Sig P238 "Protection" Holster?

This is a discussion on Sig P238 "Protection" Holster? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am contemplating selling my Kahr P380 with Crimson Trace laser, and buying a Sig P238 for my wife. I love the Kahr, but rarely ...

Thread: Sig P238 "Protection" Holster?

Sig P238 "Protection" Holster?

I am contemplating selling my Kahr P380 with Crimson Trace laser, and buying a Sig P238 for my wife. I love the Kahr, but rarely carry it. My wife was at the range with me recently and fell in love with a buddy's Sig P238. There are times when she goes out without a gun because the purse she is taking doesn't fit her M&P 9c, and that really bothers me. I would like to get her a small gun, that I know SHE enjoys shooting.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a holster for the Sig P238 that has the strap, like some 1911 holsters, that stays between the hammer and the gun. Just on that highly unlikely occasion that while in her purse the safety gets flicked off, at least if the hammer were to fall it would be stopped by the strap before hitting the firing pin. I do realize that is highly unlikely, but I would feel much more comfortable knowing that that fail safe is there anyway. I included a picture of the type holster I am referring too. Thank You.

"Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

2. Remove Ads

I have four options for you.

American Heritage with Thumb Break

Thumb break can be customized at the shop as per your specification.

American Legacy II

A leather strap can easily be added to this model. The mounting system is simple to take off and reinstall (will take less room in her purse). She can carry the holster in her purse and either put the mount on her belt or leave it at home.

Silent Thunder OWB or IWB (whichever she prefers when actually wearing the holster).

This is likely your best option. The IWB clip is small enough that she probably wouldn't bother to take it off. The OWB mount is easy to put on and take off. The Kydex outer shell will be fairly impervious to keys and other items in the purse, while the leather lining will protect the finish of her Sig. We can easily add the leather strap to this model as well.

American Statesman

This is an all leather replica of the Silent Thunder IWB model, and can also be easily customized to suit your needs.
    The Second Amendment is clear, concise, and not open to interpretation.

I got the feeling your wife was going to carry the gun in her purse, not on her person.
    The Sig 238 has a few choices.
    You don't seem confident carrying "cocked and locked."
    You could carry with one in the chamber and the hammer down, but since it is single action, that requires you (her) to cock the hammer before firing.
    I think that's kinda' hard.
    Or, carry with the chamber empty, and rack the slide to cock and chamber a round. I think on that gun is easier than cocking the hammer.
    That requires two hands, and some time.
    I have never seen a simple holster for the 238 with a thumb break. Whatever you get, make sure the safety is covered as well as the trigger.

This is my DeSantisb Thumb Break Scabbard, unlined, Tan, Two Slot (http://www.desantisholster.com/store...Break-Scabbard) Comfortable to belt wear, and small enough that your wife can pocketbook carry...if she decided to do so... One thing I did, was have a cobbler attatch a thin piece of leather over the inside part of the snap, as it tended to rub on the corner of the slide. He used Superglue, I found out after the fact... I could have done that, but hey, cobblers need the business...

If she is going to carry in her purse, I would recommend a pocket holster.

I'm not a big fan of anything that can get in the way of the draw.

Has she ever shot your Kahr? The longer trigger pull would help minimize the concern.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

1) Thank you for the options GIMIKE
    2) Yes she would be carrying in her purse and not on her person.
    3) @ CrystalPhoto: That is EXACTLY what I'm looking for, but without the additional loops for the belt (I would hate to have to cut those off of a $70 holster)
    4) @ MNBURL: A pocket holster is exactly what she needs, but one with the strap between the hammer and striker. And yes she has shot my Kahr P380, she doesn't like it. She did love shooting my buddy's Sig P238 which is what got me in this mess in the first place. At least she knows what she likes right?
    5) Something that just got me thinking. If I found the holster I was looking for, she would have to FIRST snap off the strap, and THEN flick off the safety........I don't really know if that's such a great idea, her having to navigate BOTH those steps in a stressful situation?
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

She did love shooting my buddy's Sig P238
    The good news is that she made a fine choice. I've always said the 238 is the perfect gun for a lady.
    It looks good, the slide is easy to rack, it's small enough to hide easily. and it has a very soft recoil.
    Throw in really good night sights, and it's a winner.
    I'd still go with a pocket holster that covers the safety and trigger. If it's molded to the gun it won't fall out.
    I discussed this with "Luke Adams" and he is willing to work out the details. He makes really nice pocket holsters.
    She might go for a nice exotic.

Send him an E-Mail. He spent a lot of time with me, and was willing to do custom work.

http://adamsholsters.com/store/

Quote Originally Posted by claybreaker0 View Post
    5) Something that just got me thinking. If I found the holster I was looking for, she would have to FIRST snap off the strap, and THEN flick off the safety........I don't really know if that's such a great idea, her having to navigate BOTH those steps in a stressful situation?
    You forgot the part about her digging through her purse to find the pistol and holster.

I'm glad that I found your post. You've prompted me to give a little more thought to purse carry, and all the "stuff" in my wife's purse that she would have to dig through to get to her pistol. What ever type of holster you get her, I think it would be important that it included some way to mount the holster to the inside of her purse near the top. That way she doesn't have to waste time searching for her insurance policy. An IWB clip would likely be the easiest solution. Probably velcro on the holster and the inside wall of her purse would be good also. Depending on the number of different purses she has, you may be doing a lot of sewing. Good luck with your search!
    Last edited by gimike; January 26th, 2011 at 01:58 PM. Reason: added info
    The Second Amendment is clear, concise, and not open to interpretation.

Links