Appendix Carry - Comfortable, Concealable, Quickest - Page 4

Appendix Carry - Comfortable, Concealable, Quickest

This is a discussion on Appendix Carry - Comfortable, Concealable, Quickest within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am waiting on a sideguard tuck clip for my J frame. Should I have it lowered for appendix carry?...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I am waiting on a sideguard tuck clip for my J frame. Should I have it lowered for appendix carry?

Quote Originally Posted by AceHi View Post
    I am about to give this a try. I talked to Eric at HBE Leatherworks and he is doing a Driving Belt holster for me with as much rearward cant as possible so that I can try it in the appendix position. I have tried this approach with my Serpa with as much rearward cant as it can do and it seems to work. The goal is to basically have the barrel on one side of my leg and the grip on the other side which should make it more comfortable sitting. One of the main reasons I am trying this is due to a range of motion problem with my shoulder and this should help with the draw since it doesn't require as much shoulder movement.

I'll let you know how it works.
    Yeah, thanks - is it clip-on? See, I want to be able to use it Between the Belt and Pants - so that requires a clip-on IWB - then you just modify placement.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommys View Post
    I am waiting on a sideguard tuck clip for my J frame. Should I have it lowered for appendix carry?
    Thats gonna be a personal preference thing. Many prefer a full grip on the firearm. I however prefer the grip to ride just above the belt for comfort reasons. I have never drawn my gun nor have I had any formal training. I just know that with it riding lower it prints none. I can conceal in just a t shirt. This is how I carry be it my 642 or my Glock 19. I find it the most comfortable and the easiest place to conceal. Especially being in a hugging community.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Hey Gabe,

What IWBA carry holster would you recommend that allows a shirt tail to be tucked?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    Hey Gabe,

What IWBA carry holster would you recommend that allows a shirt tail to be tucked?

Thanks
    High Noon's "Hidden Alley" is a great tuckable AIWB. Not too expensive either.
    Honor is self-esteem made visible in action. - Ayn Rand

I appendix carry all day long

Dale Fricke Archangels for the Glocks 29SF and 17
    High Noon Mr. Softy for the 357 revolver

IMG_1032 (Large).jpgIMG_0863 (Large).jpg

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by satori59 View Post
    High Noon's "Hidden Alley" is a great tuckable AIWB. Not too expensive either.
    Thanks satori.

I had not yet settled on a carry method when I took Gabe's Close Range Gunfighting class in 2005....

I had bursitis then so behind the back was impractical.
    I had a shoulder holster, I experimented with the holster at 3:00....
    but neither of those positions worked well for me, ESPECIALLY in FOF.

So I started carrying in appendix position, and because I am short waisted, I cant my pistol down by my crotch, almost like crossdraw.
    I've discovered that there and the opposite side in more of a traditional crossdraw position works better for me.
    But Appendix inside the waistband is more stable.
    If I am driving for extended periods, I find an almost horizontal crossdraw is more comfortable.

If I were carrying a pistol with a 4 inch+ barrel, crossdraw might be my only acceptable method.

I am not worried about shooting myself THERE, I consider that much less likely than a surprise airbag deployment without a crash.

Don't get wrapped up about "RULE 2". A gun is not an "ALWAYS ON" death ray, and treating it as such just isn't helpful.

Take it out, shoot who you have to, and CAREFULLY re-holster. Nobody ever won a fight by how fast he re-holstered.
    I feel safer looking down to re-holster than reaching back and feeling around. Not what I would want to do after a gunfight.

HOWEVER you carry, practice with your method where the range-nazis won't shut you down.
    Carrying is one thing; drawing and shooting is quite another.

What works for 30 people may not work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by TravisABQ View Post
    I had not yet settled on a carry method when I took Gabe's Close Range Gunfighting class in 2005....

I had bursitis then so behind the back was impractical.
    I had a shoulder holster, I experimented with the holster at 3:00....
    but neither of those positions worked well for me, ESPECIALLY in FOF.

So I started carrying in appendix position, and because I am short waisted, I cant my pistol down by my crotch, almost like crossdraw.
    I've discovered that there and the opposite side in more of a traditional crossdraw position works better for me.
    But Appendix inside the waistband is more stable.
    If I am driving for extended periods, I find an almost horizontal crossdraw is more comfortable.

If I were carrying a pistol with a 4 inch+ barrel, crossdraw might be my only acceptable method.

I am not worried about shooting myself THERE, I consider that much less likely than a surprise airbag deployment without a crash.

Don't get wrapped up about "RULE 2". A gun is not an "ALWAYS ON" death ray, and treating it as such just isn't helpful.

Take it out, shoot who you have to, and CAREFULLY re-holster. Nobody ever won a fight by how fast he re-holstered.
    I feel safer looking down to re-holster than reaching back and feeling around. Not what I would want to do after a gunfight.

HOWEVER you carry, practice with your method where the range-nazis won't shut you down.
    Carrying is one thing; drawing and shooting is quite another.

What works for 30 people may not work for you.
    What kind of holster do you use that has that cant? I don't understand why they make Appendix-carry holsters with a cant. would be so much more comfortable sitting. Maybe a driving holster would do it. Parallel to the belt.

I have a Comp-tac which adjusts back and forth.... but it is an OUTSIDE the WB design. On a wide belt, and with cover I like it better than the one o'clock holster..... that one is just about straight up and down. It can be used as a crossdraw, but it is not like some of these driving holsters that I have seen.

Before this I think I was using a FIST holster with thin Kydex don't recall the designation.

Has anyone had experience with the "Appendix Carry Rig" by Cane and Derby?
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

So today I tried appendix carrying the SR9c with the High Noon Split Decision IWB.

Normally I carry IWB or OWB at 4 o'clock or so. This was more like 1 or 2.

What I found was that the gun seemed less stable. This is a very comfortable way to carry, and easy to conceal, but the grip seemed to shift a bit and I had to reposition it a few times. This is with a 1 1/4 in. belt (5.11). Maybe a 1 1/2 is needed?
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

I also carry in the appendix position some times, but I do it OWB instead. I am short wasted as well and the IWB digs the muzzle into my leg. My newest rig is a Between the belt and pants holster from Rhome Desbins for my PM9 and it works great.

Presentation from appendix position

The appendix position is touted as being faster than strong side.

Due to the many testimonies of it, I suspect that it is true.

My question: what are the deployment steps for appendix carry?

I was trained the basic 4 or 5 step strong side presentation:

1. Thumb to the ribcage; hand down on pistol

2. Pistol comes up to original thumb location on ribcage

3. Elbow drops and pistol rotates into a retentive firing position

4. Pistol begins it's forward path and intercepts the weak support hand, just past the torso

5. Pistol comes into sight picture and the bullet is off.

Is there a similar process for appendix carry? I would think that in order for it to be faster than strong side, one or more of these steps need to be eliminated.

It seems to me that the elbow wouldn't need to drop; it sounds like it's already in a low position to help thrust the pistol forward.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

cmb
    I like AIWB for my snubbie, I use 3:30 IWB for my 1911, and more like 4:30 for my P89, I do like appendix carry and I am starting to work on the tuckable route and see how that goes, thanks for the 11:00 cross draw mentions, I may try that... I like the accessibility of the AIWB in the car...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links