Surprise! Holsters!

This is a discussion on Surprise! Holsters! within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Between yesterday and today I received my three new holsters, and as such I will dedicate a post to each one both for ease of ...

Thread: Surprise! Holsters!

Surprise! Holsters!

Between yesterday and today I received my three new holsters, and as such I will dedicate a post to each one both for ease of reading and not having to listen to me ramble for eons.

Yesterday I received my holster, an American Heritage, from Garrett Holsters for my 1911 along with the mag carrier that was a promotional when I ordered my holster. The holster is dyed dark brown, almost chocolate, with the Hermann Oak lining option. It came and was a bit tight so I wrapped the muzzle of my 1911 in one layer of wax paper and inserted it into the holster twice and that broke it in to what I desired. The wait time was about a month due to circumstances beyond Ron's control (winter weather in the north affecting leather supply lines) and I don't blame him one bit for going over the stated 2 week lead time. He walked me through the order over the phone and everything is exactly as I asked for it to be and Ron is as nice as can be. He'll definitely be getting me and my friends' business again!

This holster is fantastically smooth on the draw and has about 1/4" of vertical play before friction takes over in retention, which is advantageous for me because I have no hips to hold my belt in place and I need just enough retention to hold my 1911 in place without giving me a wedgie; additionally that 1/4" of play is enough to get the front of the safety past the sweat shield to where my thumb can easily disengage the safety early on in my draw.

That being said I can carefully turn it upside down and the gun stays fine, and will wiggle free after about five seconds of jostling the holster back and forth; it will also fall out with a moderate enough sharp downward force when it is upside down. When it's on my body the holster conforms and much of the vertical play disappears, enough to hold my full size steel 1911 while doing a handstand. There's also an audible click as the triggerguard passes over the triggerguard boning. The holster also holds very tight to my side.

The mag carrier was dyed to match the holster and is held to the belt with kydex belt loops attached to a modular mounting point that Garrett Holsters provides several different kinds of mount for. The mag is retained extremely well and is very slick to draw as well as holding surprisingly close to the body.

2. Remove Ads

The second holster for my 1911, which I received this afternoon, is a Double Snap IWB from Sideguard Holsters with the reinforcement option. It's an early birthday gift from my parents for my birthday in March. From ordering to delivery was just around the documented 6 week turnaround, true to form for Erik.

Right off the bat I noticed that it is made of substantially heaver leather as compared to the Garrett Holster's American Heritage in the previous post. The holster is extremely tight and I've already done the wax paper on it to help to stretch it that little bit. Even after several dozen draws the retention is still tight. My 1911 won't even budge in the slightest unless held upside down and jerked violently up and down several times, and even then it doesn't readily fall out of the holster.

The snaps on it are not pull the dot snaps, however, the snaps are very tight and take considerable effort to unsnap in any fashion that could happen in day to day use. I feel it will be my go to holster after it's broken in for use during the coming Georgia summer and the Garrett will find use some then too when dress permits as well as becoming my primary winter holster.

Finally we get to my new holster from Simply Rugged for my equally brand new Ruger SP101. The model is the Silver Dollar and has the optional removable belt loops for IWB conversion. It comes in the only one color, Oxblood. It took approximately two weeks from placing my order to having it in my hands.

In addition to being a 15 degree forward canted IWB the Silver Dollar model can be used in a crossdraw straight drop OWB, straight drop strong side OWB, and a 15 degree forward canted OWB strong side.

Retention is similar to the Garrett American Heritage in the first post; however, this holster allows for no vertical play while still holding the SP101 while upside down. Similarly to the American Heritage, a forceful downward force or concerted jiggling will dislodge the gun and it will fall free, however it still holds in any configuration while I do a handstand (I'm a weirdo, I know!)

And here it is all together!

Good job. Nice looking rigs you got there.
    NRA Life Member, Holster Maker
    www.haysholsters.com

GM
    Very nice holsters. Congrats!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Good looking leather.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Good looking leather!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Okay, so I've totally broken in the Garrett American Heritage as well as the Simply Rugged, but I've not yet had time to wear the Side Guard Double Snap much at all though I don't foresee any problems with it.

The American Heritage has become slightly more loose allowing for a lot of up and down play of the 1911 when worn at 4:00, but 90% of the play disappears when worn at the 3:00 position. The 1911 will now fall out of the holster if doing a handstand at 4:00 and I'm not sure how I feel about that as that is where it's situated when I carry my SP101 as a BUG in the AIWB position. When at the 4:00 position it takes almost no effort at all to draw. The only other thing that's happened is that the stitching on the lower part at the end of the muzzle on the back of the holster is that the thread gets grabbed by the velcro of my cargo shorts back pocket and pulls it out a little bit in a frayed mess. I corrected it by cutting the frayed end down a bit and using a momentary touch of the lighter to singe the thread back down, a little trick I picked up being an Eagle Scout. It may need to go back for a retention screw if it gives me any trouble down the road, but I'm the sort of guy who always gets the short end of the stick so to speak as it is a very rare occurrence that I buy something that actually works the first go around and I probably messed up the retention with the wax paper trick so it's entirely my fault in that case.

The mag carrier has been flawless and the mounting system is very comfortable.

The Simply Rugged Silver Dollar is outstanding; however, I had a lot of dye transfer from the back of the holster onto a few white t-shirts for a while, but that has resolved itself for the most part, though the IWB loops are still transferring dye to the top of my pants which I have attempted to fix by applying the same shoe polish to the offending areas. I also had cracking of the leather on the front, but fortunately the color of my holster turned out very dark and I was able to use black shoe polish I had on hand to neatly restore the front. Not advertised on the Simply Rugged site is that the IWB loops for the Silver Dollar make it an outstanding AIWB holster as it totally shrouds the hammer!

The Silver Dollar is very loose with it's retention while not on the body and will not hold my SP101 when held upside down, but it is a very traditional pancake design and as soon as it is on the body it conforms and becomes very retentive OWB while IWB the belt provides tension and effectively retains the firearm.

Happy Birthday and enjoy the holsters!
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Nice, congrats on the new holsters

Looks nice... i odered my holster from Erik back in january, and am coming up on my six week mark soon... cant wait... all the quality from those three manufacturers look awesome.... truly they have great pride in their craftmanship. Bunker

Links