CTAC vs MTAC - Anybody have experience with both?

This is a discussion on CTAC vs MTAC - Anybody have experience with both? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you have experience using both the CTAC and MTAC holsters, preferably carrying the same gun, what are your impressions?...

Thread: CTAC vs MTAC - Anybody have experience with both?

If you have experience using both the CTAC and MTAC holsters, preferably carrying the same gun, what are your impressions?
    The Founders Got It Right - Back To The Constitution
    NRA (Life) - GOA (Life) - NAGR - GOSC (Life)

I have both holsters for carrying my G23. I first bought the CTAC, shortly thereafter Comp-Tac came out with the MTAC.....I purchased that one too.

The CTAC is an excellent IWB holster, tuckable, very adjustable, and thin......all big selling points for me. The kydex construction left a little to be desired WRT comfort, but my dremel took care of the sharp edges.

The MTAC is everything the CTAC is except slightly thicker (not enough to make any 'real' diffrence). The MTAC's leather back makes a HUGE diffrence in comfort, especially during warmer months when a tee or polo (only) is my cover shirt. It did take the MTAC a couple of weeks to 'break-in' around my gun (and my spare-tire) but after that short period there have been no issues or concerns.

Both holsters get used but the 'nod' goes to the MTAC for my first choice. I'm in Georgia and your weather is nearly mirrored of ours here.....hot, humid summers being the overall consideration.
    If I need concealment with minimal clothing due to heat, MTAC is it. My CTAC is now primarlly regulated to 'deep concealment' use when I'll be wearing an under-shirt (most of the time anyway). I put some C clips on it and you can NOT see the clips unless your really looking. With my shirt tucked and bloused, NOBODY knows I'm carrying.
    Same with the MTAC, but I keep the standard clips on that one due to that holster is subjected to a little more 'abuse'.

If your looking for an opinion on which one to get, purchase the MTAC. There are little 'modifications' that can be done to the CTAC (ie: mole skin placed on the kydex that touches skin) to help with the 'comfort-factor', however my overall recomendation goes to the MTAC.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I only own the MTAC but there is no question about the two just by looking at the pictures. Do you want the ruff leather and fasteners against your skin or snagging on your under shirt or do you want a nice smooth piece of leather against your skin? Spend the extra money and get the MTAC or if you a a little handy get the CTAC and add a light piece of leather to it.

Been wearing an MTAC and a Kahr cw40 for 2 years know and have no complaints. Just ordered a MTAC for my new XD 40 service model in case I want to carry it. I found the holster comfortable out of the box but it took me a few days to set the cant just right. After 2 or 3 weeks the leather works in and the holster really feels good. Once you figure out the cant don't be afraid to cut off the excess plastic on the belt clips and sand them smooth. I think I took off 1 hole on the rear clip and 2 on the front clip.

I own a C-Tac for a Sig P228, and an M-Tac for my M&Pc. The sig is slightly longer, wider, and has a full size grip. I've carried allot in both, and if I had to choose between the two, I'd go for the M-Tac. The leather makes it allot more comfortable. The hard kydex slide guard on the C-Tac diggs into my side. It's not unbearable, but is noticable; this may likely differ based on a person's build. The one benefit the the C-Tac, is that it is the slimmest profile you will find, so if that's a major concern, it is a good holser.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I have both holsters for a G27. I don't use the M-Tac for the following reason: I found that the retention force on the C-Tac, which has kydex on both the inner and outer sides, is precisely adjustable to suit my preference. Not so on the M-Tac, because the slight bend in the leather side made by its being clamped to my hip exerts a variable retention force that I cannot control to my satisfaction.

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    If your looking for an opinion on which one to get, purchase the MTAC. There are little 'modifications' that can be done to the CTAC (ie: mole skin placed on the kydex that touches skin) to help with the 'comfort-factor', however my overall recomendation goes to the MTAC.
    Thank you for your detailed and thoughtful answer - very helpful!

What you have told me is pretty much what I had surmised, but I did wonder if the CTAC was enough thinner than the MTAC to make that a big factor.

Quote Originally Posted by muddy View Post
    I only own the MTAC but there is no question about the two just by looking at the pictures. Do you want the ruff leather and fasteners against your skin or snagging on your under shirt or do you want a nice smooth piece of leather against your skin? Spend the extra money and get the MTAC...
    Are you, maybe, comparing the MTAC and the Spartan which is a less finished and less expensive version of the MTAC? The CTAC is all kydex. The price of the MTAC and CTAC is now $80 for both.

Quote Originally Posted by MSteve View Post
    ...if I had to choose between the two, I'd go for the M-Tac. The leather makes it allot more comfortable. The hard kydex slide guard on the C-Tac diggs into my side...
    Thanks! Think we've got a trend developing here.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    ...I don't use the M-Tac for the following reason: I found that the retention force on the C-Tac, which has kydex on both the inner and outer sides, is precisely adjustable to suit my preference. Not so on the M-Tac...
    Interesting! I can see how that would be the case. I guess I am not that particular about the degree of retention. Or, to say it another way, I would choose comfort over finer adjust-ability of retention.

Quote Originally Posted by kudzu View Post
    Interesting! I can see how that would be the case. I guess I am not that particular about the degree of retention. Or, to say it another way, I would choose comfort over finer adjust-ability of retention.
    I had the same question about the retention right after I got my Mtac.......it just didn't 'feel' right. After the break in period and testing the retention a little myself, I surmised it was just fine. It still is....no worries.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Sponsored Links