Three new ones. Opinions & Suggestions

This is a discussion on Three new ones. Opinions & Suggestions within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Pretty dang nice, if you ask me. Hopefully FL will pass OC in the near future. If so, I'll be looking for something for my ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Three new ones. Opinions & Suggestions

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Pretty dang nice, if you ask me. Hopefully FL will pass OC in the near future. If so, I'll be looking for something for my 4566 and CZ-82. And Glock 30. Heck, maybe something for the Glock even sooner.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Pretty dang nice, if you ask me. Hopefully FL will pass OC in the near future. If so, I'll be looking for something for my 4566 and CZ-82. And Glock 30. Heck, maybe something for the Glock even sooner.
    Well thank you for the compliment. Don't wait for open carry. You've got the guns get your CHL, a good holster and a loose cover garment and start carrying.
    The more legally armed citizens on the street the better. Kind of makes you wonder what the body count in Arizona would have been had there been a couple of armed CHL holders in the crowd?

Very nice stuff. I really like the slight rearward cant for the revolver.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by Denster View Post
    Thank you for the suggestions. Yes they are simple holsters. My mindset when I'm designing a holster, and yes I like everyone else am influenced by other makers and my experience of what works for me, is not to add design elements unless they have a real functional purpose and are not simply eye candy. For example a tensioning screw on a pancake design holster has no function as tension is provided by the holster design. The same is true of extensive stitching which if not necessary to the design of the holster can actually weaken that area.
    As to original concepts. Virtually everything that can be done with leather to make a holster has been done by someone at sometime, somewhere. The only new ideas are slightly different uses of old ideas. Again by example any pancake design could be classed as a Roy Baker knock-off.
    Once again thanks for offering your opinion.
    An improvement doesn't have to be gimmicky. I think most holster buyers are actually pretty practically minded people. For example, read the introduction for materials at Brommeland holsters. He makes a convincing argument for why he DOESN'T use horse hide in his holsters. Similarly, you might argue that your holsters are better than competing brands because they DON'T have the tension adjustment screw...if you make a logical and convincing argument, then that sort of thing can be your "unique selling point." One thing that I think everyone appreciates in a holster, even the practically minded people, is aesthetic beauty. Can you find some way to make your holsters look even better WITHOUT sacrificing any practical objectives? For example, I have spent a lot of time browsing expensive custom holster makers and the number one thing that deters me is inconsistent or unattractive boning.
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

Those are great lloking holsters, great job.

Quote Originally Posted by sentioch View Post
    An improvement doesn't have to be gimmicky. I think most holster buyers are actually pretty practically minded people. For example, read the introduction for materials at Brommeland holsters. He makes a convincing argument for why he DOESN'T use horse hide in his holsters. Similarly, you might argue that your holsters are better than competing brands because they DON'T have the tension adjustment screw...if you make a logical and convincing argument, then that sort of thing can be your "unique selling point." One thing that I think everyone appreciates in a holster, even the practically minded people, is aesthetic beauty. Can you find some way to make your holsters look even better WITHOUT sacrificing any practical objectives? For example, I have spent a lot of time browsing expensive custom holster makers and the number one thing that deters me is inconsistent or unattractive boning.
    You make some very good points, particularly regarding the aesthetics of a holster. I agree that addressing the particular selling points of your wares is a good idea as long as it is kept within the realm of logic and not done simply to aggrandise oneself. You mentioned Brommeland's introduction and his argument against horsehide. I've read that and I can't agree with him. Both cowhide and horsehide make excellent holsters however they are different materials and require somewhat different approaches. One thing that I could not buy is that he throws out over half of every hide before he starts to cut holsters as he only uses the backs. Throwing out the middle, belly and shoulders of a hide just doesn't make sense as it is perfectly sellable leather. In any case if you choose only to use the backs then don't buy sides call Hermann Oak and order double backs and not have all the "waste".

Very nice,

really nice looking....

My only improvement suggestion is based on the revolver holster. I use Crimson Trace grips on all of my carry guns and I think they are popular add ons. It doesnt look based on your photo that the black revolver rig would accomidate the grips?

This is three of my latest designs. Any suggestions for improvements or design opinions would be appreciated. All of the holsters are made of 8OZ Hermann Oak.
    The holsters for the SigP238 and the S&W Bodyguard380 are 15 degree butt forward cant and the width allows them to be worn as either a standard belt holster or between the belt and waistband.
    The holster for the S&W 38 Bodyguard with laser is 10 degree butt rearward cant that allows it to be worn from 10 O'Clock crossdraw to about 3 O'Clock strong side.
    Really good looking stuff!
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by orangehole View Post
    My only improvement suggestion is based on the revolver holster. I use Crimson Trace grips on all of my carry guns and I think they are popular add ons. It doesnt look based on your photo that the black revolver rig would accomidate the grips?
    Thanks for the response. The revolver holster is for the new S&W bodyguard with the insight laser allready mounted. Adding laser grips would be kind of redundent.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Well thank you for the compliment. Don't wait for open carry. You've got the guns get your CHL, a good holster and a loose cover garment and start carrying.
    The more legally armed citizens on the street the better. Kind of makes you wonder what the body count in Arizona would have been had there been a couple of armed CHL holders in the crowd?
    I do have my CWFL but OC would be more comfortable for me. IWB is doable, but not my first choice comfortwise.

I don't want to misdirect your thread or wish to have a bunch of replies distracting from your display of your work, but the reality of the AZ incident is there is no answer.

While I agree the more armed citizens the better, imagine 2, 3, maybe 4 people carrying guns opening up on this guy who's already in a crowd. As much as we all like to think we're a Dead-eyed Elmer Keith, the truth is that most of us are not. True ... maybe he wouldn't have gotten off as many rounds, but some of those would have been replaced with rounds from the other citizens--and who can say if those rounds would have been on target or would have missed and struck other innocents in the melee. All I can envision is a crossfire from law-abiding citizens trying to do the right thing under the absolute worst circumstances.

I think the best possible thing happened in the worst possible situation--citizens tackled and stopped the guy at the first opportunity. I only wish they could have reacted quicker. But I wasn't there, so I don't judge those who were.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links