Galco Concealable...quality control?

This is a discussion on Galco Concealable...quality control? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was interested in the Galco Con holster so I checked out some pictures. I noticed that they all look very different. I realize that ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Galco Concealable...quality control?

Galco Concealable...quality control?

I was interested in the Galco Con holster so I checked out some pictures. I noticed that they all look very different. I realize that the holster must be modified some for the different guns but even characteristic traits seemed to be different...such as the presence or lack of a flap of a patch of leather on the outside to hold the gun more firmly in place, the presence or lack of stitching around the belt loops, etc. Basic stuff...

Here are two high res shots of the exact same model, CON286B. I also included one for the PPS because its about the same size yet the holster looks so very different. I am curious if all these differences are due to poor quality control or to them changing the design over time. It would be nice to know what to expect before making a purchase. If anyone can explain please chime in!

"In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

2. Remove Ads

It's a mass-produced factory. Break time looks like the Tijuana express.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    It's a mass-produced factory. Break time looks like the Tijuana express.
    Nailed it.

I have had many "factory" holsters, and I currently own three Galcos. Given their location of production, I am sure AZ Husker is very correct. That being said though, They are the best made factory rigs I have seen out there save going to a custom maker. Bianchi quality is very shoddy any more, and Safariland doesnt make a true leather rig. Don Hume and Desantis seem to make very nice stuff, as well as Aker. The Concealable is a well made holster, my friend has one for his Gold Cup.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    I have had many "factory" holsters, and I currently own three Galcos. Given their location of production, I am sure AZ Husker is very correct. That being said though, They are the best made factory rigs I have seen out there save going to a custom maker. Bianchi quality is very shoddy any more, and Safariland doesnt make a true leather rig. Don Hume and Desantis seem to make very nice stuff, as well as Aker. The Concealable is a well made holster, my friend has one for his Gold Cup.
    Thanks for the tip about Aker, I hadn't heard about them. I'm really looking for a simple quality OWB holster that has nice leatherwork, something that I will primarily wear under a suit coat. Obviously I prefer cheaper but I'm willing to pay extra if my money is actually buying something. The reason I started looking at the Galco Concealable is because they have good reviews and their leather has a good finish. Honestly, I would expect a company running a big assembly line to have a very consistent process that produces holsters all looking the same which is why I was so surprised to see what appears to be completely different holsters being marketed with the same model number. I think I am just going to call them up and see what they have to say.

In the meantime here is a comparison of several holsters I am looking at. I was wondering if I would be right to assume that the Done Hume doesn't hold the gun quite as tight, due to not having a flap of leather that extends up from the belt line like the others. I'm also curious if there is any difference between the belt loops that are curved vs straight...do the curved ones slide around more? There's quite a lot of price differential between these...the Galco and High Noon are almost twice as expensive as Don Hume, DeSantis, and Aker seems to be the middle. What I'm trying to figure out is does this higher cost actually imply a better product?

I guess I could have also included Kramer, Alessi, Bianchi in this lineup...

Then there's some really expensive ones like Brommeland Def-Con for $150-$180 but again, not sure what this buys me..
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

I have 2 Galco Miami Classic II's For production gear, it's first rate IMO. Their stuff is priced reasonably as well

What makes a pistol fit well in the holster is the molding. I noticed on the picture of the Aker, Desantis and High Noon they use a retention screw. This is supposed to allow you to adjust the retention of the holster.
    Also, what I think is important is to look at where the product is made, the weight (thickness) and type of leather. Is the leather from US tanneries? Generally the "best" leather is considered to be Herman Oak or Wickett and Craig. Obviously this is subjective, but they are US tanneries.
    I'm not sure what you mean about the Don Hume not holding the gun as tight because of the lack of a flap of leather extending up?? Again, the retention is made from the tight molding, or as seen, with a retention screw.
    And the belt slots - straight or curved? - I believe the most important thing on the belt slots is how tight they fit the belt. In other words, if your belt is 1.5 inches wide, the belt slots should be 1.5 inches wide. The reason is when you draw your weapon you don't have to over come the slack from slots that are too big.
    Hope this helps.
    NRA Life Member

The Galco for my CDP looks good along with the stitching the gun fits well it keeps the weapon close to my body. Looking forward to the Beltmans delivery in the next few weeks to see how much better my holsters will ride with a good belt. Good luck thanks for the post
    Attached Images
    Last edited by rson63; February 1st, 2011 at 07:37 PM.

I can honestly not recommend the Aker, the leather inside my 166A holster is extremely rough and was able to eat through the parkerization on my gun in no time flat. That's not what bothers me the most though; what bothers me the most is the little piece of glued in leather that holds into the ejection port on my 1911 so tightly that I have to hold down my belt with my left hand to draw the gun with my right.

As for the curved belt loops, all they really do is aid in sliding it onto a properly sized belt. The Aker has 1.75" loops and was a nightmare to get on my Wilderness C.S.M. lined 1.75" belt at first.

Get a Galco, or do yourself a favor and get something worth having like a High Noon (I've heard the Skin series is great and you get them in three or four days) or Fist. Support the little holster makers if you can, lest they disappear!

CMR
    I cannot say anything good about Galco. I've also had QC issues with a couple holsters that I returned to the gunshop where I bought them. Same goes for High Noon, had the stitching come undone on a holster and my experience with them left a bad taste in my mouth.
    I do like Aker, I have three of their holsters. Haven't noticed any issues with them. My two "go to" holster makers are Don Hume and DeSantis. DeSantis has really impressed me over the years and Don Hume has excellent customer service. (And both make great holsters for the price!!)
    For a lot of people, being a victim is a way of Life. That's a Life I choose NOT to live.

A Shepherd must tend to his Flock. And at times........fight off the wolves.

Get a Kramer horsehide Belt Scabbard. Last holster you'll ever need to buy.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Our American Heritage utilizes a belt tunnel which will keep your holster tight to your side forever. The unlined, bull hide version is reasonably priced at $65.00. However, I would recommend adding the full lining option, which upgrades the entire holster to Hermann Oak Leather. Smooth out Hermann Oak Leather is easier to clean and protects your guns finish better than rough out leather, and other materials used to make holsters. American Heritage

Picture below is lined, dyed, and includes contrast panels.
    Last edited by gimike; February 1st, 2011 at 06:14 PM. Reason: correction
    The Second Amendment is clear, concise, and not open to interpretation.

Quote Originally Posted by gimike View Post
    Our American Heritage utilizes a belt tunnel which will keep your holster tight to your side forever. The unlined, bull hide version is reasonably priced at $65.00. However, I would recommend adding the full lining option, which upgrades the entire holster to Hermann Oak Leather. Smooth out Hermann Oak Leather is easier to clean and protects your guns finish better than rough out leather, and other materials used to make holsters. American Heritage
    I ordered mine just about two weeks ago, so when I get it I'll post up some pictures for everyone to see as well!

They are handmade, so you won't find two holsters that are alike. I also believe they are made in AZ.
    http://www.usgalco.com/About.asp

I really like my Highnoon "SlideGuard" OWB holster. I got the black leather/lined version in order to protect the finish of my gun and reading on their site that it is synthetic and does not retain moisture. The "molding" is great and it rides high and tight as Highnoon advertised.... so I am sure that no matter which model you would order form them, that it would work just as well and be made just as well.

The "Slideguard" model I bought has 1-3/4" belt loops and works well, but even Highnoon states that 1-1/2" is preferred (which is good for me, as 1-1/2" is my everyday belt size that I wear for casual and dress.

Here is the Highnoon Holster Company Warrenty information. It does not get any simplier and easier than this..... this is why I gave them a try, as they will stand behind their products!!!
    http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Guar...guarantee.html

BTW, I bought a Galco "reinforced gun belt"... and it was junk and not reinforced... so I returned it after 2 weeks and bought an Aker gun belt (Leather & Kydex) from Galls Police Supply. I can only expect that maybe Galco's holsters are just as bad or do not live up to their "marketing hype"?????
    Springfield XDM 40cal
    Safariland Double Magazine Duty Pouch
    High Noon "Slide Guard" Holster - Leather (OWB)
    BladeTech "Eclipse" Holster - Kydex (OWB)
    Aker Reinforced Gun Belt (Leather & Polymer)
    Wilderness Tactical/Operator Belt (Kydex Reinforced)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links