Yeah...I Know It's Just A Prototype Holster ~ The Radio Frequency I. D. Carry Rig.

This is a discussion on Yeah...I Know It's Just A Prototype Holster ~ The Radio Frequency I. D. Carry Rig. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I DO like it when people think "out of the box" because it's impossible to predict how/where any budding idea will ultimately end up at ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yeah...I Know It's Just A Prototype Holster ~ The Radio Frequency I. D. Carry Rig.

Administrator

Talking Yeah...I Know It's Just A Prototype Holster ~ The Radio Frequency I. D. Carry Rig.

I DO like it when people think "out of the box" because it's impossible to predict how/where any budding idea will ultimately end up at some future point in time.

The first "computer" filled an entire room...now they are seriously talking about putting the Internet & total Web Access into a contact lens.

You seasoned "Holster Aficionados" will get a true visual hoot out of this VIDEO none the less.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Interesting. I'm sure they can get it smaller...

Honestly, it doesn't thrill me, though. It's not that I'm just old, or old school. It's just the engineer in me that prefers low-tech solutions. Low-tech tends to be rugged, doesn't run out of batteries, & doesn't tend to break when it gets smashed as you roll around on the ground. I've always tried to architect solutions with the fewest moving parts and critical paths.

los
    The prototype is full of oversized doors that open into rooms filled with powerful pungnent odors that burn the nostril.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Geez, even if they reduce the size, you have to relearn walking so you didn't swing your arm past the holster. All that unlocking and locking would wear out the batteries PDQ.

Other than that ONE issue, I WANT one. No, not really

What if the draw starts from a hands up position instead of hands down at sides? The wrist wouldn't pass the sensor. On the other hand, if a perp is trying to take an officer's gun, the officer will react by putting his hand near the gun, which then defeats the retention lock.

Seems like an overly complicated, but less effective, solution to a problem that has already been solved. I have to wonder if the inventor has any first-hand experience with guns , carry, or weapons retention. Notice there's no gun in the video and he sounds like he has an accent. At times he sounds possibly South African, German, or Eastern European.

If the system were perfected, it would be quite neat. But the holster based RFID reader would need to have batteries which could fail. Given how much people gripe about the remote possibility that a tiny object can block a serpa holster, I can only imagine how much flak a complex system like this would get from the internet commandos.

A waste of time and money, why can't these people find something worthwhile to exercise their gray matter on?
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

VIP Member
    This will fit right in with the so-called smart gun technology. Interesting but not practical.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Is it me, or is this a solution in search of a problem?

The moment something like this is mandated for LEOs and military, I then MIGHT consider looking at something like this....but not until then. What problem do they think they are trying to solve?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

They are trying to solve the age old problem of guns jumping out of holsters and shooting people with no human involvement. That or they are trying to solve the problem of being too easy for someone to draw a pistol to save their life.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Lead Moderator
    Needs a little work!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    As has been mentioned, the hand/wrist goes near the holster a thousand times a day; how will you keep the holster from being incidentally "unlocked" all those times? And, of course, what if the officer is (gasp!) unable to do the "correct" draw stroke required to unlock the holster? Say, for instance, he's in his car? In a physical struggle?

This not only "needs work," it needs to be scrapped. It is far more dangerous, IMO, to the person wearing it than just about any other holster system I can think of - unless your "holster" involves pointing the gun at your own head with your finger on the trigger....
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    This not only "needs work," it needs to be scrapped. It is far more dangerous, IMO, to the person wearing it than just about any other holster system I can think of - unless your "holster" involves pointing the gun at your own head with your finger on the trigger....
    Concur! +1000
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    It's sleek. Very concealable.

I wouldn't even really consider it a prototype. It's an early stage development. Obviously, the technology will be downsized drastically. I think the idea is good, but if I were to use it, I'd want an implant, not a removable chip. Fault #1, I see: If your arm is hanging naturally, the lock should be disengaged. What then?
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    This guy must have designed that rig.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links