Conceal Carry Belts.....A Newbie Needs Belt Infomation...

This is a discussion on Conceal Carry Belts.....A Newbie Needs Belt Infomation... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; New to CC. Have ordered a IWB holster.........started looking at belts and for the most part they are pretty pricey, 70-100 bucks for a belt ...

Thread: Conceal Carry Belts.....A Newbie Needs Belt Infomation...

Conceal Carry Belts.....A Newbie Needs Belt Infomation...

New to CC. Have ordered a IWB holster.........started looking at belts and for the most part they are pretty pricey, 70-100 bucks for a belt seems like a lot (to me anyway).......I know IDPA has requirements for belts but just for "normal" conceal carry can I get some help on what to look for in a CC belt? From the photos they look like normal "high quality" belts (except for the Tactical belts).....Have seen references to Velcro on the inside........will normally be carrying a 4 inch 1911 Kimber (28 oz. empty) and maybe one extra magazine. What features should one look for or stay away from is a CC belt......thanks

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Gunbelts are generally thicker and stiffer than ordinary belts. They need to be in order to distribute the gun's weight evenly. This is essential when carrying a heavy gun.

An ordinary belt will last for awhile, but will eventually begin to sag under the weight. Thye last thing you want is for your edc to start flopping around on your waist.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

soundhd;

A good quality gun belt is a must for all day carry. It will distribute the weight of your firearm for a comfortable experience.

A quality dual layered Bull Hide gun belt will serve you well and last for years.

Take a look at our website and if we can help - just let us know.
    NRA Member
    Certified Firearms Instructor
    Semper Fi

Yeah, good gunbelts are more expensive but they ARE worth it. They DO make a big diffrence! I bought these belts and they've served me wonderfully. ABC111's stuff look really good too. (I'd look at them closely. I'm thinking I'll be ordering from them for my next purchase)
    Regardless of IWB or OWB carry, a quality gun belt is a must for comfort and keeping your sidearm where you want it.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

cj
    There are a range of options and prices. The least expensive one that most seem happy with are the 'Instructor' type of belts (with Wilderness being one of the most popular) which probably fall under the 'tactical' category...basically a double layer of thick nylon webbing with rows of stitching giving it some extra stiffness, then a loop-through type buckle and velcro to hold the end down. Other manufacturers make similar designs as well.

Mass produced ones are probably next in the price spectrum...like 5.11 leather. Decent quality, but many claim they don't hold up as well as higher end belts. These are what I currently use since I got a bunch at good prices and sold the ones I couldn't modify to fit to the forum at cost...the main problem I've had so far is touching up the leather...none of the separation of layers I've heard about.

Next up would be the custom makers. More expensive, but I pretty much think they'd last a lifetime.

I have been concealed carrying with the same belt for 15+ years. I mean SAME belt. It has carried a BHP, 1911, G17, G29, multiple revolvers, and G27.

Wilderness original instructor belt: http://www.thewilderness.com/storepi...309&parent=142

40 bucks

Here is a couple good belts/site that will answer all your questions and give you some information needed to get started. Good luck

http://www.looperlawenforcement.com/...ster-belt.html
    http://www.thebeltman.net/bh112.htm

I carry w/a Beltman belt. Very stiff works for me.

Beltman offers a quality product at reasonable price. TONS of belts on the market, just like holsters.

I have a 5.11 tactical trainer belt that's double thick webbing and has a steel buckle that could cave someones head in if need be. It carries great.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/511-T...&Ntt=5.11+belt

My wife has the Wilderness Tactical Frequent Flyer belt with the stiffener. She likes it, and it handles her XDE 9mm sc in an OWB holster very well.

http://www.thewilderness.com/storepi...503&parent=142

Both were under $40. They are both nylon webbing. If you need something dressy, these might not work. A good belt makes a lot of difference.
    Last edited by chiefjason; February 4th, 2011 at 12:27 AM. Reason: price change, isle 2
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I carry a full sized 5" Kimber. Depending on circumstances, I use a Galco IWB or a Galco OWB holster. I have both a Galco leather belt and a Wilderness nylon Instructor belt. Believe what others here have said -- a good gun belt is worth the money! They give much better support and are much more comfortable when carrying all day. And while a good one is more expensive than a regular belt, a good one will outlast several cheaper ones, making it a bargain in the long run.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Quote Originally Posted by ABC111 View Post
    soundhd;

A good quality gun belt is a must for all day carry. It will distribute the weight of your firearm for a comfortable experience.

A quality dual layered Bull Hide gun belt will serve you well and last for years.

Take a look at our website and if we can help - just let us know.
    soundhd,
    Al makes a great leather gun belt and has some of the best customer service I have ever recieved. I use 3 of his 1.25" belts because I frequently wear suits or dress slacks and a 1.50" belt will not fit through the belt loops on those pants. I carry a Government or Commander 1911 all day with no issues. I enjoy the hell out of Al's belts. I have two Wilderness Instructor belts, but never wear them.

GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Always remember to fit your holster loops to your belt!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Ditto on Al's belts........I have (2) of them and wear them everyday.
    b.

Links