Have some doubts about my carry system

This is a discussion on Have some doubts about my carry system within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you're serious about carrying with a WML, then get serious and have a quality maker make a custom holster for you. There are several ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Have some doubts about my carry system

If you're serious about carrying with a WML, then get serious and have a quality maker make a custom holster for you. There are several talented makers that frequent this site; spend some time in the DC holster forums and get to know them

You've invested a lot of time and money into your carry system and mind-set, don't skimp on a holster.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

2. Remove Ads

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by crsuribe View Post
    Also, I was wondering, do you guys know if I absolutely have to order hooks for the Raven holster or does it come with some kinda system installed? I have some c-hooks from my C-tac that I plan on using so I don't have to pay them $20 just for the hooks.
    Phantoms come ready for use as an OWB belt-mounted holster with 1.5" belt loops, and through use of the Eclipse accessories, can be converted to any type of OWB or IWB.
    http://www.ravenconcealmentsystems.c...7e4cb320c80023
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Thanks OD!

Uh I still don't understand why people are talking about pointing my gun at random people. Why in the world would I wanna do that? And how does having a light on it mean I'm going to do that? I'm confused

Thanks OD!

Uh I still don't understand why people are talking about pointing my gun at random people. Why in the world would I wanna do that? And how does having a light on it mean I'm going to do that? I'm confused
    I've drawn my gun on a potential threat, but the only thing I pointed at him was my 3D Maglight. I prefer to keep my gun and light separate, because as everyone else said I don't want to shoot everything/everyone that I want to get a better look at. I use the light daily, the gun, fortunately not so often. If you feel you need the light, keep the light, but take zacii's advice and invest in a good holster - you won't be sorry.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Well I don't use my weapon light as a regular flashlight... I carry a flashlight for that, but if I have to draw my weapon, I'm dropping the flashlight... or not. Depends on the situation, really. I just know I don't draw my gun unless something really bad and inevitable is about to happen, and at that point, I don't wanna have to operate 2 separate objects. I want to hold my gun as firmly as possible, hopefully with both hands and still have access to a decent light in-case I need it.

How much better and more expensive would a custom-made holster be? What are the advantages?

Uh I still don't understand why people are talking about pointing my gun at random people. Why in the world would I wanna do that?
    You wouldn't. I know. I get it.

I carry one on my 21sf. I finally made my own holster for it out of leather.

The Ravens come highly recommended, but I've never tried any of them. Blade-Tech also makes some very nice holsters for WML guns as well. In fact, they have several OWB (and one IWB that doesn't fit your gun) holsters for your gun/light set-up: http://blade-tech.com/Holsters-w-Tac...ght-c-280.html

I carry an additional flashlight (Mag-Lite XL100) in my pocket for illumination purposes, while my WML is for dark and nasty encounters in my woodsy and over-grown property or in the urban setting I frequently find myself in.

I like options. I'm silly like that.
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    i was wondering why all of a sudden you got flamed for your WML, I personally am looking into the option for my duty weapon because like you said, if the shtf i don't wanna be fumbling for a light and a gun, when I could just pull my gun, I also have had my surefire die on me while clearing a building and had to use my maglight under my support hand, let me tell you it sucked after the first minute or so. get a good safariland holster or a shoulder holster and have it modified by a leather maker. Trust me, it will be well worth it
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Most weapon lights have a fair amount of spill so if your target is within SD distance, keeping your pistol at the low ready will provide enough illumination for target ID IMHO. If you need to point your weapon directly at a person for target ID, maybe you have the distance ability to get out of the situation without advancing any further.

Having said that finding an IWB holster for a WML will be tough. Here is a list of companies that make holsters for WML:

www.safariland.com kydex and leather
    www.comp-tac.com kydex
    www.akerleather.com leather
    www.sidearmor.com kydex
    www.themalabarfront.com kydex (Raven Concealment)

There are more, but I don't have a specific list..

My .02 anyway

So far I really like the Raven Concealment Phantom with the MD cut and IWB tuckable soft loops. Just gotta wait a few weeks for the funds.

Hello everybody! I've been lurking here for a few days now and this is my first post. Excellent forum! Lots of good info and great folks! Glad to be here.

Anyway, I carry a Glock 20SF equipped with a TLR-1S weapon light and am getting some Trijicon GL04 night sights to go with it. I take this gun pretty much everywhere I go since it offers everything I want in a pistol. Only problem is its size and weight, but that doesn't bother me very much. Still, the options for carrying this pistol are rather limited, especially because of the light (not a lot of holsters out there that fit this combo), so I've been using an el cheapo shoulder holster, which isn't entirely too bad, just a little uncomfortable AND it makes it kinda hard to access the pistol if I'm wearing a jacket or some kinda garment that's zipped or buttoned all the way up, and this could potentially slow me down or even keep me from presenting my weapon under a stressful situation.

So I've been wondering.. what other options are there? Should I just save up for a little bit and buy an IWB holster that fits the light? They're expensive. OR I could make my own holster out of kydex, which is pretty easy actually.

I don't know, what do you guys think?

This is my current set-up:

[I need to vacuum ]
    here this one the got the gun/light combo
    http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info...roducts_id=138

Sell the light, get an AIWB or IWB holster and take some force on force and point shooting training. Save your money on the night sights as well. They will be of little or no use when you are in defensive mode and running and gunning. Spend it on ammo and training. When you get shot at, I guarantee you wont be two handed gripping that weapon, learn to use it with both hands alright, single handed.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    For your EDC, I would remove the light and get a Fist holster. In situations that require the potential of a light source...add the light or carry a Surefire handheld. I have the Surefire X-300 for my G-21 and I keep the light on the firearm when home, but to carry it somewhere, the light would come off.
    I just bought this one for my G-21 SF... http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/holster/7.htm
    Yep! ^^^ This ^^^

I'm also in the ditch the light camp. I do have the nights sights on my Glock however. Here is my theory...

Why would you want a BG to have a direct line of sight target to you?? I don't. That's why I don't believe in rail lights or lasers mounted to my gun for a SD situation. Sure you can point it at them but it also tips them off to your position!

If anything I would carry one of these...personally the storm. It's small, lightweight, very bright and has a strobe feature to disorient. At least if you held it away from your body using your non-carry hand the target would be your arm and not your head or chest. Just my 2 cents. :)

http://www.novatac.com/

Thanks guys, I appreciate your input!

I'm going with the Raven Concealment Phantom holster. It fits my needs pretty well. Eventually I'll get a better shoulder rig aswell.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    The holster itself is dangerous. I would want a thumb break that I can unbutton with one hand. With a thumb break that is around the grip, it seams like you would need two hands.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links