Yeah...I Know It's Just A Prototype Holster ~ The Radio Frequency I. D. Carry Rig. - Page 2

Yeah...I Know It's Just A Prototype Holster ~ The Radio Frequency I. D. Carry Rig.

This is a discussion on Yeah...I Know It's Just A Prototype Holster ~ The Radio Frequency I. D. Carry Rig. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 10, 15 years down the road, maybe. The concept holds merit, imagine law enforcement not having to worry about weapon retention actions just subduing the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    10, 15 years down the road, maybe. The concept holds merit, imagine law enforcement not having to worry about weapon retention actions just subduing the individual attacking them. That said there is a lot to be had in the way of function compromise and battery technology. Kind of reminds me when they were saying every gun was going to have a fingerprint reader in it.

Glock Certified Armorer

I don't see how. The LEO's hand is going to go near his holster if a suspect is trying to get his hands on it. It'll unlock anyway. I don't see a practical application to this.

Administrator
    I guess it was a good school project anyway.

I give him a C+

I would love to have batteries run out at the wrong time. Not...
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    First time there is an electronic glitch or a dead battery and it won't unlock a Leo dies. Really really bad idea.

I can't see how anyone that takes personal defense seriously, would use one of these devices. Even if it were nano-sized to be inconspicuous.

What is one going to do when they find themselves in a scrap at can't get the card to read properly?

We live in such a wonderful technological era the credit card machines and bar code scanners can't even work 100%, how can this gizmo?
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

This is obviously made by the kind of people who think you can throw technology at a training issue and get it fixed. Weapon's retention is a training issue. Technology enhances solid training, it does not allow the end user to ignore it.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

And I used to think this was the most over the top holster,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VsHlaWS2xE
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

cj
    I wouldn't laugh too much. This would be enough for California to require all holsters to have them by next year.

Until hackers figure out a way to jam the signals and you have cops running around with weapons stuck in holsters.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    This would be acceptable only with a good BUG. But then if a LEO had a BUG, he wouldn't be in as much of a bind if he lost his primary weapon.

Senior Moderator
    It looks like another tool to appease the anti's.

Now that it out there, some anti-gun politician wanting to make a name for themselves will jump on it and tout it as the best gun innovation of the century. They'll do a multi million "study" on it at the restaurant while drinking cocktails and they'll base their decisions solely on the opinions of whoever buys them lunch. The Feds that are hostile to the ways of this country will jump on and offer all of the forward thinking police Dept's grants so that they can outfit their Dept's with them. Smaller Dept's will pick up on this and jump on the bandwagon, assuming that the larger Dept's. have all of the kinks worked out of the system. Even the civilian world will pick up on as every manufacturer will have their own version,and the large mail order companies like Midway U.S.A. will even have their own logos on them. They'll be featured in every gun magazine and sportsman publication and even the air soft players will have them.

Eventually, it will be determined that several cops were killed due to defective equipment or because their wrist cards got accidentally erased by some electromagnetic interference and another Government study costing several billion dollars and talking 3 years will be launched. There will be serious talk on the news media about pulling the design altogether, but the large Dept's will balk at the cost of replacement with some money passing under the table, that thought will eventually go away.

They'll go after the inventor, looking to blame him,but they wont find him because he'll be sipping Mai-Tais on an obscure beach somewhere out in the middle of the Indian Ocean in a resort hotel that only millionaires know about while laughing his tail off knowing that the millions he made is in a Swiss bank account safe from prying eyes.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I could swear that in my copy of Gun Digest Concealed Carry, Mas says he has a friend that builds guns with a trigger lock that is released via a magnetic ring worn on the shooters hand. This method is way smaller and if the lock were moved mechanically by magents you would not have to worry about wearing out the batterys. Of course the issue of placing your hand on the holster to retain the gun would defet the lock. I guess the proper technic would be to raise your hands at let the guy grab at the gun, then karate chop doen onto his neck ala Mall Ninja training.

Quote Originally Posted by sentioch View Post
    And I used to think this was the most over the top holster,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VsHlaWS2xE
    Hasn't this idiot ever heard of a snap cap? Yikes!

Administrator
    Yes, actually that was done on S&W revolvers years ago as a custom modification. I'm not sure WHO was doing it but, here is the way I remember it...I might get some of this wrong because I've not thought about it for years.

There is a magnetic ring. Part of the front strap of the revolver is milled away or removed. Then there is some sort of an insert installed with a piece that physically blocks the hammer spring. The hammer cannot move to the rear so the revolver can't cycle or fire.
    When the magnetic ring contacts the inserted device it pulls the blocking material out of the way and the revolver will fire.

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    I could swear that in my copy of Gun Digest Concealed Carry, Mas says he has a friend that builds guns with a trigger lock that is released via a magnetic ring worn on the shooters hand. This method is way smaller and if the lock were moved mechanically by magents you would not have to worry about wearing out the batterys. Of course the issue of placing your hand on the holster to retain the gun would defet the lock. I guess the proper technic would be to raise your hands at let the guy grab at the gun, then karate chop doen onto his neck ala Mall Ninja training.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links