Three new ones. Opinions & Suggestions

This is a discussion on Three new ones. Opinions & Suggestions within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is three of my latest designs. Any suggestions for improvements or design opinions would be appreciated. All of the holsters are made of 8OZ ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27

Thread: Three new ones. Opinions & Suggestions

  1. #1
    Member Array Denster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    158

    Three new ones. Opinions & Suggestions

    This is three of my latest designs. Any suggestions for improvements or design opinions would be appreciated. All of the holsters are made of 8OZ Hermann Oak.
    The holsters for the SigP238 and the S&W Bodyguard380 are 15 degree butt forward cant and the width allows them to be worn as either a standard belt holster or between the belt and waistband.
    The holster for the S&W 38 Bodyguard with laser is 10 degree butt rearward cant that allows it to be worn from 10 O'Clock crossdraw to about 3 O'Clock strong side.
    Attached Images

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    VIP Member Array tkruf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Really SW, Virginia
    Posts
    4,652
    Those look pretty nice.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

  4. #3
    Administrator
    Array QKShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Off Of The X
    Posts
    35,107
    Three new ones. Opinions & Suggestions

    You want a suggestion? OK here's one ~~~> Start making holsters full time.

    Super nice work.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

  5. #4
    Member Array Denster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    158
    Thank You! Actually making holsters is my retirement business. I think I have a pretty good idea what makes a good holster but I've posted new designs here before and gotten some good input that caused me to make changes I hadn't thought of.

  6. #5
    Administrator
    Array QKShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Off Of The X
    Posts
    35,107
    Looks like you are getting a real nice black...but, try this little trick on one holster anyway. Or try it first on a piece of scrap.
    Dye the holster medium or deep brown first & let that brown pretty much dry in - and then dye it black.
    It's an extra step & it takes a bit longer but, in my opinion it's worth the extra time. I do that on all of my black custom knife sheaths.
    That's an old trick that I learned from a real old timer leather-pro that worked at Tandy Leather Company back when they had a store located on the Blvd Of The Allies...in Downtown PGH.
    He did the most beautiful fully carved Western leather holsters & gun belts and he got really super beautiful & deep, rich, warm blacks on leather rather than the colder blue/black.
    Doing the brown dye first knocks out the blue from the black and gives you a really extra rich looking black.
    Something for you to try out just for the heckovit since (I know for a fact) that all leather workers love to experiment.

  7. #6
    GM
    GM is offline
    VIP Member Array GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,866
    Very good job!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

  8. #7
    Member Array MdMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    162
    Do you make any IWB or OWB holster for a Colt Officers Model?

  9. #8
    Distinguished Member
    Array cammo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,273
    Nice work. To really evaluate, can you show them worn (like a person wearing it)??

  10. #9
    Member Array Denster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Looks like you are getting a real nice black...but, try this little trick on one holster anyway. Or try it first on a piece of scrap.
    Dye the holster medium or deep brown first & let that brown pretty much dry in - and then dye it black.
    It's an extra step & it takes a bit longer but, in my opinion it's worth the extra time. I do that on all of my black custom knife sheaths.
    That's an old trick that I learned from a real old timer leather-pro that worked at Tandy Leather Company back when they had a store located on the Blvd Of The Allies...in Downtown PGH.
    He did the most beautiful fully carved Western leather holsters & gun belts and he got really super beautiful & deep, rich, warm blacks on leather rather than the colder blue/black.
    Doing the brown dye first knocks out the blue from the black and gives you a really extra rich looking black.
    Something for you to try out just for the heckovit since (I know for a fact) that all leather workers love to experiment.
    That's an excellent tip. I've done that before and it gives a really rich ebony black. What I'm using for these holsters is Hermann Oak drumm dyed because there is no chance of color bleed.

  11. #10
    Member Array Denster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by MdMike View Post
    Do you make any IWB or OWB holster for a Colt Officers Model?
    Yes I do. I don't have any currently made up as everyone and their relations are making 1911 holsters. The little pocket rockets seem to be the most popular currently.

  12. #11
    Member Array Denster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    Nice work. To really evaluate, can you show them worn (like a person wearing it)??
    I'll try to get o few pics to post.

  13. #12
    VIP Member Array Hiram25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wyoming, DE
    Posts
    10,964
    Pretty work!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

  14. #13
    Member Array sentioch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    394
    They look like well made holsters, and I would consider buying something like that. They do look pretty simple though, you might consider adding something an adjustable tension screw or reinforced mouth. You could also add some more stitching around the loop holes.

    I don't see anything original in the design which means there's tons of competition and what possible reason is there to go with you, as opposed to someone with a good reputation, if you are not offering any improvements?

    The only possible reason would be if you offered yours at a much cheaper price. But I think you'd be better off trying to find some original design element so you can make a name for yourself other than "the guy who makes knock off holsters a little cheaper."
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

  15. #14
    CMR
    CMR is offline
    Member Array CMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ypsi, MI
    Posts
    235
    Those look really nice and I'd be happy to try them out.
    For a lot of people, being a victim is a way of Life. That's a Life I choose NOT to live.

    A Shepherd must tend to his Flock. And at times........fight off the wolves.

  16. #15
    Member Array Denster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by sentioch View Post
    They look like well made holsters, and I would consider buying something like that. They do look pretty simple though, you might consider adding something an adjustable tension screw or reinforced mouth. You could also add some more stitching around the loop holes.

    I don't see anything original in the design which means there's tons of competition and what possible reason is there to go with you, as opposed to someone with a good reputation, if you are not offering any improvements?

    The only possible reason would be if you offered yours at a much cheaper price. But I think you'd be better off trying to find some original design element so you can make a name for yourself other than "the guy who makes knock off holsters a little cheaper."
    Thank you for the suggestions. Yes they are simple holsters. My mindset when I'm designing a holster, and yes I like everyone else am influenced by other makers and my experience of what works for me, is not to add design elements unless they have a real functional purpose and are not simply eye candy. For example a tensioning screw on a pancake design holster has no function as tension is provided by the holster design. The same is true of extensive stitching which if not necessary to the design of the holster can actually weaken that area.
    As to original concepts. Virtually everything that can be done with leather to make a holster has been done by someone at sometime, somewhere. The only new ideas are slightly different uses of old ideas. Again by example any pancake design could be classed as a Roy Baker knock-off.
    Once again thanks for offering your opinion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Opinions/Suggestions on carrying with a broken clavicle (slinged arm)
    By javahawk in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: October 16th, 2010, 12:33 PM
  2. OWB Suggestions
    By tmast8 in forum Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: May 1st, 2010, 06:26 PM
  3. Yaqui holster opinions/suggestions
    By oldfiredog in forum Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: January 31st, 2010, 12:01 AM
  4. Andrews MacDaniel opinions/suggestions
    By semperfi.45 in forum Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: October 17th, 2007, 01:56 AM
  5. Tangfoglio Witness Compact 10mm- Opinions/Suggestions
    By randytulsa2 in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: July 24th, 2007, 12:12 AM