Enjoying OWB carry

This is a discussion on Enjoying OWB carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have always carried IWB for as long as I've had my carry permit. Crossbreed supertucks 99% of the time have been my go to ...

Thread: Enjoying OWB carry

Enjoying OWB carry

I have always carried IWB for as long as I've had my carry permit. Crossbreed supertucks 99% of the time have been my go to holsters, although I have ordered a Kholster for my new m&p 9c to try out as well. The Kholsters have been getting good reviews, and the price / warranty on them is great, so I figured I'd try one out and see how it goes.

ANYHOW! When I picked up the M&P I grabbed a Tagua Quick Draw holster. It is just a simple belt slide holster similar to many others on the market. It was pretty cheap at $30, and my expectations for it weren't all that high. However, it has been very comfortable to carry.

The only problem / complaint that I have with the little holster is that it doesn't hold the top (grip) of the gun in against my body as well as I'd like, which leads to a little bit more printing than I'd like to have. With a coat there is no issue at all maintaining the level of concealment that I prefer, but when the coat comes off there are some printing issues. The comfort of carrying in this manner is wonderful, I'm just curious as to whether or not a better quality OWB holster would be more suitable for keeping the upper portion of the gun in against my body more effectively.

SO!...do any of you all have a recommendation for an OWB holster for the m&p 9c that does a really good job (for you) of holding the grip of the gun in tight?

Again, the comfort of the Tagua holster is GREAT, and for a lot of winter carry with a coat, it is a fine holster. I would just really like to find an OWB that does a little bit better job of concealing the grip of the gun so that I can carry OWB more often, maybe only having to go IWB in the summer months.

Any suggestions?

2. Remove Ads

I'm guessing by the trigger guard outline that the the Quick Draw also has an inner half to it. If it does, try putting the belt on the outside rather than the inside. This should draw the holster in tighter.

Here is an example of a somewhat similar rig with the belt on the outside and it pulls the gun in good and tight. You have to look close as it is black on black.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...=1#post1868122
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Might check your belt also. Needs to be stiff if its a high ride holster. I carry a 226 and a G19 in a Blackhawk CQC holster during the cooler months. I love OWB, but use a CBST the rest of the year.

The belt to the outside of the holster helps a bit...at least just sitting here messing with the rig in the mirror. I will give it a try.

I do need to get another belt before long. The belt I have now is 1 3/4" and is very thick and heavy, but not all that stiff. I might look into one of the kydex reinforced belts to try out as well. My current belt does great IWB, but perhaps the OWB setup levers on it a little too much.

Thanks for the input gentlemen!

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by msc8127 View Post
    SO!...do any of you all have a recommendation for an OWB holster for the m&p 9c that does a really good job (for you) of holding the grip of the gun in tight?
    Any suggestions?
    Any decent quality pancake, combined with a good belt, should plaster it to your side pretty tight. There is a thread running currently about High Noon and Alessi. I've used pancakes from both companies and can recommend them highly but honestly, if you pick any decent maker, you can find a similar product that should work for you. It will never be as tight as IWB but you can get close.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

I have about 5 or 6 of the #12 Basic OWB from Fist, and you won't find a holster that holds the firearm tightly against the body any better than this one...OMOYMV
    http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/holster/12.htm
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I have about 5 or 6 of the #12 Basic OWB from Fist, and you won't find a holster that holds the firearm tightly against the body any better than this one...OMOYMV
    http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/holster/12.htm
    I've owned 3 FIST holsters and your right. I had a #9, a #9k and a #7k. The kydex versions carried tighter to the body than any OWB holsters I've used. Ugly as sin but they worked great.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Garrett makes the Silent Thunder STX which is similar to a leather pancake style, and the American Heritage which is a pancake but has a belt tunnel mount which will hold the holster tight against your body even if you use a regular belt.
    The Second Amendment is clear, concise, and not open to interpretation.

I carry a Charter Arms Bulldog Pug 44 special. I wear an OWB holster that I made myself. I like the way the holster pulls the revolver close in. I never could get used to IWB.
    NRA Life Member

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by Haystacker View Post
    I carry a Charter Arms Bulldog Pug 44 special. I wear an OWB holster that I made myself. I like the way the holster pulls the revolver close in. I never could get used to IWB.
    Good looking rigs you got there, Mr. Hays!
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Links