Do any tuckable holsters actually work?

This is a discussion on Do any tuckable holsters actually work? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Versa Max II's are wonderful. But there is a 30 week wait on them. I'm down to 3 months http://www.miltsparks.com/...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do any tuckable holsters actually work?

Versa Max II's are wonderful. But there is a 30 week wait on them. I'm down to 3 months

http://www.miltsparks.com/

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chivvalry View Post
    Crossbreed supertuck works great.
    Yep!

You can even get a Belt & clips from Crossbreed that will make the holster and clips totally concealed.

I wear the Comp-Tac MTAC with C-clips tucked in while at work. I'm in and out of a car all day long and my shirt stays tucked in. I too am long bodied and wear tall size shirts.

I dont know if this matters or would help the op,but I havent see any of you guys say where on your body you wear your holster.I wear mine at 4:00 right behind my hip...Does it mater or help, to were you put your holster on your waist. t tryed to tuck it.Im glad that I dont have to wear a dress shirt like I know akot of you guys have to to work in, or thats just your woredrobe choice,I live In Tennessee,I bet you allready knew it from my spelling,Sorry about that.We have a open carry state.even though I dont open carry myself,its nice,that if you print or your covershirt blows up in the wind,or some old lady in the parking lot sees your gun as you get out of your car,because your shirt rises up and exposes it.If she calls in a man with a gun call to cops,your not n trouble for showing.I have a Milt Sparks VMII with the plactic clips,and I tryed to wear it tuck a few times I had to wear a dress shirt,and it didnt work for me,but I ddid have to really make it work like soe of you guys have.I guess if you have to,you can keep trying different things and ways till you get it to work for you.Id rather put the Milt Sparks Axiom holster on OWB and wear a cover shirt.

Milt Sparks VM-2 works great with the clips. As others have said a longer shirt helps.

I've been running a BladeTech UCH ('Ultimate Concealment Holster') for almost ten years with full size and commander sized 1911s, and it does work well when in tucked mode.

But of course you must become well schooled at blousing your shirt just so and to do so _evenly_ as side to side no just on your gun hand (!).
    I regularly carry in this mode while wearing suits to places where I know I'll have to remove my jacket (such as lunch meetings) and in weather conditions where wearing cover does not work (summer in a suit).

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I've got a DeSantis Tuck This 2 for my Beretta 85F (.380) that "works" fine. Conceals great, but still very quick to draw from. Best part is that it also holds an extra magazine.

I use an Ace Case tuck-able. Very inexpensive. It functions.
    I've done leather work off and on for years... I will eventually make my own.

What I have found with many tuck-ables, is that they cause an unsightly (read: I can SEEE you) bulge where the holster hides. Especially if the handle/grip of the handgun ends up partially under the belt. One way around this one sided bulge would be to install an equally bulky item in a tuck-able holster on the opposite side... say, a mag carrier.

Some things I intend to address when I make my own:

1: Grip must be above the belt line.
    2: A little cant of the muzzle to the rear allows the grip to conform to the torso a bit better.
    3: A sweat guard to cover the body side of the grip.

But honestly... I've practiced what Ayoob (and others) call(s) the Hackathorn rip on a tucked shirt over the weapon, I'm not pleased with the speed nor the convoluted "acrobatics" required to deploy the weapon in a timely manner. To me, it's not as fast as a shoulder unit, and neither is a fast as an IWP or OWB with the grip exposed.

The more I think about it, the more likely I am to try the smartcarry or even the much maligned cel-pal. (at least with the latter you can do a one-handed, off-handed draw).

I recently argued with a gent on here that I could "see" his appendix carried tuckable in photos he provided. He disputed that... but to me, the outline of the grip was visible in the "folds" the patterned, bloused shirt. His counter point was that since the advent of pagers, cell phones, etc., bulges could no longer be assumed to be weapons. True enough.

As a CWP holder, and one who is interested in good concealment, I spend a lot of time surreptitiously looking at other folks to see if I can determine whether and where they carry or not. I know that my own concealment is far from perfect.

I don't want to dress around the gun if I can help it. To that end, the smaller KelTecs and LCPs and their kind are ideally concealable weapons, especially in a "wallet" holster like the Recluse or even the pocket pal (by the mfg of the cel pal).

In fact, I specifically changed to a Big Skinny wallet from my bulky tri fold so that in the event I finally decided to go the KelTek route, I would be able to put the KelTek or other pocket .380 in a wallet holster, and have real concealment. I just have to get over the caliber/stopping power thing...

BTW not affiliated with Ace Case, Big Skinny, KelTek, Smart Carry, or Cel Pal in any way.
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

I have an MTAC for my G19 and another one for my CZ P-01, and work great with both guns. I wear them at 3:00.

No problems with my G23 in a Comp-Tac Spartan.
    Make sure the shirt is long enough & blouse your shirt alittle.

You know I only tried tucking my G19 in my crossbreed one time. It tucked nicely and I'm sure would have stayed put all the time. The problem I had was that when looking at my waistline it looked lopsided. The belt buckle in the middle and one side of my belt sticking out further than the other. I tried moving my G19 from 3:30 to 4:00 or so and it helped a little, but to me my waist still looked lopsided. So, that day I went untucked in the dress shirt and took the tie off, open collar casual look. I wish I would have taken some pics to post...

Also, I have a 33" waist so that may not have helped.

Quote Originally Posted by Unkind213 View Post
    You know I only tried tucking my G19 in my crossbreed one time. It tucked nicely and I'm sure would have stayed put all the time. The problem I had was that when looking at my waistline it looked lopsided. The belt buckle in the middle and one side of my belt sticking out further than the other. I tried moving my G19 from 3:30 to 4:00 or so and it helped a little, but to me my waist still looked lopsided. So, that day I went untucked in the dress shirt and took the tie off, open collar casual look. I wish I would have taken some pics to post...

I know your plight, I have a 31" - 32" waist and that bulge is noticeable with a tucked in shirt.

+1 Supertuck

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I just ordered a Comp-Tac MTAC for my HK USP Compact .40 S&W and a Crossbreed Supertuck for my Walther P99 9mm. I think those two holsters are the best non-custom tuckable holsters on the market in terms of comfort, concealment and quality. If you want the best of the best, get a VM II by Milt Sparks but be ready to wait 30 weeks to get your holster.

Has anyone here tried the Crossbreed IWB Mag Carrier or the Minotaur Magazine Concealment Pouch (IWB)?
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Quote Originally Posted by Unkind213 View Post

This is where "blousing" your shirt may help. After tucking reach both arms over your head and usually your shirt comes out just enough for it to fall over your belt an equal amount all around your waist, With the blousing all around, sometimes the one sided bulge disappears. Works for me anyway.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links