IWB without belt

IWB without belt

This is a discussion on IWB without belt within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anyone tried using a strapless shoulder holster like this http://www.activeprogear.com/234.html as a way to carry IWB (eg, at 4 o'clock) without a belt? silly ...

IWB without belt

Has anyone tried using a strapless shoulder holster like this

http://www.activeprogear.com/234.html

as a way to carry IWB (eg, at 4 o'clock) without a belt?

silly me...I guess I'm thinking of
    - the original belly band
    - DeSantis Elastic Belly band
    - Galco Underwraps belly band
    etc

Are they all about equally good?
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    I'm sure y'all get pretty hot temperatures like we do here in VA, I'm not putting my firearm under my arm pit thats for sure! (Besides, how long would that take to draw?)

I just can't see a shirt holding it in securely, and safely,....let alone comfortable? Just my .02, I don't own one.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

I purchased a belly band a few years ago thinking it would be better than Mexican carry. I actually liked it even less. The band made me hot and I could hear velcro whenever I would bend or twist. I wore it a total of two times before throwing it somewhere.

Give a look at the Remora holster. I have used it with sweat pants and a fairly heavy pistol. Surprisingly, it works very well.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

I've used this Kramer for a long time.
    http://kramerleather.com/productDeta...&categoryID=21
    "A gun is a tool, Marion. No better and no worse than any other tool - an axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." --from "Shane" (Alan Ladd) -1953

Quote Originally Posted by sentioch View Post
    Has anyone tried using a strapless shoulder holster like this

http://www.activeprogear.com/234.html

as a way to carry IWB (eg, at 4 o'clock) without a belt?

silly me...I guess I'm thinking of
    - the original belly band
    - DeSantis Elastic Belly band
    - Galco Underwraps belly band
    etc

Are they all about equally good?
    I used that exact holster so much I wore it out and am now working on my second one. It is very comfortable and can be worn for 18 hours or more.

It's a specialty rig. It certainly isn't for everyone. I can draw from concealment in about 2.6 seconds depending on which type of shirt I'm wearing.

Missouri is a hot humid momma in the summer. Yes your pistol can be dripping after a long day. I prefer to carry my Glock 23 because of the Tenifer finish or my stainless revolvers. Either a Ruger Speed Six or the SP-101. However I have carried a Colt Officers, and Para P-12 and a Ruger LCP. It will hold most any gun from small to large. Just wipe the sweat off at the end of the day and possibly a light coat of CLP. Make sure no moisture migrated to your magazine and ammo.

Washes Okay in the washing machine on gentle cycle, but would be best to probably hand wash. I let mine drip dry or tumble on low heat if you put in something like a pillow case liner where you can zip it shut inside to keep the straps from catching on anything.

It holds the gun tight enough where I don't use the retaining strap on the pistol. It's attached by Velcro and is totally removable.

I have also worn it with an untucked polo shirt, although you have to draw from underneath the shirt which slows the draw a little. The key is to practice with whatever holster you use though so draw times has a direct correlation to how much you practice with it.

It is also easy to adjust it for comfort without removing it by grabbing the whole thing and slightly shifting the gun forward or back. It can be done rather quickly out in the open or you can step in somewhere more private if needed.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodLark View Post
    Give a look at the Remora holster. I have used it with sweat pants and a fairly heavy pistol. Surprisingly, it works very well.

Same here, with gym shorts! Fully loaded Ruger P345. Easily 3 lbs, no problem.

http://www.remoraholsters.com/

The sweat shield it probly gonna help you too, more surface area.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

I picked up a no-name brand belly band holster hoping to wear it around my waist and found it completely unusable-- feels ok standing up, but there's no way I can sit down with 6" of stiff velcro banding around my hips...it makes lots of noise and bulges outward. If I wear it around my chest, then it works, but the feeling of constriction around my lungs is very unpleasant and is not something I could put up with for very long.

I would be interested to know if anybody has had success using a belly band to carry at the waistline while sitting down.

The Remora holster does look like it could be a useful option but I would prefer something that still works with loose fitting pants. The shirt holster is also an option but it worries me that it would jiggle around too much..
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

Links