"Newbie" Needs Info on Magazine Holders....Hope this is the Right Forum.......

This is a discussion on "Newbie" Needs Info on Magazine Holders....Hope this is the Right Forum....... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a "returnee" to the shooting sport. Have purchased a 4 inch 1911 (Kimber) for CC. Taking my CCW class in a couple weeks. ...

Thread: "Newbie" Needs Info on Magazine Holders....Hope this is the Right Forum.......

"Newbie" Needs Info on Magazine Holders....Hope this is the Right Forum.......

I am a "returnee" to the shooting sport. Have purchased a 4 inch 1911 (Kimber) for CC. Taking my CCW class in a couple weeks. At the stage where I am trying to decide what IWB holster to purchase and have found lots of information on that subject but what there does not seem to be a lot of is information on the different types of magazine holders/pouches. Was wondering if someone could post the in's & out's, good points & bad on the different types of magazine holders..........since I plan on getting a IWB holster seems that a IWB mag holder/pouch would be the best choice but since I have no experience at all in these matters thought I would ask you mag holder/pouch owners what you have learned...Since I do plan on taking IDPA training, I think (an sometimes I do not think so well these days) that a single mag pouch would be the best choice that way I can have two of them and use two for the IDPA sessions and use just one when I CC in public.....does that make sense? thanks

PS: Hope this is the right discussion for this question.....could not find a discussion dedicated to magazine holders....

2. Remove Ads

I've been carrying for less than a year and I have the same issues you've expressed. I've done a little reading on it and I don't have a brand yet but I will be getting two OWB holders. Other have mentioned that there is really no need for IWB holders unless you have to tuck your shirt in.

I will be following this thread with interest.

check out Sidegaurd Holsters. He makes IWB and OWB holsters and mag holsters., pocket mag pouches. Have you shot the Kimber much yet?
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

There are some holster makers who make IWB magazine pouches, Crossbreed, who is a site sponsor comes to mind: http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/Ho...%2cProductName

I have never tried that one, and my mag holders are OWB. Even when I carry IWB, it is with an OWB dual mag holder on the offside. The main advantage of an IWB holster in my mind, is that I can carry a full sized handgun with normal length shirts. When I carry my full sized 1911 OWB, not all my shirts will cover the entire holster, especially not if I am moving around. But they will all work with an IWB holster, because they tend to come to a bit below the belt. With a mag holder, everything is at belt level or above, so I don't see a need to go IWB with it. If I needed to tuck my shirt in, it would pose a problem, but I tend not to do that.

Get a magazine holder that you can easily grab from, and keeps the magazines in the same place so that you can build up good muscle memory. I usually stick with dual magazine holders, because it isn't harder to carry two, so might as well. If you only want one magazine, you only need to carry one in a dual holder. You can't do the same with a single magazine holder if you want to carry two.

But, good on you for realizing you should carry a spare magazine. If someone is going to carry a semi-auto, they should have a spare mag, not so much from an ammo count standpoint necessarily, but because most semi-auto malfunctions are magazine related.

I also don't believe in the "I'm just going to throw a spare mag in my pocket" approach. When that stressful situation comes, you are going to want that spare magazine in the exact position and orientation you have trained with it in. To leave that up to chance seems a bit silly to me.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by hihosilver View Post
    check out Sidegaurd Holsters. He makes IWB and OWB holsters and mag holsters., pocket mag pouches. Have you shot the Kimber much yet?
    Yes, been to the range now 5 times........going through a hundred rounds each trip.............Still getting my shooting grip together.........staying with 7 yards for now........getting better each trip.......the Super Carry Pro so far has worked out perfect........magazines needed a little break in...using Kim Pro Tac mags....visit yesterday everything went without may mag problems.........had been loading the mags up the day before........last trip I had them loaded for a week before....seemed to do the trick........wish I could give you a comparison on the Kimber but this is my first 1911 45 ACP so do not have a reference point.......recoil is not as bad as I thought it would be..........hoping to get a 5 inch later in the year for regular target shooting............

Quote Originally Posted by orbitup View Post
    I've been carrying for less than a year and I have the same issues you've expressed. I've done a little reading on it and I don't have a brand yet but I will be getting two OWB holders. Other have mentioned that there is really no need for IWB holders unless you have to tuck your shirt in.

I will be following this thread with interest.
    Yes, been looking around and it does not seem that a IWB mag holder would be needed........Crossbreed has a two mag IWB holder........seems to be the only one that makes sense but not going to be carrying two mag holders when I do start carrying just one will do (that statement is probably going to generate some replies...If anything does ever happen will probably be lucky to get a couple rounds off let alone 17 with a reload...) will need two for IDPA sessions so will probably go with two single OWB mag holders.........

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    This is the mag pouch I use on a day-to-day carry basis. It's good for IDPA as well. I've gotten a few others but this one is the best/most comfortable I've used.

Now for strictly concealment purposes I've used an old Gerber multi-tool pouch and/or a cell phone pouch. They don't get a second glance.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

When the 1911s are concealed they're in an IWB, but my gut reacts badly to IWB mag carriers - for me, they put the ouch in "pouch" when I lean or bend. I do prefer clip on and snap-on, but the best I have still is a leather Bianchi 2-mag pouch; not sure it's still made these days. Height of the exposed magazine above the belt line is a comfort driver; lower works better for me.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

OWB mag holder for me please. Like Smitty said, IWB's can really be painful, unless you're a stringbean. My favorite OWB is made by Brommeland...
    http://www.brommelandgunleather.com/index.htm
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I like these for my mag holders. Outside Waist Band and no need to conceal:

Links