Got my new Fist model #11- preliminary review for Glock 27

This is a discussion on Got my new Fist model #11- preliminary review for Glock 27 within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I ordered it about three weeks ago. It came in the mail Saturday. The #11 is a combination IWB/ OWB. It has belt slots and ...

Thread: Got my new Fist model #11- preliminary review for Glock 27

Got my new Fist model #11- preliminary review for Glock 27

I ordered it about three weeks ago. It came in the mail Saturday.
    The #11 is a combination IWB/ OWB. It has belt slots and leather loops held with chicago screws for wearing IWB.

The finish is pretty good, I was surprised that the black dye was not all the way down into the bottom of the holster or the mag carrier. Not a big deal, with the gun in the holster the undyed part does not show.

Both the mag carrier and the holster are tight. I mean I wasn't sure I was going to be able to get the gun back out the first time. I remembered reading somewhere about using something to lube the gun. I wiped the gun down with a silicon rag made for wiping down guns. This leaves slight film of silicon on the gun. That and a few pulls in and out helped a little. Then I remembered that someone suggested wrapping the gun in a layer of waxed paper. The wax helps lube and the paper thickness helps relax the leather a little. I wrapped in last night and will check it when I get home.

I was surprised that the belt loops for the IWB mode were not snap on. I guess I assumed they were. Instead I have to thread the belt through the loops everytime I take the holster on or off. This is more of an issue rigtht now because I am still trying to find the sweet spot concealment and comfort wise. If I want to move the holster back behind a belt loop of my pants it requires unthreading and rethreading the belt, while remembering where I wanted it to go. Currently I was using the same belt for my jeans and my dress slacks that I wear to work. I have now purchased a new dress belt for the work slacks since I will not be able to use this holster at work, it's not tuckable.

I have only worn it one day and the comfort seemed just slightly less than the other tuckable IWB that I had been using. This may improve as the holster conforms to me, and I find the best position.

This is the first leather holster that I have purchased that is boned to fit the gun. I like the looks of it and as I said it holds tight.

All in all I am satisfied with the holster and mag carrier.
    The delivery time was excellent.

The fit should be good after I remove the wax paper.
    The finish is OK. The stiching is nice.
    The comfort is less than perfect but that may improve.
    I was expecting pull snaps on the straps but that was never promised by FIST so I can't really fault them on that, it was my misunderstanding.
    The price was very reasonable compared to simular designs by other manufacturers.

2. Remove Ads

One thing I recommend is wrap the unloaded pistol in a plastic bag, like a zip lock. Then stuff the whole thing in the holster. Usually one or two times does the trick. If not,try leaving it overnight and you should be good to go. I build my holsters tight also. This always does the trick.
    NRA Life Member

I have the Fist #7 and a small spot was missed re. dye also. The holster itself is great. I had to wrap my gun is waxed paper for two nights before I could draw it with minimum effort.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Haystacker View Post
    One thing I recommend is wrap the unloaded pistol in a plastic bag, like a zip lock. Then stuff the whole thing in the holster. Usually one or two times does the trick. If not,try leaving it overnight and you should be good to go. I build my holsters tight also. This always does the trick.
    My dad always did that for a new holster or if he is making a new one he uses and zip bag to protect the gun while he forms the holster

I always put a drop of blue loc-tite on Chicago screws and the screws that go through snaps. I prefer screws over snaps. One less thing for me to break.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Update!
    As I said I was surprised when I got the Fist #11 that the IWB leather staps were NOT pull the dot snaps. After doing a little reseach on the Fist site I see that they do offer them as an option. I have now ordered a set for the holster and a set for the mag holder. My mistake ended up costing me a little extra for a second shipping charge, but that's life.
    I decided that since the #11 is a convertable, I might as well give the OWB option a try. I removed the straps and put the holster on the belt.

This is where I learned a few tips that may help others that are newbies, maybe these ideas have been mentioned here before I don't know.

Item #1
    The particular screws that hold the straps on have a screw driver slot in the screw body (inside holster towards pants) but the nut face (outside holster away from body) is smooth so it looks clean. There is no way to hold it unless you try grabbing it with pliers.
    My solution for removing the screws that hold the straps is to place a piece of tape ( I used black electrician's tape) across the nut face and onto the holster to prevent the nut from turning.

Item #2
    The holster belt slots are tight on my belt, the belt is a Cabela's double duty so it's about 1/4 thick. When try threading the holster on while wearing the pants I find it hard to slide the belt thru the slots and once I get the belt thru the pants loops the holster pretty much locks on to the belt. The problem here is that if I don't have the holster in the correct position, it's darn near impossible to slide the holster forward or back, plus if I guessed wrong and have the holster just behind a pants loop, but want to move it forward a little I have to unthread the belt, move the holster over the pants loop, then rethread the belt. This is worse for the mag holder, weak side because I have to remove the holster and unthread more belt to get to the mag holder, even if the holster position was comfortable. Then I lose the holster position and have to find the best spot for it again.

My solution is I took a silver sharpie marker and made marks on the inside of my belt where the front and rear of the holster are on the belt when I have it positioned correctly. Same for the mag holder. Now all I have to do is thread the belt and position the mag holder and holster to the marks before I put the pants on.

I don't mean this to be a knock against Fist. This is just something I did not think about because this is my first belt slot holster. Does anyone else have any other tips on getting the holster location right the first time, everytime?

On another more positive note, the holster is pretty comfortable OWB. Once I got it where I wanted it it was pretty comfortable. I initially thought I would never wear it OWB except maybe at a range because I figured it wouldn't conceal very well. Surprisingly it does conceal pretty good. I can see either the grip bottom or the point of the rear site, depending on where I poistion the holster when I check in a mirror but it would probably go unnoticed by anyone else. This is under a tee or a polo. If I went with a button down/flannel shirt it would be undetectable. Unfortunantly I think one of my flannels is a little to short and the bottom of the holster might be uncovered.

Glad everything worked out for you. Some good tips on holster location too. I prefer OWB. I wear mine at about 4 o'clock. Just could never get used to IWB.
    NRA Life Member

Let's see some pics!
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

Links