on DC when I started out and there is lots of room for good holster leather in the community.
    MNBurl

Most excellent zacii. I really like it.

Something to consider on future projects regarding your stitching. Take a look at other holster designs and you'll see a double row of stitching at stress points and sometimes around the belt slots. For example, use a double row of stitching around the pocket of the holster, along the cylinder, trigger guard and bottom length of the barrel. Again, these are the stress points of the leather where the gun will try to pull and separate the top layer of leather from the bottom layer.

It also tends to give it a more finished and appealing look as well as having a functional effect of reinforcing the stress points.

And I am by no means an artist or have ever attempted to work with leather, let alone build a holster. I think you have an awesome holster there.

Not criticizing your work. Just making some observations to consider.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I've got some real good input on holster making from a few different members on the forum. Everyone is anxious to help out; they've been real helpful.

Thanks for the points, Bark'n. I have considered double stitching, but I don't have the patience right now

I'm really just experimenting with different patterns. I've already discovered some flaws in this design that need to be dealt with. Once I'm comfortable with a pattern, and once I'm able to make straight stitching holes , I'll try some double stitching, etc.

Listen to MNBurl. I have had the good fortune to purchase holsters from him. Just purchased another one yesterday and I can't wait. He keeps getting better all the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links