Appendix Carry - Comfortable, Concealable, Quickest

This is a discussion on Appendix Carry - Comfortable, Concealable, Quickest within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ssmtbracer I Have a G30 also and was wondering what holster are you using? It's not considered a conventional holster,.. I use ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Appendix Carry - Comfortable, Concealable, Quickest

los
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmtbracer View Post
    I Have a G30 also and was wondering what holster are you using?
    It's not considered a conventional holster,.. I use a MIC.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

2. Remove Ads

I have been carrying since I turned 21 and received my permit in the mail, nearly 30yrs ago. I have carried in every position on the body and I liked some aspects of all positions.

However, after training for this long in the manner that I train, I have come to the conclusion that for my situations and lifestyle that pocket carry is the ultimate for me. I make a habit of going about my business with my right hand in my pocket on my gun most of the time when in areas that warrant due diligence. I have also discovered through trial at the range that I can have 2 rounds on target from pocket carry before I can sweep a garment and clear leather with the gun from any position on my body. Also, I figure that if my attacker can have his hand on his gun, I can have my hand on my gun.

I pocket carry a semi and a j-frame.

Like I said, this is just me....YMMV.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I have carried off and on AIWB since the 1980s, starting with a now-discontinued Desantis vertical IWB that was made to be somewhat universal. I moved on to some excellent Eagle Industries nylon fabric IWB holsters, also now discontinued. As I carry my duty pistol at 0300, AIWB is generally for a second weapon, as I like to always wear the primary weapon at 0300, 24/7. When I either retire or move to a permanent plainclothes assignment, I may transition to AIWB as the primary carry spot, by working to build plenty of "muscle memory" over time. (Actually, muscles don't remember; it is the brain.)

Lately, I have started wearing an SP101 at appendix in a Kramer Crossdraw, outside the pants, when wearing a certain cover garment. Now that One Source Tactical now lists kydex AIWB holsters for the P229, I want to try one soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Malchira View Post
    At the risk of bucking the positive trend, unless I've completely misunderstood how AIWB works, isn't it a direct violation of firearms safety rule #2? It seems like the muzzle would be pointing at either one's leg or crotch, if not standing then certainly when sitting.
    Only applies when handling the weapon. Or you can be concerned every time you bend over while wearing yours in the 3:00 position. Shoulder holsters would be a strict no-no as well.

To the OP:

I wear mine in front-crossdraw OWB (at 11:00) for most of your given reasons, but I will add one more that gives it an extra "point". The ability to draw with either hand (cavalry draw).
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Appendix is a great option for women who want carry on body, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jrfctx View Post
    Appendix is a great option for women who want carry on body, as well.
    Yep...it's where my wife carries.
    Kimber Tactical Ultra II, Kahr PM45, Kahr PM9, Kahr P380

I am gonna have to try this type of carry.......

Quote Originally Posted by JPCleary View Post
    Yep...it's where my wife carries.
    Mine too!
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    well I guess I'm the odd man out. My HN Mr. Softy arrived and I've been trying appendix carry. I don't think it's the right method for me. I'm too dang skinny and it's very uncomfortable. I was really hoping this would be a nice alternative for carry.

I recently changed my appendix holster to ride about half an inch higher than I had it before, and found it to be more comfortable for me. Before, the gun would dig in under my ribs and into my pelvis when I sat. Now, the slide rides up over my rib when I bend at the waist, and it helped a lot. I'm starting to wonder if a larger gun might actually work just as well.

Quote Originally Posted by redbeardsong View Post
    I recently changed my appendix holster to ride about half an inch higher than I had it before, and found it to be more comfortable for me. Before, the gun would dig in under my ribs and into my pelvis when I sat. Now, the slide rides up over my rib when I bend at the waist, and it helped a lot. I'm starting to wonder if a larger gun might actually work just as well.
    It seems counter-intuitive, but I think you are right. I have carried both an S&W 6946 and an FNP9 AIWB. The 6946 (the smaller of the two) is less comfortable because it does tend to dig in to the bottom of my rib cage. When I carry the FNP9, it is easy to forget it is there. Both conceal just fine.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

You guys are getting me antsy to receive my Sideguard holster for my LCR. I was shooting for appendix carry, but after reading some reviews or posts or something, actually asked to have it ride lower that usual.

PA that is what I use to carry my J frame AIWB. I them lower it to the belt line and I find it a well made comfortable holster. It will be worth the wait.

Thanks, Cams!

Quote Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
    I'd like to find a holster with a backward cant for appendix. I'm rt-handed, guess I could get a Crossdraw holster with an extreme cant and move it to 1:00. Think that would work?

The appendix is good for carry in most activities for me except sitting - and then it feels noticeably uncomfortable.
    I am about to give this a try. I talked to Eric at HBE Leatherworks and he is doing a Driving Belt holster for me with as much rearward cant as possible so that I can try it in the appendix position. I have tried this approach with my Serpa with as much rearward cant as it can do and it seems to work. The goal is to basically have the barrel on one side of my leg and the grip on the other side which should make it more comfortable sitting. One of the main reasons I am trying this is due to a range of motion problem with my shoulder and this should help with the draw since it doesn't require as much shoulder movement.

I'll let you know how it works.
    NRA Life Member

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links