How to Avoid the "Holster Drawer of Doom!"

This is a discussion on How to Avoid the "Holster Drawer of Doom!" within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all, As part of my Side Guard Holsters Blog I have a new 7 part series of posts on, How to Avoid the "Holster ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Avoid the "Holster Drawer of Doom!"

Hello all,

As part of my Side Guard Holsters Blog I have a new 7 part series of posts on, How to Avoid the "Holster Drawer of Doom!"

Just like it sounds I share a number of things to look out for and understand to limit having a holster end up in the dreaded holster drawer or box. Take a look at the posts and let me know your thoughts through comments.

Hope it helps provide some insights into choosing a holster for you.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Distinguished Member
    Lemme guess:

Part 1: "Buy Sideguard holster"
    Part 2: See Part 1
    Part 3: See Part 2
    Part 4....

Just teasing...

Looking forward to reading it!

Looks like it's going to be a decent series. Any tips I can get on avoiding a bad purchase will help. Although I'm getting much better at picking out holsters these days. I just buy custom.

I still use the Minimal Snap I got from you a couple years ago. It still works great!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

The next post is up on Get A Good Belt. I will be adding new posts every 1 to 2 days.

Thanks for looking.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Carry "Mexican". JK It looks as though you may be able to save readers some $$.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Carry "Mexican". JK It looks as though you may be able to save readers some $$.
    They may want to keep their family jewels as least I would
    MNBurl

It's too late. I have, I think, three shoe boxes of top of the line holsters for guns that have long gone and some that I still use. Maybe it's time for a Spring Yard Sale. And belts - well I'm in the business so I have samples of most everyones and would not even want to count.

But a great thread - keep em coming.....
    NRA Member
    Certified Firearms Instructor
    Semper Fi

What I've been learning as I go along is that there really won't be much in the way "killer bargains" in this area unless you get really lucky.

I've had good results with a Mitch Rosen and a High Noon Split Decision for the SR9c. The Safariland belt has also improved the setup immeasurably. Expect to spend a bit on a good holster and belt combo.

Part of the expense is that you may (like me) want OWB, IWB, and shoulder carry options, depending on the situation and your clothing. Also, the video series on YouTube posted by our own limatunes is quite informative.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ABC111 View Post
    It's too late. I have, I think, three shoe boxes...
    I only have one. But it held size 14 work boots, so it's fair sized.

Then again, I went the route of buying several cheap holsters at first to decide what features work for me. Still cheaper than buying a couple $150 "wonder-holsters" and finding out they don't fit my needs...

But I will say that part one sounds like it will probably be the most vital section. IMHO, an el-cheapo holster will carry better on a quality gunbelt than any Sparks, Rosen, Alessi or DelFatti will on a Wal-Mart special belt.

edit: your entry begins with:
    A great holster with a woven leather or fabric belt will doom the best holster to the “Holster Drawer of Doom.”
    so I guess you would agree!

After buying many expensive holsters, I most often carry a $12 Uncle Mike's nylon pocket holster with a KEL-TEC p-32.

gold40

You mean I'm supposed to have a drawer (or box) for them all???? Usually at least half of my holster collection is floating around in my truck. But hey, it's because I'm using them - so I guess it's not the "drawer of doom" but it does make getting dressed on a cold morning a bit more interesting
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    This comment affects me as well as others, but:

If your holster maker has a "satisfaction guarantee", use it. If it doesn't fit your needs, why keep it? Makers offer that for a reason, not just lip service. It's rare that someone asks for a return, just because they don't like it, but I have done it for people.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I was doing good until I bit at a sale on Fobus, now that is one for the back of the drawer.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

I differ here in that I do not see a vast holster collection as a bad thing. If you have as little as three different handguns, it is not suprising to need at least 3 or 4 different holsters for each one. That's 9-12 holsters right there alone.
    For instance, this weekend, I will be carrying 2 glocks out of town with me. For each one I have an IWB, OWB, and a paddle holster. They will all be utilized for different reasons. The paddle holster will be used as we travel for the quick on/off feature to allow maximum comfort while driving, but allow me to be armed for stops, and the others for different dress attire as required

You don't have to own alot of guns for the holsters to stack up.
    I too have holsters for guns that I no longer own, but they are there if I ever want to have another gun that fits them, they are paid for, and not costing me anything to keep them. They will however go up in cost to replace them.

Nothing wrong with a box of holsters. Just like nothing wrong with different calibers and guns, IMO.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Yeah, I have a small collection of never and rarely used holsters.

A while back someone started a holster exchange website. Can't remember their address. Sorry.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links