New Glock 30 help with Concealed carry

This is a discussion on New Glock 30 help with Concealed carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I purchased a Glock 30 today. It seems to be really heavy when carrying it. I want to use IWB carry. I am using one ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Glock 30 help with Concealed carry

I purchased a Glock 30 today. It seems to be really heavy when carrying it. I want to use IWB carry. I am using one today that clips on jeans and belt. I wore it for about 2 hours and my back is quite sore. Will I eventually get used to it? Does the type of IWB holster make a difference?

The kind of belt makes a big difference, what kind of belt are you using?

I have found that I like IWB's with widely spaced loops to help distribute the weight.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

What brand is the holster? Was this your first time carrying a gun?

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Several things can make a difference. Some of them are (in no particular order):

1. Subtle changes in posture when sitting/standing because of this new, unfamiliar weight.
    2. Incorrect belt tightness.
    3. Seating the belt around your hips in a different way than you normally do.

On very rare occasions I'll get a bit of an ache in the lower back, but this is usually the result of wearing the gun *along with* other factors like long periods of sitting/driving where the lower back is strained anyway. If everyday carrying is new to you, then it will probably go away as your body becomes used to this new and unfamiliar 5 lbs you strapped on. You should make an effort to be aware of your posture AND what your back muscles are doing when you *think* you're relaxing. We tend to put our various body parts on autopilot and then forget to monitor them when we make a change.

I'd give it some time, maybe a week or two, and see how it goes.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Try a supertuck. It will distribute the weight better on 2 clips and also the larger area and thicker leather will help distribute the pressure points that tend to become irritating to some.
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

If your gonna carry IWB your pants should be sized accordingly. For me I went up two sizes to make room for the crossbreed supertuck. Also, if your RH try to carry between 3 to 4 o'clock positon. A good gun belt is very important.
    Glock 36 / Crimson Trace LG-436
    Ruger LCP / Crimson Trace LG-431

Try some suspenders. No, really! A set of Perry Suspenders will do wonders.

you need a real holster and a real belt. It will make all the difference.

+ 1 on the SuperTuck

The G30 really isn't a heavy gun, by defensive pistol standards IMO. So, if you're sore already, and really feeling the weight, then you need a better carry rig.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Thanks for all the quick responses. It is the first time I've carried on my belt. Usually pocket carry LCP. I was using an N82 tactical holster on left hip, at about 8 o'clock. I bought LL bean jeans with adjustable waistband to carry which works well. The belt is just run of the mill black old navy belt. Jumpwing you are correct that it is an ache in my lower back. I also wear a suit and tie to work everyday. Do you guys think a shoulder holster would be a good idea?

This is a picture of the holster that a friend gave me to try which is the N82
    Last edited by ericdmd; January 22nd, 2011 at 08:44 PM. Reason: no picture

I am trying again...sorry
    This is the link if no pic is seen
    http://bri-betpolicesupply.com/index...2_37_79_85_843

That holster has one tiny clip, which isn't going to distribute the weight very well. Personally, my favorite IWB for full sized guns is the UBG Canute. http://www.ubgholsters.com/iwb.htm Take a look at how far out the loops are, which helps distribute weight across the belt. Also, I like High Noon stuff for lighter weight guns: http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Prod...waistband.html

Get a gun-belt that is made to be a gun-belt, store bought belts tend to not be able to hold up the weight very well, and cause a variety of problems. A gun-belt is more important than a good holster in my opinion.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

A Glock-30 shouldn't be all that difficult to carry with the correct setup.
    If you prefer an IWB holster, this will work quite well... http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/holster/1A.htm
    If, however, you prefer an OWB holster, this one will hug the body as tightly as the IWB... http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/holster/12.htm

I have several of each of these holsters...you won't be disappointed.

High Noon's Side Guard will also work very well... http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Prod...ide_guard.html

Buy quality holster and a good belt and you won't even notice the weight of the firearm.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Here is an example of one of the most comfortable IWB holsters in the world. Notice the wide spacing on the belt loops which distributes the weight of the gun over a large area. It is the Brommeland Max Con V

There are many others out there, and many of the finest holster makers are members of this forum as well. You can't go wrong with any of our forum members holsters.

If you wear a suit and tie to work everyday, I would also recommend the Deep Concealment Shoulder Holster.

The Deep Concealment Shoulder Holster is a specialty holster worn around the chest on a 5" piece wide elastic band. It has shoulder straps which helps distribute the weight across your entire chest and shoulders. It is easily adjustable without removing it by just grabbing it and giving it a quick shift to reposition the gun if needed. I have worn mine consistently for long 18 and 20 hour days. In fact, I am working on my second one. The nice thing about it is that it's worn under the dress shirt so you don't have to wear a jacket, sport coat or suit jacket over it. A lot of undercover LEO's and Federal Agents who wear dress attire in the office wear them.

The draw is accomplished by unbuttoning one of your shirt buttons and slipping your hand inside to make the draw. One Federal Agent who is a member of the forum makes a "false button" on his dress shirts by removing the button and sewing it permanently on top of the button hole. He then applies an iron on Velcro dot behind the permanently affixed button and the other half of the Velcro dot on the other to the place where the button was originally attached on the shirt. He can draw and fire a double tap on 8 inch steel plates at 7 yards in something like 2.3 seconds or less. Suffice it to say, with sufficient practice you don't lose anymore time drawing with this rig than any other draw from concealment.

I've also worn mine with un-tucked polo shirts. You have to draw from underneath the shirt, but with practice you don't lose much speed either. I don't use the Velcro retention strap (it's removable) as it holds the gun snug enough not to fall out, even with moderate to heavy exercise or exertion. It definitely helps speed up the draw. However, it's there if you wish to use it.

Deep Concealment Shoulder Holster

Another excellent holster is the TRUSS Holster by SpecGear.

http://www.specgear.com/Video/SpecGe...Out%20256K.wmv
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Those are some excellent suggestions, Bark'n. I might also add that a Holster Shirt, by 5.11 is also a versatile piece for a suit and tie. I use one for my G23.

5.11 also makes some very nice shirts to use with the Holster Shirt, with snaps and false buttons for easy access to the pockets.

Another great product, an alternative to belt carry, is the SmartCarry.

Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links