Galco Concealable...quality control? - Page 2

Galco Concealable...quality control?

This is a discussion on Galco Concealable...quality control? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have spoken to Galco salesman on the phone twice and I will say that I am very impressed by their friendliness, talkativeness and general ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Galco Concealable...quality control?

I have spoken to Galco salesman on the phone twice and I will say that I am very impressed by their friendliness, talkativeness and general knowledge. When I asked about the quality control issues I was basically laughed at; he said comparing Galco to other brands like Don Hume or DeSantis was like comparing a luxury car to a cheap knock off...that Galco has a top of the line reputation and produces the finest quality non-custom holsters. Unfortunately I do not know enough to know if it is true or if he is just being a salesman.

It seems this thread is only making my OWB choice more difficult! I wish there was an "obvious choice"!

Quote Originally Posted by Beachbumcook View Post
    Here is the Highnoon Holster Company Warrenty information. It does not get any simplier and easier than this..... this is why I gave them a try, as they will stand behind their products!!!
    http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Guar...guarantee.html

BTW, I bought a Galco "reinforced gun belt"... and it was junk and not reinforced... so I returned it after 2 weeks and bought an Aker gun belt (Leather & Kydex) from Galls Police Supply. I can only expect that maybe Galco's holsters are just as bad or do not live up to their "marketing hype"?????
    Galco also has a no-questions asked return policy, and they did allow you to return your belt, so it's not fair to say that they don't stand behind their products. I have a Galco SB3 belt on the way....out of curiosity which model were you dissatisfied with?
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

Galco has a real pretty catalog.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

VIP Member
    How about Nate at UBG? He is a member here and makes nice stuff.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by CMR View Post
    I cannot say anything good about Galco. I've also had QC issues with a couple holsters that I returned to the gunshop where I bought them. Same goes for High Noon, had the stitching come undone on a holster and my experience with them left a bad taste in my mouth.
    I do like Aker, I have three of their holsters. Haven't noticed any issues with them. My two "go to" holster makers are Don Hume and DeSantis. DeSantis has really impressed me over the years and Don Hume has excellent customer service. (And both make great holsters for the price!!)
    We are not sure how you could have a bad experience with us, the stitching is guarantee for life, we will fix it or replace it, it's really that simple. Everyone is nice down here, just looking to help customers. Could you provide more in depth details so if we did something wrong we can correct it in the future. Stitching coming undone is a rare occurrence here if ever.

Alex<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

VIP Member
    In non custom OWB Holsters, I have tried Don Hume and Galco. I much prefer the Galco products. The Hume will hold the gun to your belt, but he leather is not stiff enough to hold the gun upright. The Galcos are stiff enough. My preferred Galco for OWB is the Combat Master. My Black Ops Pro does an even better job, and it works both OWB and IWB, but at more than twice the price. If you can afford one, call Rocky at Pure Kustom. Otherwise I would go with a Galco for OWB.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Sentioch,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    There are many ways to do things and many different viewpoints. Since you have a picture of our holster in your comparison, here are our views on your questions looking at the picture of the four holsters you posted.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Belt loop design: Round, half moon, straight or whatever does not matter. It's just a artistic design choice.<o:p></o:p>
    Belt loops width: Some are under the impression that the loops have to be the exact size of the belt so when you draw your weapon you don't have to overcome the slack from slots that are too big. The problem here is you kill the finish on your expensive belt rubbing it, against the holsters belt loops. It does not make much sense to us to do it that way. A little over size is OK but not too much, just enough. More info here http://highnoonholsters.com/_Questio...estions.html#9 <o:p></o:p>
    If the gun belt is strong and its holding the holster tite against your body, you will not feel any upward motion because of the slots being slightly over 1 1/2 which is what we size them. If you wear your belt really loose you may feel something when you draw. With that said, the mistake many make when practicing drawing is they think that's what they will feel if they have to use the weapon. Well it's not, you need to put yourself in the gravest extreme, with adrenaline pumping and your life is on the line , if you need to use your gun," believe me" you will not notice any drag or feel any slack from slots on a holster not being the same size as the belt. Sizing slots to match a holsters slots exact is an internet holster myth to us. <o:p></o:p>
    Tension Screw: Much harder to design a holster around, more labor in molding, more labor getting the product out the door, more money in materials, more money when people lose them, a major pain in all areas. You also get many holsters that do not work because of the leather stretching the tension placement, this lessens the profits when you have to trash some. If the leather stretches a holster without a tension screw setup its easy to adjust the stitching to compensate for this. Holsters that have this feature tend to have a higher price tag.<o:p></o:p>
    Stitching: Bottom line is, the less stitching the easier and quicker you can make the holster and get it out the door. The Desantis at $50 and Hume at $40 have just single stitching going around and a simple stitch design, all others have double and a more difficult design, more labor and a higher price tag. <o:p></o:p>
    Molding: In your pictures all are crisp and detailed, except for the Hume, its flat and lackluster, but that's a different molding process which is much quicker to get out the door. Nothing wrong with it except looks. More labor in the crisper detailed holsters and a higher price tag..<o:p></o:p>
    Holster Design: From the pictures, the designs which do not cover the whole gun like the Desantis and Aker leave the front site exposed, not something we really like, 99% of our designs cover the entire gun. Those designs are dealer designs so they can fit a family of guns in there and the dealer can only stock one product. The holsters work, nothing wrong with that, if you know that's what you are buying. It's also a simple design. More difficult designed holsters have a higher price tag.<o:p></o:p>
    Sweat Shield: Only 2 designs have them, Hume and us High Noon. Sweat shields are harder to design a holster around, harder to mold a gun around, you have to make sure its lined up correct in the molding process. The leather has to be stiffer and thicker or the shield will flop back and forth. You have to be careful where that shield is cut from the leather if its a soft spot it does not work. High quality leather has to be involved. In the end more labor, more trashed holsters, more leather in the design, which all adds up to more money in the final product.<o:p></o:p>
    Hope this helps<o:p></o:p>
    Justin<o:p></o:p>

Quote Originally Posted by sentioch View Post
    Thanks for the tip about Aker, I hadn't heard about them. I'm really looking for a simple quality OWB holster that has nice leatherwork, something that I will primarily wear under a suit coat. Obviously I prefer cheaper but I'm willing to pay extra if my money is actually buying something. The reason I started looking at the Galco Concealable is because they have good reviews and their leather has a good finish. Honestly, I would expect a company running a big assembly line to have a very consistent process that produces holsters all looking the same which is why I was so surprised to see what appears to be completely different holsters being marketed with the same model number. I think I am just going to call them up and see what they have to say.

In the meantime here is a comparison of several holsters I am looking at. I was wondering if I would be right to assume that the Done Hume doesn't hold the gun quite as tight, due to not having a flap of leather that extends up from the belt line like the others. I'm also curious if there is any difference between the belt loops that are curved vs straight...do the curved ones slide around more? There's quite a lot of price differential between these...the Galco and High Noon are almost twice as expensive as Don Hume, DeSantis, and Aker seems to be the middle. What I'm trying to figure out is does this higher cost actually imply a better product?

I guess I could have also included Kramer, Alessi, Bianchi in this lineup...

Then there's some really expensive ones like Brommeland Def-Con for $150-$180 but again, not sure what this buys me..
    Actually I have several LEO friends who have the 721 and it conceals very close to the body. I own two of the Don Hume PCCH, it was my first IWB, I bought about 10 years ago and it saw daily use until about two years ago when I got my HBE Com III. I am selling my extra one to a friend, it feels floppy to the touch and soft, but holding it upside down unsupported does not allow the gun to come out. Don Hume is great quality for the money.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Thanks everyone for the additional opinions and information, especially High Noon and Haystacker...it's nice to hear your professional opinions. At this point in time I'm not willing to wait the long turn around times for a custom holster but maybe someday. Between the off the shelf brands I'm getting the impression that the general consensus is all are good holsters, but the quality of them does correlate with the listed price tags. In other words,

1. Galco
    2. Aker
    3. DeSantis
    4. Don Hume
    5. Bianchi
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

I have spoken to Galco salesman on the phone twice and I will say that I am very impressed by their friendliness, talkativeness and general knowledge. When I asked about the quality control issues I was basically laughed at; he said comparing Galco to other brands like Don Hume or DeSantis was like comparing a luxury car to a cheap knock off...that Galco has a top of the line reputation and produces the finest quality non-custom holsters. Unfortunately I do not know enough to know if it is true or if he is just being a salesman.

It seems this thread is only making my OWB choice more difficult! I wish there was an "obvious choice"!

Galco also has a no-questions asked return policy, and they did allow you to return your belt, so it's not fair to say that they don't stand behind their products. I have a Galco SB3 belt on the way....out of curiosity which model were you dissatisfied with?
    I bought my belt from a dealer not Galco.

When I called Galco to state that their "reinforced gun belt" now was no longer staright... but had conformed to my waist, I asked why and is it really "reinforced? Galco advised that they no longer use a polymer insert and use a polymer backing. All the C/S lady offered was for me to return it to them and they would look at it from a quality control standpoint. I stated that if I was going to have to pay for shipping, and the time without a belt... and the risk that they will just say that the belt was made properly... then what... I still have a belt that is no longer perfectly straight (which a kydex reinforced belt will always be)!!!

I just sent my belt back to the dealer I bought it from and they credited me back right away and agreed that the belt and/or Galco's manufacturing has suffered. The dealer, even stated that they to have always sold Galco belts as reinforced and and were not aware that Galco no longer used a polymer/Kydex insert (I guess to save money). Bottom line, it was the dealer that took care of me, not Galco.
    Springfield XDM 40cal
    Safariland Double Magazine Duty Pouch
    High Noon "Slide Guard" Holster - Leather (OWB)
    BladeTech "Eclipse" Holster - Kydex (OWB)
    Aker Reinforced Gun Belt (Leather & Polymer)
    Wilderness Tactical/Operator Belt (Kydex Reinforced)

VIP Member
    Being a lefty I usually need a big company full of product to buy off the shelf. That being the case I buy a bunch of stuff from Galco. I have at least four of their holsters and a gun belt. I have had no complaints other than they are a bit pricey for an off the shelf product.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Thanks everyone for the additional opinions and information, especially High Noon and Haystacker...it's nice to hear your professional opinions. At this point in time I'm not willing to wait the long turn around times for a custom holster but maybe someday. Between the off the shelf brands I'm getting the impression that the general consensus is all are good holsters, but the quality of them does correlate with the listed price tags. In other words,

1. Galco
    2. Aker
    3. DeSantis
    4. Don Hume
    5. Bianchi
    Try this it will get the job done in a big way, in stock and $49.95 http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Prod...kin_guard.html

We also have a rush service http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Rush...h_service.html

Justin

My favorite non-custom maker is Kirkpatrick Leather. I have two of their Texas Strong Side holsters for my Glock and M&P. They make good stuff, give them a look.
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

jyo
    I have this model for my HK P2000/USP Compact---both in 9mm---I think it is very well-built---I really like the idea of the pre-formed pouch and the sight channel---also I prefer the idea of the less leather, the better, especially on a rig you are trying to conceal---I have been a "gun guy" for over fifty years and am quite picky about leather gear---i own leather by some of the greats, Gordon Davis, Sparks, etc. and I consider most Galco products to be very good for their price.

Well, I've got to plug Pure Kustom's Black Ops Pro, can't beat it, and Rocky's fun to talk to!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Seconded for Pure Kustom. Though I think my next from Rocky will be a regular Black-Ops and not the pro. Turns out I've not once used the tuckability of the pro.

As far as wait times ... from phone call to door-step for mine was about two weeks. WELL WORTH THE WAIT!
    Billy
    Fusion Tact-5 in a Pure Kustom Black-Ops Pro
    Glock 23 in a Barber Leatherworks IWB

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links